Norton Antivirus 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Hi chaps and chapesses

Any idea where the cheapest place to buy this is ? i find myself needing to buy an original copy and i have not a clue where to go ....... don't want to get ripped off at PC world..... anyone got a copy they want to sell :rolleyes:

many thanks in advance

H

EDIT :- what about good old ebay ? are they all dodgy copies or trial versions ? ;)

Last edited:
PM me, ill send you FOC nortons antivirus 2004 pro and nortons firewall 2004, all come with a years free live update.

nothing different between the 04/&05 versions.

can i ask why you want norton of all things ?.............there are far better ones on the market,some are even free and still better....lol

shrekky said:
can i ask why you want norton of all things ?.............there are far better ones on the market,some are even free and still better....lol

Indeed ... I've ditched Norton completely on all my computers and as the subs come up for renewal on my clients', I'm moving them over to AVG (the free version if they're home users).

Norton was causing too many problems and slowing the computers down. The only Norton software I use now is Ghost.

Because I know nothing!
What's free, better than Norton and where do I download it?
TIA.
Neil.

neilrr said:
What's free, better than Norton and where do I download it?
I would heartily recommend AVG ; that's a link to the free version. The other, paid, versions add extra features but the free version is very good; I now routinely install it on any "home" computers.

There are others of course, but I don't bother with any except AVG.

Flyer said:
I would heartily recommend AVG ; that's a link to the free version. The other, paid, versions add extra features but the free version is very good; I now routinely install it on any "home" computers.

There are others of course, but I don't bother with any except AVG.

Yeah, I used to be a Norton person, but have been using AVG for the past 10/12 months....

I too would recommend AVG as that is what i use,i also have sygate firewall,which is also free and very good :D heres the link if anyone is intereted http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=sygate&tg=dl-20&search.x=14&search.y=8
Along with ad-aware se personal and spybot search and destroy,to keep the spyware away,both again free and you can get from www.download.com
Although i'm not a I.T technician i'm still pretty handy around these things :) ,i have been running these 2 things for 2 1/2 years now with now problems what so ever :D .
And flyer you are soooooooooo right norton does slow computers down or causes alot of crashes,it conflicts with so many programs,or once seriously attacked it is never the same again,and has more holes than my cheese grater :crazy:

Thanks.

I've recently started to use Firefox instead of IE. Does all this stuff work with it?

I personally still can't see past norton corporate 9.

maybe just a safety thing ..

I think we're being a bit unfair to Norton. I've used it for years and it's alright. Agreed it's a little heavy, and it slows the machine down a little, but you can enable/disable all the options you want to make it faster.

It's frequently updated and the support is ok. Not sure why so many people are disgrunteled about it.

Recently I have been installing free AVG on other people's machines, just so that I am doing things 100% legally. It works and it's good.

Norton Corporate 10 is excellent! What you would use for home and in the enterprise are very different! In an enterprise, you need the central monitoring bit so you can force everyone to have the latest virus definitions, run a scan and get reports on infections. A nice bit of big brother!!

I do run Symantec Internet Security at home. You can pick it up for just under £24 from these guys -
http://www.pyramiddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?partno=A91138/1

Howard, in direct answer to your original question - the last place I saw Norton for a decent price was in fact PCWorld. I got Internet Security 2005 for under £30. It's usually worth looking at Amazon too.

neilrr said:
I've recently started to use Firefox instead of IE. Does all this stuff work with it?
Yep, no problems whatsoever. A standard install for me now is AVG for anti-virus, SpyBot Search & Destroy AND Microsoft AntiSpyware for .... err, spyware, ZoneAlarm for firewall and all MS patches. Using Firefox with all those, you're pretty much as secure as you can be, without becoming obsessive about it ;)

Scott, I think the problem with Norton software is that it is bloatware and does cause problems because it has hooks everywhere into the OS. I had a couple of copies of SystemWorks and there is no doubt whatsoever that computers without it run much faster and "crisper". In an enterprise situation, I can see the attraction ... but would still go with AVG! :D

Howard, I've started to use ebuyer but Norton AntiVirus 2005 is £33.83 there, so perhaps not so good this time?

Too answer your question neil ,yes it does.............i run both IE and firefox.
And the reason norton slows things down before it even gives you trouble is becasue just like AOHELL it is so memory intensive,in fact in my experience norton and AOHELL is about the worst combination you could ever have,another problem with norton is that even have uninstalled it,it still leaves active registry keys which are a right pain in the ass,and someone i know tried to tell symantec the vunerabilies of norton and they fobbed him off,so he wrote a program to expose them,what did symantec do ?.............hmmmmmmmm you would think they would plug them with new updates but no,all the did was write a patch to block this gentlemans program,why ?.,.........because it had so many holes they would have had to scrap it and write a totally new program.
I build systems for people for free(well wont say no if they wanted to give me some money),primarily because i hate to see people ripped off,and companies like dell,hewlett packkard and a few others do just that,and the cost,well put it this way and depending what you wanted,but i could build a state of art system for around £350,build time about an hour.
Anyway have built several systems,but 2 come to mind,both women......lol........have exactly the same system as mine,same connection to internet..........in fact the only difference is they had norton(why ?...coz it came in a nice box..... :lol: )............now they had several problems i dont,one they are always getting booted from msn and yahoo messengers,they have audio software(for musicians) that they couldn't use because norton didn't like it,and when started norton goes bananas,and one even had a conflict with a web cam.ended up taking norton off both machines
If i had a £ for every time i had took it off someone's pc,i could buy a brand new S55 ............lol

cheers everyone ....... am downloading AVG as we speak ... is the free one ok or should i go pro ? :eek:

What they said

AVG :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom