North Wales -good spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Folks,

The hog is off on his annual week camping holiday with his mate and we;cew picked North Wales.

Both of us love driving and photography and are not adverse to some hill walking.

Things for us to do

1. Drive the Evo Triangle, are there any other note worth roads.
2. Snowdon, part of me wants to climb up, but there is a steam train, that looks interesting and fun.
3. Portmerrion Bay/Harbour....

Anything in Mid wales worth seeing, not adverse to a schelp in the car....

Any pointers appreciated.

Ta

Steve

Everywhere is a schlep in Wales... there will be caravanners & tourists everywhere!

Portmeirion is great

My usual route back from Anglesey to London was across Snowdonia via Menai Bridge, Llanberis, Beddgelert, Penrynhdeudrath, past Trawsfynnyd (Atomkraft Nien Danke!), Dolgellau, Llanfihangel, Llanfyllin then Welshpool, Church Stoke & Craven Arms

The best bit is in & out of Llanfyllin. The best car is something small & viciously fast like my old GTi Engineering Golf GTi Mk I

Nick Froome

James will be in a Mk V GTi Golf. Me in the Blistein equipped shed.

Cheers, Portmeirion is a definate.

I agree Portmeirion is good, if slightly odd.

Been up snowdon years ago (walked not the train) great views but if its a nice day prepare for it to be very busy.

Watch your speed, watch your speed then watch it again, ooh and then double check your speed, the welsh Police seem to like waiting just at the end of national speed limit zones where it looks like your still in a national limit (still open fields and lots of sheep) but its actually a 40 zone.

Trawsfynydd power station is worth a visit once.

Llechwedd slate mine is well put together.

The chippy in Barmouth is fantastic and try the ice cream parlour at the end of Barmouth beach.

Nice part of the world, but ARAF should be translated as STOP not SLOW, some of the bends are terrifying unless you know them.

Oh and the train up Snowdon you can get from Llanberis - much more civilised way of arriving at the summit, than sweaty with a rucksack on your back.

Dad was from Bala. There's a great big lake there, and the people are lovely but can't help much with the roads I'm afraid. Looking forward to any pics you may post though.
We only went there a couple of times (Dad had more sad memories of the place than happy ones).

Before he died, Dad told me he shot a German airman with his .22, who's plane had got lost after a bombing raid over the midlands, and crash-landed near Bala. He was a good story teller, me Dad, but insisted that the man recovered, married a local girl, and was still alive when he last enquired.

Anyway, it's a lovely corner of the world. Have a great time!

Finally, if you are a Prisoner fan, as already suggested Port Meirion is worth a trip and they do zorbing down on the estuary now :cool:

Roads:

A5 between Betws-y-Coed and Bangor - down the Nant Francon valley is spectacular, as is the scenery.

The Pass of Llanberis (A4086) is also worth the trip out.

One of my favourite places is Lake Vyrnwy:

8215848.jpg

I also recommend the Vale of Rheidol narrow-gauge railway - from Aberystwyth to Devil's Bridge. Very scenic, but a tad bone-jarring!

Last edited:
Llandudno is nice

If you go to Vyrnwy consider the Mawdach and Dyfi estuaries for photo ops. Spring watch 2012 is coming from Ynys Hir reserve on the Dyfi at the mo

Try the Ty Coch Inn on the llyn peninsula? Do a google images search and you will see why

If you do want to take the rain up Snowdon be aware it sells out quickly! See if you can book in advance or get there early.

OK Steve,
Lake Vernwy to Barmouth over the mountains - 3 ply road with great views.
The A 5 from Capel Curig to Bethesda, just for the views. Stop at the cafe on the left just after the lake on the right and follow the stream down to the waterfalls - magic.
There are loads of great roads and views to be had, just remember to stop sometimes instead of hacking everywhere.
As I told you in Yorkshire, go to the world renowned cafe in Llanberis, PETES EATS.
Beddgelert is good for photos if you walk down by the river as it goes into the gorge.

Brian.

A5 between Betws-y-Coed and Bangor - down the Nant Francon valley is spectacular, as is the scenery.

It sure is, we spent New years in Betws-y-coed. Portmerion is a must too but in the Nth of Wales its hard to see how you could go wrong.

IMG_6487aLarge.jpg

IMG_6313aLarge-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom