North Coast 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As anyone done this? Northcoast500.com It's a bit of a dream of mine, but I doubt I'll do it as I strongly suspect my husband would now not be able to get in/out of my little car due to arthritis. I look at this website so often. So, anyone done it? Anyone done it in a very old car? Best bits? Pictures? Thank you.
That looks amazing! I promised my dear wife a Scotland driving holiday and this fits the bill perfectly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

All the camps are dog friendly and the trip is already mapped and saved with the addition of visit to Edinburgh. Looking forward to it this Summer.

image-633653879.jpg

Just a word of caution though, once you get into the highlands..

A lot of the coastal route is single lane with passing places every 100/200 metres or so. Be mindful of speed especially around blind bends/corners/hills - take it easy and enjoy the scenery, its not a rally track.

Locals:

The locals who drive these roads on a daily basis know them inside out, as a result they will be belting it down so better to let them pass rather than hold them up.

Motorhomes/Caravans:

I have to say that majority of the motorhomes/caravan drivers I came across were courteous enough to slow down and let me pass when they see a car coming from behind - so that was pleasant to see. You will get the odd one or two who will hog the road, its better to just sit behind them patiently until a good passing opportunity arises.

Sheep:

Watch out for sheep who are not scared of passing cars! You will find them sitting on the edge of the road or in the middle of the road. I had a very close call when I was going up a steep hill (cant see whats up there until your actually over it), only to be met by 3 sheep sitting in the middle of the road right there. Quick reflexes had me slam on the breaks hard and dodge them without steering the car into the deep ditches on either side of the lane - that would have been the end of my trip otherwise.

Cattle Grids:

There are a lot of them and I hate these things with a passion! A true test to see how well your cars structural rigidity is.

Midges:

I didn't experience any midges or have any issues - but I met a couple at a campsite and their daughter had been severely bitten by midges on her arms, lets and neck - didn't look pretty. So take precautions/sprays/lotions just in case.

Places of interest:

There are some really nice beautiful places to stop at and see, like waterfalls, hidden castles/ruins, gardens, beaches and so on. These are not marked on the road and no road signs (apart from one waterall but its so last minute you can drive right past it without knowing). Do some research before hand and mark them on a map where they are.

Other than that, enjoy and have a great time!

Niks, you are brilliant, thanks for that, gives me more to drool about. Because my husband is very unwell, many of my 'holidays' are in the mind and I love poring over campsite websites and so on, looking at pictures and reading others' holiday tales. My other 'mental holidays' are to the Outer Hebrides and Iceland, I even have maps to look at, real maps, not Google Maps. I am going on a little real holiday soon, on my own, to my home town. Already feeling a bit odd that I'll be on my own, but getting on, so I need to do it now before I can't get insurance at a sensible cost to go to the US. Any further information you would like to share about the NC500 will be gratefully received...

I really want to drive all the way around Iceland. - I've only ever driven there around Christmas/New Year, and it's not all open at that time of year.
I'm told the Westfjordland is truly spectacular.

If you want a simple driving holiday that would be quite close to home for you and still enjoyable and scenic, I suggest the Isle of Man. - Take the ferry from Heysham (rather than Liverpool). Drive the TT course once (or a couple of times if need be); drive down to Sound (hopefully the restaurant is open); drive to the Point of Ayer. It can all be done in day trips from a hotel in Douglas (or elsewhere).

I suspect all those pics have been photoshopped..............There's no rain:p

We did the North Coast 500 last May. Apart from some drizzle/low cloud going over the mountains to Applecross the weather was great. Had the roof down every day.
We did hotels but because there was a possibility that we would have to cancel up to the last minute we could only select hotels which accepted late cancellations (Booking.com was useful). But that meant we couldn't split the route into 5 equal stages meaning 70 miles one day and 130 the next, etc.

Stopped in the Lake District overnight on the way up, Farmers Arms at Lowick Green
Then to Ben Wyvis Hotel at Strathpeffer
Then to Loch Maree Hotel at Talladale
Then Caledonian Hotel at Ullapool (a bit average)
Then to Ben Loyal Hotel at Tongue
Then the Nethercliffe Hotel at Wick.
After that we stayed with relatives just north of Edinburgh for a couple of days before travelling home.
A total round trip of 1808 miles

Would thoroughly recommend it.

edit - no midges in May!

Currently looking for a similar trip in Devon/Cornwall

Last edited:
Love the photos especially the Northern Lights ones.

I'm doing this in a few weeks with a bunch of friends. May need a fuel tanker behind me in the E55

Love the photos especially the Northern Lights ones.

I'm doing this in a few weeks with a bunch of friends. May need a fuel tanker behind me in the E55

Fill it up when the opportunity arises. Don't simply assume the next garage will be open. Or the next!

North Coast 500 on BBC Alba tonight ... and on demand

p0529626.jpg

This programme / series is available on BBC Alba tonight and on demand.

It's in Gaelic (as spoken by 60,000), but has sub-titles for the the other 7 billion on the planet

Here's the link:

BBC ALBA - North Coast 500 - Le Anne Lundon, Series 1, Episode 1

PobodY said:
I really want to drive all the way around Iceland. - I've only ever driven there around Christmas/New Year, and it's not all open at that time of year. I'm told the Westfjordland is truly spectacular. If you want a simple driving holiday that would be quite close to home for you and still enjoyable and scenic, I suggest the Isle of Man. - Take the ferry from Heysham (rather than Liverpool). Drive the TT course once (or a couple of times if need be); drive down to Sound (hopefully the restaurant is open); drive to the Point of Ayer. It can all be done in day trips from a hotel in Douglas (or elsewhere).
I worked on the Isle of Man in 2004' PobodY. Because I'm a lady, I was the one to bring my car over because I got sick of sitting on someone's lap in the one car we were assigned and mine was the only 'second' car in the group, it was a RAV4. Occasionally, I would stay over for the weekend and go off road, it was fun! Thanks to MikeinWimbledon for the link to the telly bit about the NC500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom