Not a good day..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benlucas

SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E55 Brilliant Silver Metallic
Just arrived home today and one of my neighbours came out to tell me 'my car had been hit' Damage

As well as the visible damage - both front wheels (o/s/f wheel minor scuff), o/s/f wing, bumper, trim etc. - the car was pushed into the kerb causing damage to the n/s/f wheel and possibly suspension

There were witnesses (2 neighbours) and a van driver caught it on dashcam (hoping to get the footage). Neighbours said he was driving too fast for the conditions, lost control and hit my car as well as nearly hitting 2 pedestrians. He was about to drive off before realising the whole incident had been witnessed then deciding to leave his details under my wiper. He also lives in the same road so identifying him won't be difficult.

Spoke to him this evening and he wants to avoid going through insurance because the car isn't insured and sorned. Asked me to get some quotes and he'll pay for it.

Whilst I don't have an issue with not involving insurance companies, I just see him potentially rejecting any quotes I get, but then does the spectre of uninsured driver remind him of the consequences of doing so?

I also contacted my insurers (Churchill) who reasured me that i wouldn't be penalised for just letting them know and mentioned the uninsured driver scheme would apply if I decided to claim on my policy.

So, can anyone recommend a body repair shop in the South East (Medway) area please?

Ben.

Regardless of the legalities of this, I hope he has got deep pockets as I would expect the damage to be quite expensive to rectify from what you’ve said.

Potentially in write off territory if the suspension has been damaged and the claim goes through your insurers?

Just arrived home today and one of my neighbours came out to tell me 'my car had been hit' Damage

As well as the visible damage - both front wheels (o/s/f wheel minor scuff), o/s/f wing, bumper, trim etc. - the car was pushed into the kerb causing damage to the n/s/f wheel and possibly suspension

Never good when this happens. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Spoke to him this evening and he wants to avoid going through insurance because the car isn't insured and sorned.....

Sorry, don't get this part.
Are you saying the car that hit you has no insurance and in fact "is" SORNd so should not have been on the road?
Was it on the road?

Spoke to him this evening and he wants to avoid going through insurance because the car isn't insured and sorned. Asked me to get some quotes and he'll pay for it.
That doesn’t bode well, as I’m sure you’ve already worked out. If he's driving around uninsured in a car that’s SORN'd he’s unlikely to have several grand stuffed down the back of the sofa.

My guess is that you'll end up having to claim on your own insurance and that the other guy is in a whole world of pain.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No more Mr Nice Guy. Turn it over to your insurers now. Otherwise you'll be messing around for months. If you want to get really serious report him to the police.

In my experience not to be a kill joy and hope everything gets sorted but you're insurance will go up because of this despite what they say its clased as a non fault and you will have to declare it for the next 5 year's ,all because some idiot was driving illegaly

As above. Get the insurance company involved.
I wouldn't trust him to pay up once he has seen the estimate.

Hope you've got legal cover on your insurance, only had to use it once when someone reversed into the front of my car (stationary, wife driving and daughter in passenger seat),. she (or husband, ex worker in car insurance) played silly B's, so I gave all details to my insurers. OK, it took a year until their insurers did not show up at court, but something I'd fixed for £250 (and offered to settle for that) resulted in win for us and a cheque for over £650, plus a letter from insurers that we were not at fault.

What's the value of the car? If it wasn't an E55 I'd say it'd certainly be a write off.

Sorry to hear this.

Firstly, I agree with the view that you may have no choice but to claim on your own insurer. If you are planing on getting the job done properly then it could be a four-figure sum. And if there's suspension damage the car could even end-up a write-off.

I suspect that when the other driver offered to pay he was thinking of ChipsAway rather than of Mercedes-Benz of Maidstone...

Now, the other party might be willing to pay any sum to avoid being reported, and you might be tempted to accept this in order to avoid a claim on your own policy, but that's taking a chance. If things don't go to plan, you are running a risk of ending-up seriously out of pocket.

Taking it on the chin with your own insurer might be your safest bet here. But you'll need to make sure you have proof it was his car (the note he left, the footage you mentioned, etc).

As for reporting the driver... I would just take the minimal route. I would give his details - car registration, name and contact details - to your insurer and let them deal with this as they do.

There's an argument that he should be reported to the police in order to stop him from driving around in a SORNed and uninsured car, but that's not directly related to fixing your car (it wasn't a hit-and-run), so make-up your own mind whether you think you should do that or not.

Have you checked if his car is actually uninsured , or is he just saying that to save his policy thinking the damage is minimal ?

A quick check on the MID should reveal all.

Bottom line is you have set the ball rolling with your insurer , very much doubt Mr SornNoInsurance will have what it needs (financially) to put the car right and if he does do you think he is the kind of guy who will just hand it over easily , or at all, so in the end you will have to claim your policy to get it fixed.

If he was going to do a runner initially i think you can have a decent guess as to which direction his moral compass is pointing.

K

PS - we were victims of a H+R a while back and it really pi$$ed me off , turns out the persons car was insured so in the end we didn`t have to claim our policy , took a while though and we had to involve the police.

If he isn`t insured and he is not going to cough up due to the size of the repair quotation then the best you can hope for is for him at least to cover your excess to get it sorted properly , this way it "kind" of keeps it amicable between neighbours ,it also keeps plod out of his business which may suit his circumstances.

Last edited:
As for the car... if the paintwork is still original, you might want to use an authorised MB body shop, to preserve the 30-years rust warranty. If the car has already been resprayed or repaired before by a non-MB body shop then at this point it doesn't matter where you get it fixed.

If the car wasn't insured then you can either go through your own insurance or try and settle it without ,But if he refuses to pay up you could possibly take him to court but if you win after a lengthy case if he hasn't got anything he could pay you back at a rate of £x per month, im all for sorting things out without the law, i hope hes a genuine bloke

What's the value of the car? If it wasn't an E55 I'd say it'd certainly be a write off.

A few years back Mrs MJ's parked car was hit from the side by a driver that lost control. On the face of it the damage seemed to be limited to the front wheel, front wing, and front bumper.

But when the recovery lorry driver tried to move the car, the steering and front suspension just collapsed underneath - the car was pushed against the kerb quite forcefully it would seem. It was subsequently written off.

So it's really down to how hard the car was hit. If the OP is lucky, wheel geometry alignment might be all that is needed.

Never good when this happens. Hope it gets sorted for you.

Sorry, don't get this part.
Are you saying the car that hit you has no insurance and in fact "is" SORNd so should not have been on the road?
Was it on the road?
Thanks. Yes, I have checked and it is sorned plus he admitted it isn't insured. It's now conveniently back on his drive post collision.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Lots of good info to digest. Really want the car repaired correctly so looks like my insurers is the way to go (with the caveat of writing it off of course.) Can't entertain 50p/week after a lengthy court case either. Won't involve the police, just pass info to my insurer and let them do the heavy lifting (literally, too).

I'd ask the guy for the value of your car to be transferred into your account tomorrow.
When it is repaired you can return him the difference if there is any.

If course he wont agree so I'd call the police and report it then claim on your own insurance.

So it's really down to how hard the car was hit.

It can seem almost random. Daughter's Golf was written off after being rear-ended by a (Mercedes) van. Didn't even break the rear lights and a used tailgate off eBay would have had it back on the road. In fact I've seen worse driven as is.

But there was the slightest kink in the C posts where the hinges had transferred the impact to a hoop around the rear hatch opening. Was miffed as a friend in the trade wanted the car and everyone got vague about where the car was. I suspected it had been knabbed but it did appear on Copart a few weeks later. Friend dropped out of the bidding as the price went too high. That was all handled her her insurer.

OTOH the car belonging to the daughter of friends of ours was heavily t-boned. Car worth £3k on a good day. There was no question in anyone's mind it was a write off, and our friends wanted it writing off, but the other drivers insurance insisted it be repaired.

Could he perhaps buy the car from you at an undamaged price. I hit a transit once and rather than do the insurance i bought the van and sorted it all out at my leisure. Was only £2200 and i put some back doors on it and sold it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom