Non Mercedes - My Pajero 3.5 V6 Overheating

Discussion in 'Engine' started by brucemillar, Oct 11, 2016.

1. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Oh God will it ever end?

My 3.5 V6 which recently had new head gaskets & water pump + radiator re-cored and all new hoses is again overheating. I have a calibrated aftermarket temp gauge which is reading 98-100 at motorway speeds and steam coming from the rad cap at a standstill.

I have no obvious leaks but do have a gurgling sound when the engine is running this seems to coming from the front end. I have a very audible squeaking/chirping sound at the front end.

This started today!

When I let it cool down, the header tank was empty and the rad took about 1.5 liters of coolant to fill up.

Started her up with the rad cap off and the within 2 minutes the coolant started to surge and gush up through the rad neck. Like she was burping but violent. We are talking volcanic spewing. This is continuous and pulsating as it pushes coolant up out the rad neck. If I replace the rad cap it pushes it into the header tank.

Any thoughts please.

Head Gasket?
    Water pump?

I have no loss in power (yet)

2. jotter22

jotter22 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
    Bruce i think it's time for a gallon of petrol and a box of matches for this one:doh:....Donation's for popcorn supplies gladly received!

Tony.

1 person likes this.
  3. moonloops

moonloops MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Last time I saw a car do that, there was a hole in the cylinder water jacket.

4. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    The previous saga- for those who missed it.
    http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/195011-crank-position-sensor.html
    Sounds like a CHG or cracked head- they crack between the valves evidently but could be several causes less serious . Time for a compression test perhaps? I notice no mention of thermostat renewal either? Can't remember if it was ever renewed right now?

5. pembssurf

pembssurf Active Member

Car:
    toyota
    Also could be something as simple as a decent size airlock.

6. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Grober

Yes. Everything was replaced, and I do mean everything. We used all genuine Mitsi parts including the thermostat and rad cap.

Heads removed refurbished and skimmed
    New head gaskets
    New Water Pump
    Cam Belt
    Tensioners
    Rad Re-cored
    New Hoses
    Stat
    Temp senders
    Gauge
    Crank sensor & flag
    Cam sensor
    Ignition pack
    Coils
    Plugs
    Leads
    ECU
    Wiring

Three weeks ago:

New exhaust
    New Brake Discs and Calipers all round.

Considered "one of the best in the country" with a 3.6 V6 24 valve engine and very regular servicing running only top quality oil and coolant.

The cost of another engine (even if I could find one) will doom the truck. New heads (I suspect they will not skim any further off these ones) will also doom the truck.

We have to have a 4x4 for the winter here, as we live in the land of the single lane track and snow is not good.

7. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    Bruce the 2.8 (and the previous 2.5) diesel are infamous for cracking cylinder heads at or after 100K miles. Replacement heads aren't too expensive and are a modified design to prevent cracking. You can rarely see the crack and often it will not be apparent until the engine is warm. If you (carefully) remove the coolant reservoir cap and start it up, it will be bubbling it's merry head off. You'll also smell combustion gases in the reservoir.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed yours is a petrol. I have no experience of these :doh:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  8. HB

HB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    Sell it on ebay, someone from North Africa will buy it.

9. PobodY

PobodY MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    When my Nissan was doing something similar, it was a split hose on the back of the engine; didn't leak when it was cold, but once the system pressurised it squirted on to the exhaust (so no drips on the floor).

I just happened to hear it hissing when I was taking the wheels off and found it.

10. toolman1954

toolman1954 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 320 CDI Avantgarde, 1997 312d Sprinter
    Start with a pressure test on the cooling system just to eradicate the obvious like hoses and joints. Then pull off a bottom hose and make sure water is being pumped around to rule out the water pump shedding its impeller.

Steve.

1 person likes this.
  11. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    You seem to have had bad luck with this truck Bruce. Toolman's suggestion of a cooling system pressure check is a good one. Likewise pump impeller failure. That drive belt squealing sound may be significant in that context. As per usual its just a question of going over the usual suspects one at a time in a process of elimination.

12. markhgg

markhgg Member

Car:
    mercedes E220 cdi
    Have a look at rad cap, seem to remember from pajero owners club years ago that the right cap is marked as 0.9 on it.

13. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    Marhhgg may well be onto something here.

I let the truck cool right down. When I went to remove the rad cap (correct pressure 0.9) the rubber gasket fell apart!!

So I checked:

Oil dipstick = clean oil with no colant.
    Oil Fill Cap = Clean with no coolant
    Header Tank = Clean with no oil
    No excessive steam or drips from exhaust.

So I put 2 liters of clean water into the rad and started the engine with he rad cap off:

No bubbles!!

Waited for the start to open (about 85 on the gauge) it is an 82 stat. Watched as the water visibly moved across the rad. Still no bubbles or burping and I had the nose of the truck point uphill.

Left it running at idle for 30 minutes and all is fine. Fitted an old but reasonable looking rad cap. No coolant pushing out into the header and no steam. Temp stayed at 85 with he engine idling for another 20 minutes.

Ran out of time to test and had to leave it. Next test is to run it up the road.

Please pray to your God that it is a bad rad cap. I need some luck here.

14. markhgg

markhgg Member

Car:
    mercedes E220 cdi
    If you put a condom over the open neck of radiator, see if it inflates, means gasses getting into water, not good. Make sure new cap is 0.9 bar and not 1.1

15. Codger49

Codger49 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W209 CLK500, CLK280; W168 A190; E46 325i
    Be sure to check you have removed all traces of white feathers first though!

16. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    I can't believe I'm saying this on a car forum!

I have no condoms. Can I use a plastic bag?

17. markhgg

markhgg Member

Car:
    mercedes E220 cdi
    lol no in short, if you do a search for pocuk it is a great forum, the guys on there will help you, I used to own one many years ago .

18. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I would suggest before going down the "prophylactic route " just try a decent/ new radiator cap. The fact the seal fell appart would suggest you have found the culprit??

19. OP
    OP
    brucemillar

Car:
    New cap ordered from GSF for collection tomorrow am.

The previous one was a Blueprint one. Not sure what this is but for £9.50 it will prove a point and maybe save my truck.

20. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate