Non-available options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, Citizens.

Not aimed at Mercedes in particular, but what do you wish you could have bought your car with, but the manufacturer doesn't offer?

I've had the Ypsilon coming up on a year, and overall have been pleased with my choice. It's comfortable, well equipped, frugal and fairly nippy for what it is.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the car (I'm assuming that's most people, they didn't sell well at all in the UK), it's based on the Fiat 500/Panda platform and shares most of the mechanicals. They still sell them in Italy and the range is roughly pitched as Panda = practical, 500 = cute and fun, Ypsilon = luxury in a small package.

The Ypsilon came with 3 engine choices, the 1.2 4 cylinder (smooth, but gutless), the 1.3 diesel (a bit agricultural, but economical) and the 0.9 twinair (unusual, but interesting). I bought the twinair, which has character in bucketloads but I have to say (as did many of the reviewers at the time) that perhaps it doesn't sit that comfortably with the luxury image they were trying to portray.

So, back to my original point - if I had the choice I reckon the car would have been perfect if I could have bought it with a small capacity V6 - say 1.6 or 1.8 - and about 140 to 150 bhp. Given the luxury rather than sporting remit, definitely an automatic, preferably a torque converter or possibly a dual clutch, 6 speed would probably be enough.

I think this would drop the 0-60 down to between 8-9 seconds and up the top speed to 120+, more than enough to keep up with the traffic. Fuel consumption would obviously be down, but as I do few miles this is of little concern.

This of course is just pie in the sky as nobody offers an engine/gearbox combination like this, but what would you have specified given the choice?

Cheers,

Gaz

PS. Druk is excluded as he'd simply go away and build it. ;)

A Fiat 500 with V6...? :D

Small capacity V6 engines (F1-style) are quite rare, Mitsubishi used to do one some years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6A1_engine

But other than that, the high performance variant of a car this size would typically have a very stressed turbocharged 3-cyl or 4-cyl engine.

Mazda did a 1.8 V6 in a sporty car some years ago.
Can't remember what it was though.

Mazda did a 1.8 V6 in a sporty car some years ago.
Can't remember what it was though.

Was that the MX-3?

Options I would have liked to see is more colour choice Inside and Out on MB's, which ultimately lead to me migrating to Audi.

I'm also not keen on the current trend for options packages.

Was that the MX-3?

Yup. Once had one om my shortlist for a company car as it was an interesting combo of a small-ish car with a smoooooooth engine.

Didn't get one as my allowance increased a bit which brought a Golf VR6 into the equation. Another small-ish car with a smoooooth engine.

Then it went up a third time and I ended up in a 200SX. Lots of fun but a bit gruff.

Then when then BIK nonsense started I came out of the scheme and ended up in a C43. Guess what? A relatively small car with a smooth smooth smooth engine. 14 years on and I'm now on my 3rd V8 MB.

Other than AMG's I don't think they do V8's anymore.

Hopefully the diesel thing will bring "normal" V8's back. But I'm not holding my breath.

Failing that a V6 biturbo.

Don't want to be funny but bar Alfa I've never driven a 4 pot that plays tunes.

Last edited:
I wish car manufacturers offered manual gearboxes as an option not just auto, auto, auto. Seems like development on the manual front has ended around 90's and all the effort is now with higher gearing autos.

I wish car manufacturers offered manual gearboxes as an option not just auto, auto, auto. Seems like development on the manual front has ended around 90's and all the effort is now with higher gearing autos.

I suppose with more and more hybrid/EVs we will see even fewer manuals offered.

The JZR has a five speed sequential (manual) gearbox - lovely, but unfortunately doesn't have reverse!

Last edited:
As all my cars are rather old, I now have a different approach. There are many things I really wish the manufacturer had not provided from new, as they invariably go wrong. Sunrooves - nasty noisy things that let in water and allow rust. Non-removable radios - I have Beckers, why put up with that awful stock system. The ability to go round the Nurburgring very fast, stupid big wheels. Excess air-bags - who needs passenger ones? I only need easily adjustable and supportive seats, comfortable ride, wheels that don't crack at the first pothole, aircon for the summer and a nice engine. The rest is entirely pointless.

I can only think of one real improvement:

Turbo-charging the OM606 in the W124, allowing for a higher geared diff ratio and a 5 speed auto (but not under any circumstances the 722.5!).

Last edited:
If Charles Morgan wants to call them "sunrooves" that's fine by me.

The ability to go round the Nurburgring very fast, stupid big wheels.

LOL - so true!

I only need easily adjustable and supportive seats, comfortable ride, wheels that don't crack at the first pothole, aircon for the summer and a nice engine. The rest is entirely pointless.

That's such a sensible list.

BoristheBounce said:
Yes the MX3 I actually went to buy one for my wife hadn't realised they had discontinued them and ended up with an RX8 for her instead.:thumb:
A work colleague of mine had one in around 91 or 92. Maybe a J or K plate. Nice vehicle.

I loathe the ...fs construction, it means copious spittle and a sound not unlike a tyre deflating rapidly. Add in the increasingly common soft r in roof and you end up with a mess of sloppy consonants.

I'll stick with rooves.

Heat seeking missiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom