Northern Italy touring route ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Hello forum members,

The wife and I are heading off on a driving tour around Italy for about two weeks in May. One stop is definitely the Lake Como area
Lake Como - Lakes - Travel ideas

Any ideas for routes around Italy, preferably the top half, that would take in Como?

We'd prefer stunning scenery and small towns over bigger ones. I'm fine driving a lot, although, we prefer at least a few two day stops to soak up more of the local atmosphere and have a bit of a rest if the rest are long driving legs (it's just me driving).

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

How far south do you want to go? Really you are spoilt for choice. Padova, Verona, Modena, Bologna, Firenze, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Genova, to name just a few. Bologna and Firenze may be a bit large for your tastes but well worth visiting. As always in Italy the smaller towns and villages are well worth looking at. Most will have a picturesque central piazza or church to see surrounded by local hostelries. Lucca is a favourite of ours. Medieval walled town with classy shops as a bonus.

Last edited:
I have driven to lake Como a number of times
Choose your route from UK via France, Switzerland, and come in from the north, pick your pass they are all great
Stay a auberge lenno with its secure underground car park if you can for a few days. Water bus stop right outside and a very nice little village. Buy an all day water bus ticket and explore the lake and villas

From there the world is your oyster depending on how much time you have

If you intend to drive around the lake be aware of the sunny side and time of day, also the roads are narrow

Recommended to me in the past but I've not been yet.............
Stevio pass is great but its often busy with tourists. What's worth doing is navigating over to Davos as well. A great drive and quieter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom