Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My definition of "Class" broadly.

If you work hours someone else sets you are "working class"
If you check up on other people's working hours set by someone else you are "middle class"
If you set the working hours of others you are "higher class"

Stands by for incoming:eek:
I look down on him because he is ............................... :D

Must admit I'm also intrigued as to how you've arrived at the valuations, Flanaia1, as I was last time this topic came up.

Judging by houses currently advertised for sale online in your village, prices range from £550,000 (for a 1900sq ft detached house) to £110,000 (for a semi-detached house, size not specified).

Looking at registered sales over the past 10 years, the highest price achieved was again £550,000 (for a detached house in 2006), the lowest £16,000 (for a semi-detached house in 2003).

Admittedly houses at the higer end of the price scale tend to be private sales, but there doesn't seem to be any trace of £1m properties, let alone £5m ones. Where are you getting your prices from?
Obviously a misquote. He meant you could buy a town up north for 5 million, not just a townhouse !:)

All I need to know about northerners is here..... ;)

[YOUTUBE]Xe1a1wHxTyo[/YOUTUBE]

*sorry if it's already been posted in this thread. Funny as this thread is there's no way I'm reading all of it.

The North - it has the Balti (ask ringway). It therefore wins. Damn fine curry house. The end.

Aye Lad. I feel sorry for those in the beautiful South, in that they'll probably never sample the delights of The Balti at Alderley Edge.

I suppose I am the North-South divide. Grew up in the South and moved up to the North aged around 8-9yrs.

I'm torn between the two places. The North has some fantastic places and the countryside is superb. The South (I find London to be such a magnetic place) is equally attractive.

Both places harbour equally nice people and I enjoy watching the world pass along in either location, although my favourite observation post is the tube where I'll look around me and pigeon-hole individuals. Fascinating. :)

More letters in the Southern accent though. A while back I asked a London cabbie the way to The Strand. "You wanna get to Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?" :D

Aye Lad. I feel sorry for those in the beautiful South, in that they'll probably never sample the delights of The Balti at Alderley Edge.

I suppose I am the North-South divide. Grew up in the South and moved up to the North aged around 8-9yrs.

I'm torn between the two places. The North has some fantastic places and the countryside is superb. The South (I find London to be such a magnetic place) is equally attractive.

Both places harbour equally nice people and I enjoy watching the world pass along in either location, although my favourite observation post is the tube where I'll look around me and pigeon-hole individuals. Fascinating. :)

More letters in the Southern accent though. A while back I asked a London cabbie the way to The Strand. "You wanna get to Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?" :D

I was offered a job in London. Declined it.

Have to agree to disagree on the London one, nice for site seeing but I'd not be happy living there. Don't regret taking the job at all. Prefer your neck of the woods, the South West and Scotland to the SE.

You can pigeon hole all sorts of folk anywhere, try it in Glasgow or when you pass a car and look in to seeing who is driving. Just never felt London or big cities were for me.

Yes you are right about the scenery difference,in the north we get used to it The Lake District, The Pennines, The Yorkshire Dales,The Peak District,The Cheshire Plain,the list is endless,in the south of course there is none at all.
I lived in hampshire for a number of years,and when I first went down there I kept hearing about "the downs this and "the downs that",Anyway one Saturday I went along to find what all the fuss was about. I eventually found it,guess what,it was a hill,a slope nothing else,Laugh I couldnt stop for a week.But in fairness to southerners,ifs thats all you are used to,then its understandable,it gives them something to talk about.
For northerners who havent seen "The Downs" if you go to your local park,and see a "hill",thats about it.

Got any examples, that fairly heavy money for a house outside London.

I'l tell you who lives in them, The Guy that owns DFS Furniture (complete with own Helipad), Darren Gough,(All glass architecture) Paula Cook (Racing driver daughter of DC Cook Car dealers). David jones (Ex Finance Director for Morrinsons and he also started Next with George Davis of Asda fame)

If you get the Weekend Yorkshire Post you will see just what stunning properties there are in Yorkshire and all usually with a view of the Dales or Moors there must be 10 pages of houses > £1.5m every weekend.

Meanwhile I'll just keep buying my lottery ticket :D

I'l tell you who lives in them, The Guy that owns DFS Furniture (complete with own Helipad), Darren Gough,(All glass architecture) Paula Cook (Racing driver daughter of DC Cook Car dealers). David jones (Ex Finance Director for Morrinsons and he also started Next with George Davis of Asda fame)

If you get the Weekend Yorkshire Post you will see just what stunning properties there are in Yorkshire and all usually with a view of the Dales or Moors there must be 10 pages of houses > £1.5m every weekend.

Meanwhile I'll just keep buying my lottery ticket :D[/QUOTE

AND DONT START ON CHESHIRE !!

Must admit I'm also intrigued as to how you've arrived at the valuations, Flanaia1, as I was last time this topic came up.

Judging by houses currently advertised for sale online in your village, prices range from £550,000 (for a 1900sq ft detached house) to £110,000 (for a semi-detached house, size not specified).

Looking at registered sales over the past 10 years, the highest price achieved was again £550,000 (for a detached house in 2006), the lowest £16,000 (for a semi-detached house in 2003).

Admittedly houses at the higer end of the price scale tend to be private sales, but there doesn't seem to be any trace of £1m properties, let alone £5m ones. Where are you getting your prices from?

See post in reply to DM, Prices from Weekend Yorkshire Post, not many of the high value ones change hands also they have a different Post Code to Mine,

flanaia1 said:

Meanwhile I'll just keep buying my lottery ticket :D

Only know one of these.... Lord Kikham's estate is very untypical for Doncaster. There are very few houses of this calibre, in fact anything over one million is an exception.

Still north is best...

Only know one of these.... Lord Kikham's estate is very untypical for Doncaster. There are very few houses of this calibre, in fact anything over one million is an exception.

Still north is best...

I agree not typical at all for Doncaster but they do exist in and around Lord Kirkham's area, but if you start going towards Harrogate and the Dales then there are plenty >£1m, I was just trying to illustrate to our Southern Members not all the expensive property is in the South we have some really nice ones too :)

The average price of homes in an area is the deciding factor. All areas (bar none) have expensive houses. But its the average which determines whether an area is more or less expensive than another.

So it is fair to say that the North is cheaper than the South (on average).

I would argue that the North provides better value for money pound for pound in housing terms.

To a degree Northern pay can be lower (dependant on industry) so it's not as clear cut.

See post in reply to DM, Prices from Weekend Yorkshire Post, not many of the high value ones change hands also they have a different Post Code to Mine,

You said there were a "significant number of houses worth > £5m in our village", so I was looking at your whole village, not just your postcode. Restricting it to your postcode returns a top sale price of £160,000, in 2007.

You seem to have moved the goalposts a little. Do all these people really live in your village, as opposed to outside it (where larger properties and estates traditionally tend to be) or somewhere else in the Doncaster area altogether? I know Graham Kirkham, for one, has lived between Sprotbrough and Cadeby for many years (and apparently also owns Cantley Hall, which is on the other side of Doncaster).

Not doubting for one minute that there are expensive properties in the north - of course there are. It was the concentration of them in what is a fairly small village that seemed implausible.

Last edited:
The best northern trick isn't to have a concentration of expensive properties - it is to have a selection of pretty decent housing you can afford. Value is key.

We have an average income for our area and we live in a 250 m2 farmhouse. Friends in London with four times the income live in stuff with half the footprint. Even in Brixton. :)))

Okay when they retire and sell up they will be able to live somewhere proper flash up here. Still we will have had plenty of room for the 40 years before retirement.

This is 500k and includes a couple of barns for conversion.
5 bedroom detached house for sale in Tithe Farm Aldwark, Grange Mill, Matlock DE4, DE4
71323_527444326_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

Surely that is more interesting than this
4 Bed terraced house for sale, Rosebery Road, Brixton - Ref: 8747197
dp18747197.jpg

I just checked these a bit more carefully, the one with barns needs a 100k spending on it, sorry for the inaccuracy of comparison.

Last edited:
£500k in Brixton! That would be £250k in Leamington and the chance of being robbed, stabbed or shot is considerably less.

Yes but look at that lovely back garden !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom