Noob review of the C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prop135

Car
2014 C63 AMG, 2007 Audi TT Roadster, 2007 ML63 AMG
So I have had my 14 place C63 saloon (black, 22k miles) on the clock about 2 and a half weeks now and I thought I would contribute some initial thoughts from a MB noobie. My apologies for this long post.

I have owned various cars in my life, from self built Mk 1 Cavaliers to Audi Quattro coupes to 350hp S14 Nissan 200SX to Audi A6 Allroads. I also spent 5 years working as a trade plater, moving cars for car auctions in the late 90’s. I had never considered a Merc, let alone a C class after my time trade plating, I found the late 90’s early 2000’s mercs uncomfortable and badly put together so I discounted them (except a S500 coupe, which was the exception to the rule)

I actually was looking for a RS6 Avant, I fancied something with some noise and some go plus I have had 9 Audi’s in the past including four 100/A6 avants over the years so I thought I would continue down the path.

As it was, when I got to the garage, the car was an 09 car, quite tatty and sat between a 12 plate M3 and a C63 Saloon. My eyes got a little turned but I was still intrigued with the idea of a V10 estate car. Then I heard the C63 cold start……….The others didn't stand a chance at that point.

Sound

So let's start there. Its subjective, I heard a C63 in a rev off with a Vanquish in London once and I was gob smacked. It's not at the same level as the AM but it has one hell of a sound and when it's on it, making progress at the higher rev levels it sounds just awesome, it's the only word I can use to describe it. It induces a massive smile from me and to be honest, even a normal pull away in second and third it's still a strong noise.

Ergonomics

A posh word for making my lardy carcass comfortable. I rate it as on a par with the A6 for positioning and slightly behind the A6 on seat base comfort on long runs. However the seats are totally different and not really comparable.

Trim and Equipment

I was surprised at how good it is. I don't have a reversing camera or DAB and if I was doing it again I would look for one that had both of those but I can live without them, I have internet radio, bluetooth streaming and once I worked out that there were indicators in the back of the car that give a visual indication when reversing I am finding parking easy. Also, google (other search engines are available) found me comand.co.uk so I think if I really want to I can add them.

Handling

I will be honest, getting back into a performance car after some years away I was concerned. I tend to end up driving on lots of country roads and a combination of mud and rain didn't help my confidence even with all the electronics on the car felt a little bit twitchy. However I had no real concept of how much work the electronics do for us drivers until I had a play in a farmyard last weekend. Entering the yard I was driving at 10mph, round the corner, made sure the yard was clear and booted it, the car gripped. So I turned round and did it again, this time with the traction all the way off. Now in my defence it was wet and muddy but I did not have time to react before I was facing the direction I had just come from. So I did it again……...I used a lot of fuel in that yard. The suspension is firm but not that crashy so I think it's fine on the UK roads.

Fuel

So as I said earlier, I have had the car 2.5 weeks but have driven about 1500 miles in that time under all kinds of driving conditions on all types of roads and can honestly say that by driving normally (or what I consider normally) I am getting an average of 22 mpg out of it. I have had some sport+ and manual hoons where I am getting low teens but for what I do normally I think its reasonable. I used to get 26.5 out of my 3.2 V6 TT so it's not far off of that.

Performance

So i didn't really buy it for this, more for the sound but I do like the fact I can safely overtake slower traffic on back roads without stupid speeds. It takes a lot of the driving stress (if that is even the right word) out of a drive and i don't look for places to overtake like I did in the allroad, the gaps are there without putting people in danger or upsetting those being overtaken. I am aware that most modern hot hatches and sports cars are faster but it's not a problem to me.

Road presence

Is it just me or do cars seem to move out of the way for the C63 on the motorway and dual carriageways? I am not the kind of person who pushes, I like to keep a couple of seconds back but position the car so the driver in front can see me and see that I would like to get past. I also am a firm believer in keep left unless overtaking. In the A6 people look up in the mirrors and seem to decide not to move, in the c63 they seem to just move out of the way. It may just be that I have been lucky so far but where Toyota Yaris’s refused to move now they are all getting out of the way.

So that's my thoughts so far. I am looking to do some road trips in this car, the usual routes in the UK (Evo, North 500 etc) as well as some long Euro trips upt to norway, over to Romania, Alps loop, and Le Mans. I will probably get another car to take the load off of the C63 (987s Boxster and/or an XK8 maybe) but for the time being I will be having fun in the C63.

Future plans

I think I will probably wrap it to protect the paintwork but am still trying to decide on colours. I will get some wheels with winter tyres on, autowatch ghost, reverse camera and DAB maybe. I live not far from PCS so will be seeking advice on mapping and exhaust as well as servicing the car there. I probably won't do that until next year as I have to change insurers for engine mods.

Anyhoo, that’s more than enough from me. I hope you enjoy the thoughts and feel free to comment.

Thanks for the write up. Yep it’s a great car. I have had mine since new for 5 years. Hope I can keep it for another 5. Agree pretty much with all that you say

Your review sums it all. Have had mine for over 3 years now. Been a pleasure driving it daily.

Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Join the C63 AMG UK facebook group. We are planning a Hampshire meet this weekend i think.

PCS in Horndean is the place to go. You probably see me there often as its like my local joint.. haha!

Your review sums it all. Have had mine for over 3 years now. Been a pleasure driving it daily.

Where abouts in Hampshire are you?

Join the C63 AMG UK facebook group. We are planning a Hampshire meet this weekend i think.

PCS in Horndean is the place to go. You probably see me there often as its like my local joint.. haha!
Hiya
I am in Cowplain so literally 3 miles from PCS. I am on the C63 AMG UK facebook group but had not seen a Hants meet, if its this weekend I am afraid I wont be able to attend as I am visiting family up in Lincolnshire :-( that seems to happen a lot when there are meets. I will keep an eye out for the next one.

Nice little real-world review, thanks :cool:

I'm into the V10s as well (S6, RS6, S8 etc.). I just know if I go to test drive a C63 I won't be able to get it out my mind so for now, the V10 (with tinkered exhausts) and security of quattro keeps me happy. Jealous though! :wallbash:

Nice little real-world review, thanks :cool:

I'm into the V10s as well (S6, RS6, S8 etc.). I just know if I go to test drive a C63 I won't be able to get it out my mind so for now, the V10 (with tinkered exhausts) and security of quattro keeps me happy. Jealous though! :wallbash:
Totally got you, Quattro has always been the thing that took me back to Audi. I was struggling to find a v10 with similar mileage as the C63 for anything close to the price and that is ultimately why I went for c63. I am actually really glad I did but also am totally drawn to the Audi V10. Maybe I will treat myself to a second big engine car lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

A slight update, yesterday I worked out how to do race start (on a private road) and that sport mode on the electronics means I can go into the wet farmyard and not spin the car :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom