Not a good day

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since the advent of "crash for cash" schemes, both Insurance Companies and the Police take a much more holistic view on "rear ending" in vehicles. You can see why?

It is simply is no longer the case tat anybody who rear ends somebody else is "automatically" deemed to be at fault. Each incident is to be treated on it's own merits with due consideration given to all the factors involved. As Pontoneer points out, you cannot sim[ly have people slamming on their brakes when it is unsafe to do so with the expectation that the people traveling behind will anticipate, what may be considered dangerous driving or, driving without due care etc.

In my own case (M1 Southbound) A large artic driver decided to stop in the live lane to retrieve his "dropped" mobile phone (he dropped it out his window whilst attempting light a cigarette) The resultant pile up was caused when several cars up to 500 yards behind crested a blind brow to be confronted with one of stationary traffic in the middle of three lanes of moving traffic. I stopped, the guy behind me stopped but the artic behind him did not. That pushed the guy behind e underneath me setting light to both out cars. The Artic driver who dropped his phone was charged and found liable for the crash.

Well nobody was hurt and the damage to your car seems light,I suspect you have lost at least one maybe two parktronic sensors,I suspect we have all had that near miss where a car in front moves off at a roundabout and you move off checking to your right for danger, look back and find the car in front has stopped for no reason you can see ,you hit the brakes at low speed and get away without hitting the car in front,your wife was unlucky.

Without footage of some sort of foul play it would be impossible to dispute.
Sometimes the other party will admit their fault , for example " I stopped to let the car out of the side road " is an admission of guilt since the rules of priority are contrary to that and if it causes a collision behind then the stopper is at fault .

The estimate for repairs at around £2500 has been submitted to my insurance company (LV). Apparently it’s usual procedure for insurance companies to try negotiating a deal on labour and parts prices before giving the go ahead.

Reactions: 219
Well the car went in for repair today; apparently it’ll take at least 10 days, which sounds a long time to me. They’ve given me a courtesy car to use: a Smart ForFour. The big thing it has in its favour is that it’ll be a constant reminder how good the C350 is! Leather seats, sat nav, air con and panoramic roof don’t necessarily equate with pleasurable driving.

Well the car went in for repair today; apparently it’ll take at least 10 days, which sounds a long time to me.
It’s because they’ll first inspect exactly which parts they need, then they’ll wait for delivery, then they’ll do the job. My secretary’s Corsa took three week just for a new rear bumper!

Finally got my car back today, 16 days after it went in for repair.

It’s been an interesting couple of weeks in the Smart, which I suppose performed as well as could be expected. The turbo would eventually kick in, but too often long after I’d pulled out from a junction forgetting how slow it was. Never bad enough to cause an accident, but a few times I wished I had a “sorry” sign to hang in the back window.

But at last I’m back in the C350, and what a joy it is. I must say that the repairers (Hilton Coachworks near Stansted Airport) did an excellent job - well worth the wait. Their attention to detail was excellent, right down to getting the new number plate and holder provided by Mercedes Peterborough so it was an exact replacement and matched the rear plate. I closely examined the join lines for the new bumper and they were spot on. In the end it also needed a new bonnet, and it was also perfectly aligned. The paint match looked spot on in this afternoon’s sunlight. I could tell from a thorough check that no shortcuts were taken, even the Parktronic wiring loom fitted behind the bumper had been renewed, along with the air con condenser that had been damaged but not broken.

Altogether the repair work came to nearly £4500 for the “minor shunt”. It’s by far the most expensive repair I’ve had done in over 50 years of motoring, and thankfully covered by insurance (less the £450 excess). Not the recommended way to get rid of a few tiny stone chips, but it’s great to have the car looking like new again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom