Nokia E71 and the 3 network ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Currently with O2 and have ben for over 10 years however walking past a 3 shop notices an advert for a Nokia E71 unlimited e-mail, text, skpe, free 3 to 3 calls, 200 mins cross network talk for £20 a month.

I'm now on a month by month contract with my O2 Orbit as I have had it so long and not changed as £15 a month.

Don't use the phone 'that' much for talking so 200 mins probably ok.

Deal looked good and liked the look of the phone? my concern is with 3 ?? any good? Anyone rate the phone.

Thanks in advance

I have had the E71 for 6 months now and am very pleased with it. Been with 3 for 18 months and again no problems at all.

The E71 is much more than a phone its a PDA really. Has a 1Gb memory card allowing plenty of room for data and music files. Surfing is good but has the limitation of the small screen but useful when needed.The QWERTY keyboard seems small but is actually very good, certainly makes sending texts much easier. I for one would recommend the E71.

Can TomTom be installed on it?

if so I guess it needs an external GPS? as my current 02 Orbit its all built in which is handy?

thanks

i have a E71 on 3 and generally quite pleased with it. The 3 network is FAR better than it used to be. Was last with them about 5 years ago and the coverage wasnt great but since I've had this phone (about 6 months) I've never once had a problem with coverage.

The phone itself is a bit of a 'jack of all trades' IMO. Not a bad effort for texting, emailing etc but I hve never managed to get mine to work properly with the 'push' settings on gmail. I like the fact that symbian allows various third party apps (like google maps) and the built in GPS provides a very basic sat nav (tho i think voice guided mapping only has a short licence inclusive). Web surfing is a bit of a pain and absolutly nothing compared to apples efforts on the iphone (lack of pixels and touch screen to blame)

All that said I'd still recommend it, just dont expect it to be able to replace your laptop/camera/webbroser/satnav! :)

Last edited:
yep- i'm not sure if tomtom can be made to work with symbian but there are some others available at a cost. indeed the gps is buit in

I'm not a big fan of three - I use them at the moment, but after this contract I'll probably leave. A couple of things that surprised us (because we didn't read the small print carefully enough or ask the right questions of the sales person):

- Three do not do per second billing. If you make a one second call, it uses up one of your "inclusive" minutes
- Minutes do not roll over from month to month. If you don't use your minutes, they vanish and are lost for ever

I know, we should have checked more carefully. But this really did surprise us. So be careful.

-simon

The phone is fantastic. My wife has had one for a cople of months now. We've been on o2 for ages and got it as a free upgrade plus about £80 for her old / ancient Nokia N73.

As stated above, built in GPS, great smartphone although the camera can only be described as average.

I'd check what the coverage is like for 3 in the areas you frequent most - have a word with o2, esepcially if you've been with them a while - call them to cancel your contract and mention the deal 3 have they may get close to matching it - I'd even pay a little more to stick with o2, better customer service (in my view, per second billing etc.)

Yes, Tom Tom goes on easily on any Symbian Device.

I currently use an E51 - very happy with it as it does everything I throw at it.

Little things make a big difference like it'll pair with a bluetooth GPS receiver and a Bluetooth headset at the same time.

Spike does the E71 need a seperate GPS unit for it to work?

Thats why I like my Orbit now, its all built in :)

Hello

Currently with O2 and have ben for over 10 years however walking past a 3 shop notices an advert for a Nokia E71 unlimited e-mail, text, skpe, free 3 to 3 calls, 200 mins cross network talk for £20 a month.

I'm now on a month by month contract with my O2 Orbit as I have had it so long and not changed as £15 a month.

Don't use the phone 'that' much for talking so 200 mins probably ok.

Deal looked good and liked the look of the phone? my concern is with 3 ?? any good? Anyone rate the phone.

Thanks in advance

Hi mate, I moved from three to O2 a few years ago because of their terrible service. My brother is still on three and his service is rubbish. I would never go on three again until their service is as good as others.

I'm also paying £20 a month with a free high end phone.. I get 600 min with free O2 to O2 calls and free weekend xnet calls!... Just go through the retentions department and they should sort you out!

I've been with o2 since they were Cellnet. Not even BT Cellnet, just Cellnet. I foolishly moved to 3 a couple of years ago to get the Motorola A1000. Ended up disliking the phone and hating the network.

I ended up using a piece of crap NEC phone because 3 refused to fix my A1000 when the screen broke, even though they I was paying for insurance with accidental damage that included the screen.

As soon as that contract ended, I moved back to o2 and unless o2 screw up badly, I will be staying with them. They have great customer service in UK based call centers and they did me a superb deal on a Nokia E90.

3 on the other hand were obnoxious jobsworths with no flexibility in the way they worked and no concern for the customer as long as the money was coming in. I have no plans to use them ever again.

I've always found o2's tariffs to be excellent value, especially if you don't need a new phone - the SIM only tariffs are fantastic. From time to time, the other networks release deals that are better, but I've found again and again that if you just wait for a month or two, o2 will come back on top with something even better.

I'm also told their home broadband is great. I know from experience their mobile broadband is, as long as you're in a good reception area.

And no, I don't work for them, just a VERY satisfied customer! :p:cool:

Spike does the E71 need a seperate GPS unit for it to work?

Thats why I like my Orbit now, its all built in :)

Yes I believe it requires a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Small price to pay however as its half the size of your orbit and twice as fast and more stable to boot. The battery lasts probably 2 or 3 times as long too.

(I also have an XDA Orbit thats now sat in the drawer for more than 6 months)

Interesting comments about three also...

I've also been with o2m when they were Cellent, Genie etc etc so a LONG time. Its the data that is free that appeals also. Free internet and e-mail. On O2 the tarrifs for this are quite expensive.

As I've had my Orbit over 2 years I'm on a £15 a month deal with free talk time and text. Have to say all works well, just fancy a change of phone and nothing appeals on the o2 site except Iphone and I'm not paying £35 month plus what ever the phone is...

I am tempted to move

I'm with O2, £!5 a month for 500 minutes (with per second billing), 500 texts, free O2 to O2 calls and a £1 a day cap on data usage. The Nokia E71 is a great phone which is compatible with my SA BT cradle. 3 network still has patchy coverage as it doesn't have a GSM mode and is not compatible with my SAP BT cradle. No brainer really.

Last edited:
I am using a E71 (on three)

So far this year I've had an Omnia, Blackberry Bold, N95 8Gb and a HTC TYTNII

Although I love my windows phones I keep going back to the E71 - it's slim, sleek a few grams lighter than the N95 (but doesnt feel that way) and most of its build quality is unlike anything i've come accross for a long time.....

The only thing I would change on it would be the camera as that is poor. You can use TOM TOM with the built in GPS but that's a hack. Garmin works very nicely on this device too using built in GPS

Symbian runs very nice on this also there is no lag in the OS... Please bar in mind that emails are displayed as text only... you can use MFe client for OTA synch

you wont be dissapointed with this phone BATTERY life rocks also!!!

Note to Nokia - please make it so that we can charge via usb!

Update,

Checked out the E71 on the net and read a few reports, then was almost going to change from o2 today to 3 but thought as others have mentioned ring 02....

Well bit of a result I think, E71 (that isn't even listed unless you choose the Business tariff) with..

Free E71
600 Mins Talk
1000 Text
Free voice mail
Free 02 to 02
Unlimited data

£20 month.

I'm a little concerned at the free data but did check with her that checking e-mails / surfing the web is free and she said yes. I checked this twice with her over the phone.... so We will see. Cannot see the tarrif listed on line will have to check the business tariffs but seems a good deal.

So sticking with 02, keep my number etc etc all good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom