Not a Benz but a new toy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

I bought this last week and am mighty impressed, there's plenty wrong with it for me to fix, but it's a great fun and surprisingly practical little car, it's a 325i manual and does drive beautifully.

The interesting thing is the difference between it and my 300ce, a car from the same era albeit from a size above, the w124 feels so damn modern in comparison, ergonomics are streets ahead as is the interior, the the w124 seems to have more low down torque, but I'm afraid the e30 sounds much better and nips round corners better, chalk and cheese!

Going to do it up over time to include respray and a new roof, in true red bmw fashion it's now pink, at least the paints still on it!

Got the original bill of sale when the lady px'd a 1987 320i and changed to this car after putting down a deposit for an 850i.

image-614615249.jpg

image-873147181.jpg

Loved my E30 325 cabriolet, mine was a 4 speed auto though which started to grate pretty quickly.

Love the shape though, very iconic.

Would definitely have another in a heart beat. Good ones are becoming rare to find, and are demanding strong money.
Lovely car, be sure to keep us posted with the updates.

I recall the episode of Top Gear where they bought three of these - make sure you clean that upholstery VERY thoroughly !

Very nice!

he E30 is a bit of a tardis, compare them to a modern three-series and it's tiny on the outside, but less so on the inside. So light inside compared to more modern cars too, huge windows help (Baur excepted).

Cool. You have to love the straight six bmw engines, whatever cc they are they are always sweet.

Growing up I always thought that was the best looking cabriolet going.
I think it featured as a "posh" car in Beverley Hills 90210 ( the original show)

These are alot of fun to chuck about, I love mine. Looks like the same color to, briliant red?

carat 3.6 said:
These are alot of fun to chuck about, I love mine. Looks like the same color to, briliant red?

It was brilliant red once, now a variety of pink / red hues

Nice car.

Always loved the E30 325i.

One thing that put me off is how old they felt - just like the E28 I had.

I nearly bought one but I went for an E36 325i in the end as I couldn't find any decent E30s back in 1999 which weren't silly money. I needed the extra room in the E36 anyways.

Standard LSD and 192BHP in a car that weighs nothing...

Don't forget to put a paving slab in the boot to improve handling.

Yes indeed like that, and loved my e30 325i Touring - such a nice noise as you say

I had a 320 in the late eighties. That engine was like sitting behind a sewing machine. The smoothest engine ever. Every other car I have had has disappointed on the engine refinement front since. Did ljks do an article about straight sixes and their inherent smoothness?

I think you'll enjoy bringing that up to standard. Lovely.

Have fun with new purchase, in case you are interested, one of the journos on Octane magazine is currently rebuilding his baur.

cheers, Steve

stevehg said:
Have fun with new purchase, in case you are interested, one of the journos on Octane magazine is currently rebuilding his baur. cheers, Steve

Thanks for the tip off, I'll look out for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom