non starting/no central locking or internal lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markymark1

Car
Mercedes C230 1997
Hi just got w202 c230 started ok this morning, had it valeted now wont start, have no central locking or internal lights any help, thought it may be key fob replaced batteries. should the led in the remote only flash once when the button is pressed.
regards mark

The key is unlikely to affect the lights. Try using the door lock and see what happens and check all the fuses.

Hi just got w202 c230 started ok this morning, had it valeted now wont start, have no central locking or internal lights any help, thought it may be key fob replaced batteries. should the led in the remote only flash once when the button is pressed.
regards mark
more info would be helpful? have you got ignition/dash lights? If not, try charging the battery... You May find that because the Valeter (I like a person that uses proper English and not the ba$tardised English that a certain county uses, Feckin detailing in deed:mad:) had left the interior lights were left on while being Valeted ;). Usually due to the cold weather and old battery will kill it outright, especially if the interior lights are left on for a good while..

If there is no light after charging the battery start checking fuses?

Forgot to mention, Have you tried opening your boot?

Last edited:
Hi all dashborad lights, cranks over lovely no central locking even if the button on door is pushed down cannot see any lights on rvm(ie green /red) and no interior lights the alarm has two sensors in either side of the window, rectangular and held on with what likes velco are these genuine fitments. Does the immobilser stop the central locking from working even when the button is pressed down on the door also the interior light was set to come on when the door was opened and goes off automatic after a few seconds do you think that the whole immobilser has got screwed up. Cannot remember ever seeing any activity from the red/green led also does the car emit a red led as some cars to say that is armed to deter theives as i have never seen one but have only owned the car a few days?
regards mark

I don't think the locking works from the door button, you have to use either the oustide lock or the dashboard button to activate it.

Dashboard switch where is it only owned the car a few days and waiting for handbook. Do you think that its all immobilser connected as i say never seen gree/red led or any flashing led to say that its armed.
Regards Mark

Just a thought the batteries in the remote were very low only about 3.0v and 2.8v when new are about 3.3v.I have changed them will the not start until the remote is programed or is the programming just for the remote central locking.
Regards Mark

Hi car cranks fine all lights ok just wont start, central locking not working either by key or dash switch and interior lights not working. One possibility is the valeter said the remote wasnt working but he was standing a long way away like he does with his bmw i think he may have screwed up the remote by keep pushing the button as i have read this before.
Replaced batteries as they tested quite low instead of about 3.3v new were reading about 2.8v have tried to sync as i have read but cannot get any of the leds in the rear view mirror to illuminate perhaps the immobilser has got screwed up perhaps disconnecting the battery will reset.
Regards Mark

Sounds as if there's maybe a problem with the convenience module which is situated under the rear seat(nearside- central locking pump is on the other)). Maybe some connections got dislodged during the valet process? Hopefully the valet didn't include the dreaded pressure wash in the engine compartment??

Not tried disconnecting the battery as yet, the convenience module as mentioned before what does this do? do you have to remove the rear seat to access? Also he gave the engine bay a quick blow round as he said i looked after he done it and it didnt look very wet as he said he doesnt was the engine bay as it can cause promlems.As i say he started the car and moved it further down the road done the valet then said the remote dont work still think he screwed the system up by keep pushing the button, other wise it looks like he's paying to get fixed i would assume that they all have insurance in case they do any damage.
Regards Mark

The convenience module is located in the metal base for the rear seat. You have to remove the seat/s base cushion to see it. The base/s are held down by 2 metal clips ( push them towards the rear while lifting the front of the seat cushion to free them up. Sometimes valeters take out the seat cushions to vacuum/shampoo them. The convenience unit controls things like central locking, interior lights, alarm etc. Have you tried operating your electric windows to see if they are working?

yes they work fine

(I like a person that uses proper English

Well, I'm only a bloody foreigner and English is not my first language, BUT... :D

Mmore info would be helpful? Hhave you got ignition/dash lights? If not, try charging the battery... You mMay find that because the valetValeter (I like a person whothat uses proper English and not the ba$tardised English that a certain county uses, bloodyFeckin detailing indeed:mad:) had left the interior lights were left on while being vValeted ;). Usually due to the cold weather and old battery will kill it outright, especially if the interior lights are left on for a good while...

If there is no light after charging the battery, start checking fuses?.

Forgot to mention:, hHave you tried opening your boot?

In proper English, the use of capitals is subject to certain rules and the grammar of the underlined sentences is incorrect, with the grammar a bit questionable elsewhere too (e.g. I'd replace "mention" by "ask"). Also, the Oxford English Dictionary gives "valet" as the person who cleans a car :devil: :D.

When learning English as our third language, we did use a book on grammar though ;).

All offered in good spirit ;). We could also discuss "it's" versus "its", "effect" and "affect" and the use of a certain preposition instead of (the ellipsis of) the conjugated form of the verb "to have" which I notice so often... :D

Well, I'm only a bloody foreigner and English is not my first language, BUT... :D

I'd say you have been cheating. How do I know if forum members originally come from UK if they use English as you do instead of writing like myself. :mad:

I'd say you have been cheating. How do I know if forum members originally come from UK if they use English as you do instead of writing like myself. :mad:

Thanks, but if you hadn't put "Europe" as your location, I would not have known you were not from the UK either. :D

In proper English, the use of capitals is subject to certain rules and the grammar of the underlined sentences is incorrect, with the grammar a bit questionable elsewhere too (e.g. I'd replace "mention" by "ask"). Also, the Oxford English Dictionary gives "valet" as the person who cleans a car :devil: :D.

When learning English as our third language, we did use a book on grammar though ;).

All offered in good spirit ;). We could also discuss "it's" versus "its", "effect" and "affect" and the use of a certain preposition instead of (the ellipsis of) the conjugated form of the verb "to have" which I notice so often... :D
:D

de⋅tail

[n. di-teyl, dee-teyl; v. di-teyl]

Noun

1. an individual or minute part; an item or particular. 2. particulars collectively; minutiae. 3. attention to or treatment of a subject in individual or minute parts: to postpone detail and concentrate on a subject as a whole. 4. intricate, finely wrought decoration. 5. Engineering. Detail drawing. 6. any small section of a larger structure or whole, considered as a unit. 7. Military. a. an appointment or assignment, as of a small group or an officer, for a special task. b. the party or person so selected: the kitchen detail. c. a particular assignment of duty. 8. the property of an image or of a method of image production to make small, closely spaced image elements individually distinguishable. –verb (used with object) 9. to relate or report with complete particulars; tell fully and distinctly. 10. to mention one by one; specify; list: He detailed the events leading up to the robbery. 11. Military. to appoint or assign for some particular duty: We were detailed to patrol the border. 12. to provide with intricate, finely wrought decoration: lingerie detailed with lace and embroidery. Idiom 13. in detail, item by item; with particulars: The résumé stated his qualifications in detail
Origin:
1595–1605; < F détail, OF, n. deriv. of detailler to cut in pieces, equiv. to de- dis- 1 + tailler to cut < VL *taliāre;

I also speak 3 different languages, Arabic, Croatian, Somali

But as you said "All offered in good spirit":bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::D

markymark1, sorry to hi-jack the thread, I do hope your problem is resolved old bean!

Last edited:
I also speak 3 different languages, Arabic, Croatian, Somali

That was very well done from one who does not speak English. :eek: :D

PS. written assuming the OP got already enough guidance. If not, then just a bump. :)

regards mark

Central locking/alarm module under the carpet in the passengers footwell?

Working on the principle that the valet operation has disturbed something its a distinct possibility if there's an alarm module located there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom