Norton vs Firefox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dryce

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Had a call this morning from a friend who couldn't browse after Firefox updated itself to 3.0.4.

So after being stupid enough to get involved in this timewasting exercise it turned out only Firefox was failing - moreover it was able to resolve the website DNS but couldn't connect. Firefox settings looked fine - no proxies or anything strange. No IPV6 funnies. Cache and cookies were all cleared just in case.

I discovered that turning off the firewall didn't fix it, reinstalling an older version of Firefox didn't fix it, winding back the system to a previous restore point didn't fix it, hitting it with a sledgehammer wouldn't have fixed it.

My least favourite Anti-Virus software was installed - Norton Internet Security. So that was removed.

Problem solved.

I am really really p*ss*d off with Norton - yet again. Turning off the firewall had no effect. Adding Firefox explicitly to the program list had no effect.

im having trouble with opendns today - stopping websites thru firefox...coincidence?

Nope.

This was inability of FF to connect to anything on the local network as well as external whether by name or IP. DNS was fine - even for FF. Everything else managed OK.

Norton and FF 3.0.4 really don't get on at the moment - a temporary fix is to remove FF from the NIS exception list completely and then allow Norton to redetect it.

I share your love for Norton!

Norton and FF 3.0.4 really don't get on at the moment - a temporary fix is to remove FF from the NIS exception list completely and then allow Norton to redetect it.

I share your love for Norton!

Had exactly the same problem earlier this week. Turned out as well as the Windows Firewall, an old copy of NIS2006 had reactivated itself and the firewall was operating. Had a hell of a job getting rid of Norton but this tool does it.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml

Once removed, both Firefox and IE opened straight away.

Funnily enough that didn't work either.

After removing FF from the list there was no popup to ask what to do about it.

(And just to make sure we rebooted the system as well).

That's one of the reasons we decided to uninstal Norton.

Norton Internet security package after 2005 is a total nightmare to configure and maintain.

Uninstalling Norton still levaes lots of rubbish, and you nee dto run the Symantec/Norton utils to remove fully....

By the way - its being replaced by Symantec EndPoint.... SEPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom