North American Cities to visit...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been to most of the places listed. I also love somewhere with a proper music scene and plenty of bars.

Two cities that that have really jumped out at me have been Chicago & Philadelphia, both to my pleasant surprise as I wasn't actually expecting much when I was sent there for work.

I spent a happy week at a conference in Chicago and was blown away but the endless music on offer. I went to a different music venue every night, often more than one and was amazed at what was on offer. This after having lived near Manhattan for 6 months and having spent significant amount of time in San Francisco & New Orleans.

The surprise for me last year was a week in Philadelphia. Another conference. What a place. A lot of creatives are priced out of NYC these day and are zoning in on Philly. Food/bars/restaurants/music. All underpinned by the inimitable Philly Soul. Superb. I'd pay my own money to go back there, definitely.

I've been to most of the places listed. I also love somewhere with a proper music scene and plenty of bars.

Two cities that that have really jumped out at me have been Chicago & Philadelphia, both to my pleasant surprise as I wasn't actually expecting much when I was sent there for work.

I spent a happy week at a conference in Chicago and was blown away but the endless music on offer. I went to a different music venue every night, often more than one and was amazed at what was on offer. This after having lived near Manhattan for 6 months and having spent significant amount of time in San Francisco & New Orleans.

The surprise for me last year was a week in Philadelphia. Another conference. What a place. A lot of creatives are priced out of NYC these day and are zoning in on Philly. Food/bars/restaurants/music. All underpinned by the inimitable Philly Soul. Superb. I'd pay my own money to go back there, definitely.

ETA I've been to Tornonto and thought it was OK but had no desire to go back. I also once got sent to Seattle (so many work trips....) As usual I went looking for clubs, bars and music and found that everyone wanted to get out of the weekend and go kayaking/hiking/mountain biking, etc. Didn't have the vibe I personally look for in a city. At all.

Whoops I almost forgot that New Orleans has an amazing WW2 museum .....
in the centre of town.

real B17 Flying Fortress hanging from the roof (like your old air fix kits) with viewing platforms to get great views.
Mustangs
Spitfire
Corsair.
landing craft etc etc

Attachments

• 8FED3C9F-9F37-4DC9-B448-186E12F8F645.jpeg
    8FED3C9F-9F37-4DC9-B448-186E12F8F645.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 7B5001DE-3DA8-4B24-9032-1B4A01F5CB4F.jpeg
    7B5001DE-3DA8-4B24-9032-1B4A01F5CB4F.jpeg
    588.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 922A0F51-C3A7-4347-A649-58329E40D4A4.jpeg
    922A0F51-C3A7-4347-A649-58329E40D4A4.jpeg
    597.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 6B2A2969-28D2-4CD5-A6CA-70E0C5F60999.jpeg
    6B2A2969-28D2-4CD5-A6CA-70E0C5F60999.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 1
Iv just booked to fly to Toronto with Lufthansa. Part of the reason for my choice is flying on the 747-400....yes I know it can change but being the plane nut that I am and not having the chance to fly on BA's 747s before they retired them, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. Iv heard Toronto is pretty cool so will see whats what.....

This is a car site - I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Detroit!

This is a car site - I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Detroit!

This is one of my favourite tunes & videos. Doesn't make me want to visit Detroit, though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've been to Detroit quite a few times. If we wanted to relax in the evening, we'd cross the border into Windsor.

Iv just booked to fly to Toronto with Lufthansa. Part of the reason for my choice is flying on the 747-400....yes I know it can change but being the plane nut that I am and not having the chance to fly on BA's 747s before they retired them, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. Iv heard Toronto is pretty cool so will see whats what.....
I’ve not been to Toronto but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. If you can get a seat in the 747 bubble it’s worth it. My daughter took the controls of a 747 when we flew to Florida a year ago.
6E2F3431-6A07-4F03-BACD-7643DB86C591.jpeg

Did someone say Jumbo.....:cool: my favourite ever....
from fixing them as a Ground Engineer, to spending years on them flying the world as a crew member, it was so special, in so many ways. 💔

Attachments

• A6350783-15A7-4B38-9028-2E49476552B5.jpeg
    A6350783-15A7-4B38-9028-2E49476552B5.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 11
  • CE92CF16-12D6-4C35-B75F-CB1390D99FD8.jpeg
    CE92CF16-12D6-4C35-B75F-CB1390D99FD8.jpeg
    694.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 249C6F9C-AAE2-4A7B-A85D-CAA5CC22DB86.jpeg
    249C6F9C-AAE2-4A7B-A85D-CAA5CC22DB86.jpeg
    813.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 8DCBB8CD-7BFD-46C3-A723-204A0EEC3430.jpeg
    8DCBB8CD-7BFD-46C3-A723-204A0EEC3430.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A44121A-A51D-49AD-8A0A-E1E3215DE020.jpeg
    9A44121A-A51D-49AD-8A0A-E1E3215DE020.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 32ECB286-F28E-4C83-BA45-B729CC003466.jpeg
    32ECB286-F28E-4C83-BA45-B729CC003466.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 06DAA3F0-0302-46F8-BF9A-446CE8FFC6C4.jpeg
    06DAA3F0-0302-46F8-BF9A-446CE8FFC6C4.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 0BF8E22B-8385-4514-A0B4-646AF102F4C3.jpeg
    0BF8E22B-8385-4514-A0B4-646AF102F4C3.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
Guys
If you want to visit the United States there are hoards of destinations to suit every taste.
If you like UK style living comfort zones then New England & Up State NY takes some beating in the summer time for Brits .
BUT if you want the "REAL" Western Experience, fly to Denver hang around in my adopted home for almost 27 years now, then rent a car and go up into the Northern tier of Wyoming. Montana & Idaho .
Wide open spaces, few people and you will meet Americans just like you, not the synthetic types you meet in LA !

This place is one of my favourite totally kid friendly stopping off places to break up a1750 mile drive from Denver to Bonners Ferry & Sandpoint where my lovely wife comes from in Idaho.

Enjoy
Tuerca viejas

Whoops I almost forgot that New Orleans has an amazing WW2 museum .....
in the centre of town.

real B17 Flying Fortress hanging from the roof (like your old air fix kits) with viewing platforms to get great views.
Mustangs
Spitfire
Corsair.
landing craft etc etc
Dang, I lived there for 6 months (many years ago) and never got to see that (but did go to "The House of Blues" a couple of times 😃 ). Is it new? I did get to the Stennis Space Center (Mississippi) and the USS Alabama (Mobile). More recently we toured the USS Midway in San Diego. If you are into aircraft and things military, it is a must see. The sheer size of an aircraft carrier is jaw dropping.

We’ve done Seattle and Vancouver on combined short trips a few times - appreciate you said you won’t be hiring a car, but if you did, it’s a dead easy drive, 130 miles or so, between the two cities, so you could split your time and do the highlights of both.

You have to go to LA as it is a madhouse.

Salt Lake City also as it's rather odd, but with beautiful surroundings.

Toronto:

CN Tower - there is part of the walkway on the observation deck with a glass floor.

Castle Loma - in town, eccentric rich guy builds a medieval castle as a home, now a tourist attraction.

Centre Island - 10 min ferry ride from downtown, small chain of islands connected by walkway bridges - great escape from the city you can hire bikes and cycle around.
torontoisland.com

music

The Horseshoe Tavern - Queen St.
Lees Palace - Bloor St.
Danforth Music Hall - Danforth
The Opera House
Reservoir Lounge- wellington st.
Drake Hotel- Queen St, first floor bar
The Mod Club.
Cherry Cola Rock n Rolla - 200 Bathurst St.
The Cameron House.

Travel around the city is easy on metro or the trams.

The stadium is next to the CN tower, try to see if the Blue Jays have a game (baseball) it’s a good show! Nice friendly crowd, family friendly, and you can have a beer watching the game.

motorsport
Mossport circuit.
there is a street Indy Car Grand Prix - usually June/July so sadly you’ll miss it 😕 it’s along Lakeshore Drive- good fun.

It’s a nice city, Young St (main drag) continues for 3000miles across canada

There are beaches on the lakeshore.
(Brother lived in TO for many years but has now moved a couple of hours out of town).

I went to Toronto years ago for the specific purpose of Flying on KLM's shiny new 777.
Was doing lots of miles with work and had a ton of miles so went Business.
DSC00100.JPG

Really liked it in Toronto, seemed to be Ice Hockey on live all the time in the bars.
Went for a trip to Niagra and I'm sure we ended up in NYC and flew back home from there.

Cracking view of the falls from the hotel.
DSC00069.JPG

I'm not a big fan of NYC or LA to be honest.
I much prefer some of the other cities mentioned, Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, San Fran etc.

You have to go to LA as it is a madhouse.

Salt Lake City also as it's rather odd, but with beautiful surroundings.
Yes LA IS a mad house, and its because of the size of the USA, and the curvature of the earth all the "fruits'n nuts" roll there! :D
Tuercas viejas

Well, we've answered the exam question and the OP's has made his booking.

The one thing I'd add is that it's all like answering the question "What's the best city in Europe for a week's visit ?"

Each is great, but they're not the same people, even though they're all Europeans.

Toronto, Montreal, NY, Boston, Chicago, Washington, San Francisco, LA, Austin, Dallas, Miami....

All mad as cheese, and very different.

I'm not a big fan of NYC or LA to be honest.
I much prefer some of the other cities mentioned, Memphis, New Orleans, Nashville, San Fran etc.
Nor me, I just don't get what people find so special about NYC and LA. I even found Vancouver to be pleasant enough, but nothing special. With so much breathtaking scenery to grab my attention in America I'm more than happy to give the cities a miss. Although I would like to visit New Orleans a visit someday, if only as part of a wider experience. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom