Noobie here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CE230

Car
230CE
It's been 30 years since I've had a car (PTW Rider) and have just bought a 1989 CE 230 coupé with 90k on the clock - barely run in:D

The front wings are rusty but not surprising for a car of this age and looking under the bonnet it would appear that they simply bolt on, is this correct?

Are there any other problems I should look for in this model please?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but there were too many results to scroll through when searching.

It's been 30 years since I've had a car (PTW Rider) and have just bought a 1989 CE 230 coupé with 90k on the clock - barely run in:D

The front wings are rusty but not surprising for a car of this age and looking under the bonnet it would appear that they simply bolt on, is this correct?

Are there any other problems I should look for in this model please?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but there were too many results to scroll through when searching.

Wings are bolt on.

Simple and easy job, along with most things on your new car.

Welcome to the forum!

Check the cylinder head gasket on the engine is OK. Its a known weak spot on the single cam engine. Front springs tend to corrode badly and break and rear discs are prone to surface corrosion also due to lack of use. On a car of that age you should check for body corrosion at the sill rear jacking points and rear subframe mounting points. Your car will have the older solvent based paint system which is a lot better than the later water based paint cars at resisting rust so that's a bonus.

Sorry I didnt do photos at teh time but here is how I did my wing on a W124.
  1. undo the bolts you can see inside wing, in engine bay.
  2. remove lower trim in front of door to reveal 2 more bolts.
  3. 3 bolts hiding between front door and wing, can be removed (door fully open) with 1\4" or 3\8" socket (1\2" too big) without damaging door or new wing.
  4. remove bolt holding rear of bumper to bracket (behind front of wing) and bend out of the way, carefully, just enough to reveal another bolt. i had to drill this one out due to rust holding it in and rounding the head.
  5. remove indicator (release clip and push out).
  6. remove headlight (2 screws one side, 1 on other) to reveal all remaining bolts holding the wing. 8mm socket needed
  7. Wing should now pull away, but remember the side repeater is connected. twist and release the wires and you're clear.
Hope this helps.

Picture as requested
DSCF0919.jpg

Zender body kit, Skorpion alarm and CarismA alloys.

There is a lot of service history and so far I've not found any fault with it apart from having to replace the battery.

Questions:
1. What is the best way of getting rid of the verdi gris on the window surround?
2. Where is the best place to source the wings from?

Thanks in advance.

Bleach kills the green mould round the windows. Or use shower mould cleaner (which is a mild solution of bleach). But wash it off after a few minutes with water. Follow the instructions on the container.

Nice car; just needs the bodywork restoring.

Are you saying the window chrome has gone green? Or is it just mold?

wings are either £40 + Vat for a pattern part or I seem to remember £170+ vat for original ones. Many swear by original MB ones due to weight of the metal and the fact that they fit without any effort by the body shop which may be necessary with a pattern part.

Guess the question will be decided by how long you plan to keep it?

Nice car; just needs the bodywork restoring.

Are you saying the window chrome has gone green? Or is it just mold?

wings are either £40 + Vat for a pattern part or I seem to remember £170+ vat for original ones. Many swear by original MB ones due to weight of the metal and the fact that they fit without any effort by the body shop which may be necessary with a pattern part.

Guess the question will be decided by how long you plan to keep it?

I intend to restore it to somewhere near original condition and then decide whether to keep it but odds on I will have it for a while yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom