Nokia Cark 91 Install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
HI folks , having to transport my carkit into the new wagon , i decided to buy a smart lead which powers the cark91 and also mutes the radio when a call comes in and plays the audio through the front speakers.

When reading the instructions on how to fit the lead , there is a big section talking about installation into a C/E class 2001> .

With this section : Attention mercedes C&E class . There is no ignition sense wire on th radio ISO connector . The radio is controlled by a BUS wire . MISTAKES WILL BE EXPENCIVE .

Ok , after thinking about how much "EXPENCIVE" was , im not wondering why i need the ignition sense wire connected in the first place as the phone works with the ignition in position 0.

What im asking is if anyone knows if i really need the ignition sense wire connected up and if i don't connect it , what will happen.

Any help is appreciated..

:bannana: :bannana:

If the phone works in position '0', and you dont link it to the ignition, doesnt that mean that the car kit will always be on thus draining your battery?

Yes , youre right. But the phone kit is supposed to work without the key in the ignition and the instructions make this quite clear.

What I don't understsand is if the Kit is supposed to work without the ignition on , then why does it need to be connected up to the sense wire?:confused:

But the radio doesnt work with the ignition on '0'?

If so, then perhaps this is the reason...you could end up with the radio being fried by the current from the car kit.

Fuzzer,

This Document might be of some use as it explains the Ignition Sense feature.

The ignition sense feature prevents your car kit from draining the battery by executing an auto power off 20 seconds after the ignition has been turned off.

No probs mate. Just fitted a Cark126 in my car. Mine already had a kit in it but wouldn't fit my phone. :(

As most of the wiring was in, didn't have to fit the antenna or microphone, thank god! :D

It was certainly easier than I thought it would be.

I thought it was going to be easy too untill i found out on the new C/E class mercedes have taken the ignition sense lead out of the ISO plug as the radio ignition sense is now controled by the fibre OPTIC D2B bus in the car.

The location to get the ignition sense lead now is a black lead with a yellow stripe up it within the transmission harness behind the radio and im not cutting into that :(

I bought a Mute harness from dashmount , the mercedes 45 mute and also the console which looks to replace the whole side of the dash instead of the bolt on one in the w202.

The mute harness is great quality and so is the OEM console.

Pitty its not all plain sailing as i throught it might be .... ahh well , might just get the dealer to fit it into the car as its only going to be the labour content as againsed my having to replace the transmission loom:(

Thats a shame mate. Do you have a factory fitted stereo? Mines a Blaupunkt SatNav unit which is why I guess it has the ignition sense as part of the loom?

Naaa mate, screw that ignition sense lead, it's a pain in the a*se anyway. One of my mates fitted his cark-91 to his vectra (eurgh) with a dashmount lead and all it does is switch the phone off after 20 seconds of turning off the ignition. Annoying since you have to manually turn the phone on again.

I fitted a cark-91 to my '02 W203 C-Class and it was a breeze.

Connect the RED wire straight to the battery (theres a plastic grommet leading to the engine bay from the back of the passenger footwell)

Connect the BLACK wire to an earthing point (plenty of them in the engine bay)

Connect the MUTE lead (can't remember the colour) to the Phone Mute input on the radio ISO (again, cant remember which one that is but I can find out tonight) I scotch-blocked it on!!!

This works a treat, incoming calls mute the radio and the head unit/dash screen display PHONE and when you've finished the radio comes back on.

As for ignition sense; Surely it's only going to drain the battery if you're dim enough to leave the phone in the cradle overnight. The "hub" itself doesn't draw enough current to drain the battery. Mine's been left for 2 weeks while on holiday and the car started first turn when I got back.

I don't see how it turns the phone off? Surely all it does is to cut the power to the cradle when the ignition is off?

My Cark126 doesn't do that.

Thanks zygote , i think im going to give it a try . Ive got the Dashmount lead already , but , ill miss out the ignition sense lead i think. Ive also got the mercedes console which looks quite neat. i Got a Tax disc aerial too which works well and what ive got in my car just now.

zygote , how did you manage with the Fibre optic cable on the back of the setero , was there enough of it to work round it?

It only works with the 6210 to turn it off , ive got Two 6310i's that i use and the firmware does not switch the phone off Only the 6210 turns off.

Hmmmmm....heh heh.... what fibre optic? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I have no idea. My C-Class doesn't have comand/cd changer, just the Audio 10 CD/Radio so maybe it was a bit easier for me. I'm afraid I can't comment on cars with comand or changers, sorry.

But how hard can it be? The worst case is that you don't have audio mute (until you work up enough courage to fit the dashmount lead), the actual cark-91 just needs power, the rest is pre-wired and just plugs in to the hub.

here is my final install

17.jpg

Last edited:
Originally posted by fuzzer
zygote , how did you manage with the Fibre optic cable on the back of the setero , was there enough of it to work round it?

I was told they couldn't connect my Nokia bluetooth kit to the stereo in mine because of the fibre optic wiring between the head unit and the amp.

;)

Lovely dashmount lead which was great and easy and also i had to find an ignition sence lead black with a yellow stripe from the loom next to the transmission. ( i.e not as bad as it sounds as its just the power supply to the ciggy lighter)

The reason you cannot just stick the lead streight in is because on the newer mercedes , the ignition sence is controled by the fibre optic on the back of the unit through the bus. All it basically means is that you have to tap into it from somewhere else in the car.

Im not 100% about the W211 , but , the w210 and W202 and w203 were easy enough , the big thing is installing the actual telephone console , took me ages.

Originally posted by fuzzer
;)
Im not 100% about the W211 , but , the w210 and W202 and w203 were easy enough , the big thing is installing the actual telephone console , took me ages.

No such problems with the Nokia bluetooth kit! I'm really pleased with it.

It was dashmount that said they couldn't connect to the car speakers because of the fibre optic wiring, 'no solution available at present' they said.

it is coreect the 6210 will switch off but a 6310 will not so you dont need to worry about ign sense

Last edited:
pipehose said:
it is coreect the 6210 will switch off but a 6310 will not so you dont need to worry about ign sense

yep , as i worked out. Still connected it up tho.

Having said that , the Mercedes OEM carkit turns a 6310i off if you leave it in the cradle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom