Non start at times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
My 2006 C 220 Cdi Auto has just started giving a problem.

it spins over and sometimes fires but does not run. It like it’s out of fuel. Once running it’s ok.

Is there any connection with the Auto box or an isolating switch? After I rocked the gear lever it did start but is now faulty again.

any ideas
Thanks.

The transmission inhibitor switch will stop the starter from cranking the engine, so if it's cranking, then it isn't that.

Does the car run normally once on the go? Including high revs?

On a general note, a bottle of Redex/BG/Forte/Millers injectors cleaner and a bit of 'Italian tune-up' will do it no harm.... worth trying it first.

Other possible issues:

Bad fuel?
Glow plugs (but only when the engine is cold)
Fuel pressure?
Faulty injectors?
Fuel filter?

Best check for fault codes using STAR or iCarsoft.

Crank position sensor maybe ? usually pretty easy to change DIY. As markjay mentions , glow plugs maybe. I had a diesel car once that all of a sudden took forever to start from cold but ran perfectly when hot . New glow plugs sorted that out

The transmission inhibitor switch will stop the starter from cranking the engine, so if it's cranking, then it isn't that.

Does the car run normally once on the go? Including high revs?

On a general note, a bottle of Redex/BG/Forte/Millers injectors cleaner and a bit of 'Italian tune-up' will do it no harm.... worth trying it first.

Other possible issues:

Bad fuel?
Glow plugs (but only when the engine is cold)
Fuel pressure?
Faulty injectors?
Fuel filter?

Best check for fault codes using STAR or iCarsoft.
Thanks for the reply.
it’s been running fine. Last week I changed the oil and filter and also the auto gearbox oil and filter but it’s done a couple of hundred miles since Without problem.
it sounded like when you have air in the fuel trying to start but it never started. When it decided to start after moving the gear lever it just started clean and ran well.
I think that when I let go of the key it kept in cranking until I turned the key back?
all a bit strange.

thanks

Crank position sensor maybe ? usually pretty easy to change DIY. As markjay mentions , glow plugs maybe. I had a diesel car once that all of a sudden took forever to start from cold but ran perfectly when hot . New glow plugs sorted that out
It was after a 40 mile run when thus happened and the engine was still hot. It had been stood maybe 15 min?
thanks

Does sound typical of a failing CPS. Any stored codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom