Nordic Walking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
I've just discovered Nordic Walking and I love it! I'm sure you know what it is, but if not, it's sort of like cross-country skiing without snow.

Does anyone else on the forum do it?

So it was you that the BBC filmed! :D

p03ccd76.jpg

Haha! Wouldn't mind a holiday wherever that is!

I've just discovered Nordic Walking and I love it! I'm sure you know what it is, but if not, it's sort of like cross-country skiing without snow.

Does anyone else on the forum do it?
If that's normal walking in the countryside, but with a pair of ski sticks, then yes I did use them in the Appalachians (where the paths are very rocky and uneven) and a few walks in the UK but not for years.

My wife has a set of poles, but we rarely use them; only when there's a climb of decent that's hard on her knees. - Most of the time they're just strapped to a bag.

It's not quite normal walking gr1nch, feels a lot freer than that with the poles at 30% behind you and arms swinging at the shoulder opposite the forward leg if you know what I mean.

Pobody are they Nordic poles or trek poles?

A quick google search suggests that I've got "walking poles" which are quite similar to collapsible Nordic poles... but probably not the same thing.

I'm more of a rambler.

My wife is from Germany, where Nordic Walking has been popular for some years. She does have a set of poles ... I think she's used them twice :D

To be fair she normally has her hands full with at least six dogs, which would make it a bit tricky :)

Thanks for the clarification PobodY.

And BTB, if they happen to be Exel poles, 115cm, and your wife doesn't use them perhaps she may like to sell them? I've asked my instructor to order some for me, but perhaps spares wouldn't be a bad thing?

I'm chomping at the bit to do another walk with poles (I walk my dog twice a day but that walk wouldn't be suitable for poles)!

On our recent visits to Lytham/St Anne's we see the 'Lytham Ladies' Nordic Walking on the windmill (promenade) grass area.
They look very fit and really go for it.

Sounds good to me Jane, I've already bookmarked the boating lake as a potential location! I get lost easily so a lake helps, lol!

Wow, an actual visitor from Finland (Suomi)!

Mr. mersum1es, do you do Nordic walking, which I know was developed in Finland to help keep Nordic skiers fit in summer?

I don't know how this has so long remained a mystery, it's really fun, and really sociable.

My plan is to order Exel Trainer poles because they are bright green and we all know I'm rather partial to bright green!

I tried it once, I was feeling bit stupid with poles only (without skis), and perhaps reason that I dislike cross-country skiing, I decided it is not my hobby.

Yes it was developed here, lot of laughing and shouts like 'hey, you forgot something!' etc when first exercisers were seen on streets. It was soon very popular with elder people, why not it certainly gives some extra stability when you can use poles on icy roads. Unfortunately this was not making this hobby more popular among younger people, though nowadays when novelty of this sport has gone, you can see very different age people nordic-walking (despite teenagers).

I agree, good for older people, like me! And great for people with joint problems and those recuperating from surgery.

Have ordered my poles and arranged with the instructor to lend me some until mine arrive. Roll on Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom