Norman Foster "fuelling station"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kcsun

Car
SL63 AMG, GLE 350de, RS4
Clare and I have just spent some time in Bilbao and visited the Guggenheim to see the Motion Automobile exhibition by Norman Foster. It was an excellent 3 hours learning about the history of motoring right from Gottlieb Daimler’s first powered vehicle to what we might expect in the future.

I thought his vision of the electric car era was excellent as long as everybody goes with “the plan”

The Plan

His idea is that all manufacturers use one of three identical batteries with identical mounting and connectors to the car
  • For mainly commuting to work, shopping and the odd longer journey
  • For mainly longer journeys on a regular basis
  • Sporty high power version
You, as the customer would visit the manufacturer and dealership of your choice and order the car that suited you the best with whatever options you decide to choose. Then pay (or lease, rent or buy outright) for the car and await delivery. The battery is NOT yours and you rent/lease it on a monthly basis.

When the car arrives it will have a home plug in charger for use if you require it – but here’s the best bit. When your car is down to its last few percent of charge you call in to a local “fuel station” and drive up the ramp to park, enter a credit card/account card on the machine, the computer will know the card will only apply to a single car for security reasons, then an automated machine goes up under your car, unclips your battery and puts it on an underground carousel at the back for charging. The machine then selects a battery from the front of the carousel and clips it into your car, the traffic light goes green and you drive off with a fully charged battery which will take less than 5 minutes start to finish, Less time than filling with petrol now. Your credit card/account will be then debited a payment for the amount of charge you received to bring the car to a 100% charged state. The battery will tell the carousel when it is reaching “end of life” and will be automatically disposed of for re-cycling or bringing back to life

This is why you only buy the car and not the battery, it also resolves the issue of charging for people living in flats or where a local power source is unavailable to them

His other vision is to have most people in little electric personal cars or pods(smart car style) who would drive about for all their local shopping, dropping kids at school, getting to work etc. When you want a long journey, you drive to a railway or lorry hub station, drive onto the trailer sideways, the trailer then turns 90 degrees so you face forwards and that then takes you on your journey, you are automatically dropped off at the nearest railway/lorry hub, totally refreshed and then drive on to the last 4-5 miles to your destination.

You would be travelling at up to 150mph so long distance journey times should be much reduced without traffic jams etc.

I thought both ideas were excellent and shows sensibility for the electric car era

What about you – good idea or bad idea???????

kc

I suggested this 3 years ago, didn't go down well...

Hi ToeKnee, sorry I did not do a search for this. I was really impressed with the presentation they gave and thought it was a new idea that needed passing on
Kc

I have always thought that this approach makes a lot of sense, as it deals with the three big concerns that people have with buying electric cars:
1. Purchase cost of battery
2. Lifetime of battery
3. Time to 'refuel' (on long journeys) or lack of infrastructure to charge at home (urban/local usage model)

I saw a fifth gear recharged on this subject and it is being trialed in Norway. Here’s an article from European magazine.

It does seem to make complete sense, so doubt it will ever take off 😀

It’s all superseded by autonomous cars. You just summon one like an Uber, but the big computer can position them at strategic positions so there is always one close by. They can go and recharge at an out of town station.
As a vision it works well for urban environments. No need to even own a car (but you could if you want). Given that petrol will still be around for many years, long distance can be done by petrol ones.
No need for battery swapping, but this system doesn’t preclude it.
I think there is going to be a range of solutions coming. One size does not fit all!

Taxis will be one of the first industries to use driverless vehicles, use an app, the cab pulls up, swipe your card and off you go! Only downside is how the previous occupants left the vehicle, especially on a weekend evening...... 😱

From an Engineers perspective, battery swapping looks to me to be a mixed blessing.

On the positive (no pun intended) side, it is a way of addressing the range anxiety / time to recharge question. However...

Battery technology is still advancing, so any standard adopted now could well turn out to be something of a straightjacket in pretty short order. In addition, it places constraints on the chassis & drivetrain layout that would constrain future development. There are a number of other demerits I can think of, but that gives a flavour.

However, the biggest "elephant in the room" is that we already know that there are not enough of certain minerals in the world to support the manufacture of the likely number of batteries needed to support transport needs (absent a fundamental change in battery technology), so where are the raw materials coming from to manufacture the additional batteries required so they could be recharged while the ones in the vehicles are being used?

Taxis will be one of the first industries to use driverless vehicles, use an app, the cab pulls up, swipe your card and off you go! Only downside is how the previous occupants left the vehicle, especially on a weekend evening...... 😱
Like the Johnny Cabs in the original Total Recall!
1656510584398.png
1656510601964.png

1656510638666.png

So all you need is 120K for two new cars, Norman foster has the money. A good idea but not in my life time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom