Normal Operating Temperature?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MCR86

Car
E220CDI
Hi all,

I have a 2000/X E220CDI (W210) - the temperature gauge measures between 40 and 120 degrees (if I remember rightly!) - I was just wondering what 'normal' operating temperature should be, as the car seems to run cool?

If I'm driving along at motorway speeds on a cold day with the heating on, the car's temperature gauge reads about 45 degrees - little over the minimum temperature on the gauge. If I'm driving around town around 30/40mph on a warm day with the heating on half way or off completely, it'll read between 60 and 70 degrees. However, if I get stuck in traffic for a prolonged period of time, the temperature will raise to up to 90 degrees (just over half way on the gauge), regardless of the heater settings. (Also, the heating's temperature is consistent, but full heat doesn't feel all that hot to me?)

Are these wide range of operating temperatures normal, as with every other car I've had, the operating temperature has reached half way on the gauge and stayed there regardless? Could the car need a new thermostat?

Any ideas and advice welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

Definitely sounds like you need a new thermostat, they seem to be a common problem on these (just replaced my second one in about 3 years)

Comes complete in the housing so not hard to replace yourself

Thanks guys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom