Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blimey that's quick.

Non stop service 4 times a day 84 mins, the normal service only 95 - 110 mins depending on stops. East Coast Mainline really does fly, equivalent service from Sheffield quickest 127 minutes normal service 150 minutes, so much faster out of Doncaster

All those stop on route there are direct non stop trains which average 84 mins, see post #102

So why doesn't the National Rail joruney planner know about them? :confused:

EDIT: the 1hr 41m service stops at Grantham and Stevenage, for a minute each. Don't see how a non-stopping service could shave another 15 minutes off that time.

Last edited:
So why doesn't the National Rail joruney planner know about them? :confused:

Maybe they don't run any more I don't know that was when National Express had the Franchise now it's under East Coast Railways (Government) maybe they discontinued them but non stop was 84 mins. If they are not on the planner then they probably no longer exist. Just trying to highlight how quick it is to get to London but 101 mins is still respectable

Grand central services are non-stop... And better trains than east coast, more comfortable seats, more leg room and free wifi

Grand central services are non-stop... And better trains than east coast, more comfortable seats, more leg room and free wifi

OK, there are three of those a day, as flanaia1 said, but the fastest takes 1hr 38m and doesn't reach London until after lunchtime. The earliest doesn't get in until quarter past 10, and you'd still need to get into the City.

My point is that this is not a realistic daily commute, except for the diehards. Most people would just stay in London during the week and go home at the weekend.

MOCAŠ said:
OK, there are three of those a day, as flanaia1 said, but the fastest takes 1hr 38m and doesn't reach London until after lunchtime. The earliest doesn't get in until quarter past 10, and you'd still need to get into the City.

My point is that this is not a realistic daily commute, except for the diehards. Most people would just stay in London during the week and go home at the weekend.

I know of people, but not many who commute daily. I know far more who spend 1 or 2 days a week in the big smoke.

This commuting was a big thing in the late eighties when an estate agent was pushing it at every point trying to drive the Market up.

Why not ? It takes me 1 hour and 20 mins to drive to my office on a bad day, 55 minutes on a good day. For me it would come down to the economics a yearly ticket Doncaster - London or the cost of accommodation in London. Commuting Leave at 7am you would be in the city by 9:30am leave at 5pm home for 7:30pm 12.5 hour day, which is probably only slightly more than what most business people average and get loads of work done on the train depending on your job

Why not ? It takes me 1 hour and 20 mins to drive to my office on a bad day, 55 minutes on a good day. For me it would come down to the economics a yearly ticket Doncaster - London or the cost of accommodation in London. Commuting Leave at 7am you would be in the city by 9:30am leave at 5pm home for 7:30pm 12.5 hour day, which is probably only slightly more than what most business people average and get loads of work done on the train depending on your job

You'd still have to get to the station at Doncaster and from Kings Cross to wherever you worked which would make it a nightmare daily commute?

You'd still have to get to the station at Doncaster and from Kings Cross to wherever you worked which would make it a nightmare daily commute?

10 mins to Doncaster station for me and I allowed time to get to work in the city, not the perfect commute I agree but doable, a nightmare to some a challenge to others :D

flanaia1 said:
10 mins to Doncaster station for me and I allowed time to get to work in the city, not the perfect commute I agree but doable, a nightmare to some a challenge to others :D

Car park to station is 10 minutes on it's own, unless you have an executive ticket......

And its expensive at £10 a day

Oh dear, I suppose it has to have been repossessed

The poor previous owners.

I bet they could afford it now.:(

You are being led up the garden path

I drive 45-50mins to Glasgow, then walk another 45mins to may mates. Door to door time is 90mins.

However, I find that quite punishing when work was 25mins drive and a work car park, so door to door time was 25mins.

I now more and more stay at my mates in town and enjoy the virtues of a walk to work and a few beers and shisha to smoke after work.

How grim up north is it currently - I've got to go to Leeds first thing tomorrow.

I'm driving as although the train from Crystal Palace to Leeds only take 79 minutes door to door, I enjoy motorway service station coffee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom