Noobie Intro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Just a quick post to introduce myself...

Been lurking around this and other MB forums since I decided to buy into the brand and thought it was about time I put my head above the parapet so to speak.

I've been driving Company Cars for the last 8 years (current one is a Golf GTI TDI PD 150) but decided to take the cash option this time so that I could have what I want rather than what someone else tells me I can have. I've always fancied a Merc and came close to buying one about 10 years ago, but that foray was brought to an abrupt halt when my then (and now firmly ex-) wife decided she would prefer half my posessions for her sole enjoyment rather than share them with me
icon_eek.gif
I've got my chance now though, and I'm taking it
icon_cool.gif

I did consider other marques but settled on the Benz because I'm bored with VW's, Audi dealers charge a fortune for being supremely indifferent to any problem you may have (yes, I know some MB dealers are masters of that art too), Lexus are boring-snoring, and I don't want a BMW because I like people letting me out of side turnings and not giving me rude gestures on the motorway just because of the car I drive.

So in September I ordered a C220 Cdi Elegance Auto. Couldn't see the point of going for the Sport as my wife has an R56 Mini Cooper S which, frankly, will run rings around a C220 Cdi Sport if I want to go lane bashing so elected for the more traditional comfort and serenity approach. I've specified Factory Collection and the latest info I have is that I'll be going to Sindelfingen in mid-January

Interests include motorcycle touring on a Honda ST1300 Pan-European (went to Romania this summer - that was an interesting trip), live music (audience not participant), and drinking more wine than's good for me
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for listening!

Phil

Hello and welcome mate. Why not tell us more about your ordered C220 CDI, any extra options you have opted for ?

Welcome!

A few bikers on here too (not me though - prefer to stay dry!) :D

Firstly, many thanks to all of you for the welcome :rock:

Why not tell us more about your ordered C220 CDI, any extra options you have opted for ?
OK, the spec is:
  • Elegance (OK, I said that already)
  • Auto (...and that)
  • Tenorite Grey Metallic
  • Reef Grey Artico
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Split-fold Rear Seats
  • Parameter Steering
I did consider the COMAND briefly, but at close on £2k it's expensive and I have an alternative navigation solution that I prefer anyway. The HK sound system upgrade is only available with the APS50 or COMAND head units so that was a non-starter too, and I dipped out on leather because it's great on the day you buy the car and the day you sell it but either too hot or too cold the rest of the time (yes, I've had cars with leather before!). The Intelligent Lighting System looked interesting, but was it worth the money? I don't know. I stuck with the standard 16-inch wheels rather than go for 17's coz a) it rides better on 16's and b) I pay for my own tyres :crazy:

So, not too high on the "goody count" scale, but the base spec for the Elegance is pretty good as it stands. Not like when I looked at a new Benz 10 or so years ago and things like windows were optional extras :D

Take plenty of photos of the pick up please
I intend to, but as I understand it they don't allow cameras in the Sindelfingen plant?

My plan at the moment (my wife's going with me) is:
  • Day 1 - Fly to Stuttgart, visit the MB Museum then take in a bit of the city before an overnight in Stuttgart itself
  • Day 2 - Taxi to Sindelfingen, complete handover of new car, take factory tour then spend the rest of the day tootling around the locale in the new motor :rock: stopping to take photo's as appropriate. There are some nice roads to the southwest (been there on a bike) but the weather could be against us at that time of year. Return for second night in Stuttgart
  • Day 3 - Head off to Reims (approx 300 miles / 5hrs drive). Been through it and past it many times but never really stopped to look properly. May have time to stop off in Epernay en-route and may even manage one of the cave tours
  • Day 4 - Leisurely start, drive up to Le Scuttle terminal and then back to Blighty
Should have worked out how everything works by then :)

welcome to the forum and gutten reisen to sindelfingen!!

Hi and welcome - you will love the pick up - we still talk about ours. Rheims is great - enjoy the cathedral - but not too far from there is a very moving garden as a rememberance to the local partisans executed by the Germans....

Look forward to seeing your pics...

PS - I disagree about the leather - I think it's very nice.:)

Hi and welcome - you will love the pick up - we still talk about ours.
I'm really looking forward to it and I'm sure it'll be memorable too.
Rheims is great - enjoy the cathedral
Although I've generally just driven past Reims I did visit the Cathedral about 15 years ago. I noted that they had an exhibition in the Crypt so went to see what it was about. Imagine my surprice to see that it was about Canterbury Cathedral, especially since I'm originally from Kent :eek:
but not too far from there is a very moving garden as a rememberance to the local partisans executed by the Germans....
I'll see if I can find it while I'm there. Us Brit's, whose country hasn't been invaded for centuries, aren't generally as aware of the consequences of occupation as for example the French. There are many such memorials pretty much all over France and most towns still turn out in en-mass to mark the passing of their kinsfolk during both WWI and WWII.
PS - I disagree about the leather - I think it's very nice.:)
Don't worry, if you like it that's fine by me. My car lives outside all year though and for 3-4 months of most years its darn cold at the time I go to work so I find leather quite unpleasant - in a car anyway :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom