Non-named driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trando

Car
C63 AMG
Can a friend of mine - who has fully comprehensive insurance on his own vehicle - drive my car and be insured to do so even if he is not named on my insurance policy?

I have a reason for asking this friend to do me a favour and drop me and my car off somewhere.

I thought that if you gave permission to another insured driver, that it was ok if that driver drove your car.

Thoughts anyone?

Can a friend of mine - who has fully comprehensive insurance on his own vehicle - drive my car and be insured to do so even if he is not named on my insurance policy?

Only if his cover has DOC - driving other cars - cover. Most, but not all, do - the Government tried to get insurance companies to drop DOC a few years ago due to misuse. Most companies refused but a few did drop it.

It's also generally only on policies if the policyholder is over 25.

No theft cover if he has the extension as its TPO so if he parks it up and it's stolen.....

This would need checking with his insurer as some companies don't cover this, some do but only road traffic act, some 3rd party, some comprehensively.

Well, he's definitely over 25.

I'll get him to check with his insurance as well esp re the DOC.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Could there also be a condition that the borrowed vehicle has to be the same or lower class insurance? Driver insured fully comp to drive his Fiesta might be frowned upon if driving say an S Class.

Could there also be a condition that the borrowed vehicle has to be the same or lower class insurance? Driver insured fully comp to drive his Fiesta might be frowned upon if driving say an S Class.

Nope - that's not an issue at all. This was one of the reasons the Government wanted to stop DOC cover.

Well, he's definitely over 25.

I'll get him to check with his insurance as well esp re the DOC.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

You should really ask to see his certificate of insurance yourself. A lot of people think they're covered and they're not. If he gets caught you would probably get done for Permitting.

The OPs own insurance would cover that.
Wrong I am afraid. Last person who was in charge of the vehicle is who counts. If said person is not on the OP's insurance then DOC extension applies, which as already said is third party only.

Wrong I am afraid. Last person who was in charge of the vehicle is who counts. If said person is not on the OP's insurance then DOC extension applies, which as already said is third party only.

If you think about it for a minute, that can't possibly be correct. Would the policyholder need to to drive the car again to reactivate the insurance?

You're thinking of the situation where the car doesn't have its own insurance. In that case it is still covered under the other drivers DOC cover as long as the stop is incidental to the journey, although that was always a grey area. However now we have continous insurance, the car must be covered in its own right so it's a moot point.

My understanding is that the driven car must also be insured - i.e. you can't use your DOC to drive 3rd party uninsured vehicle?

Trando, the simplest and safest thing to do would be to put your mate on YOUR policy for the day so the car will remain covered fully comp while he/she drives it. Shouldn't be too expensive, well worth the peace of mind. :thumb:

My understanding is that the driven car must also be insured - i.e. you can't use your DOC to drive 3rd party uninsured vehicle?

Agreed, but my question involved someone driving another vehicle under their DOC (if allowed) when the other vehicle is a much higher class of insurance. Insurance companies are not well known for paying out claims where there is any reason for refusal.

It is not enough to read your policy, you have to study all the terms and conditions that accompanied the policy and then check in writing with the company that what you intend would be covered by them.

Better safe than sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom