Not a good start to Christmas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jp 1

Car
sprinter van,triumph stag,Nissan qashqai,bmwz4
Not a good start to Christmas, just had my chocolate Labrador (Ben)put to sleep.:(
He reach a good age 14 years old.
Had him since he was 3 from woodgreen animal centre.

That's awful. My thoughts are with you. RIP Ben.

Oh dear, very sorry to hear this.
At least YOU know he had a great life with you.:thumb:

Take comfort that you did the bravest,the most honest and the right thing for a loved pet that would thank you for that.

In total agreement with Bruce.
RIP Ben.

"If it should be" This poem was handed out some years ago by a local Vet. Hope it helps a little...

If it be I grow frail and weak
And pain should wake me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle can not be won

You will be sad, I understand
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test

We’ve had so many happy years
What is to come will hold no fears
You’ll not want me to suffer, so
When the time comes, please let me go

I know in time you too will see
It’s kindness that you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering I’ve been saved

Do not grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do
We’ve been so close, we two, these years
Don’t let your heart hold any tears

Dont let it get you down ,i know its hard for me to say this . But i have gone through this episode 5 times now over last 50 years All of them 5 dogs had a nice life with us., and i would have given an arm or a leg if i could have kept ether one of them .But as life is , there is no way you can keep them alive if they are ill . My last dog Bonnie , she was cremated and is in a nice wooden box with a brass plate on with her name on top . My word to you, , is dont wait, get another right away after CHRISTMAS .Thinking about your old mate .[.You have me crying now ]

Sorry to hear of your loss. Never a good time to lose a friend / part of the family. Our last two dogs have been from rescue centres , our present one not at all playfull , but still great company. Don`t know how old you are , but probably best you wait a little while before choosing another dog. If you find a suitable one it will be a great addition ( not replacement) , and i am sure it will have a good life with you.

Agree with all the comments and that is a powerful, heartfelt poem. Thank God time is a healer. Never forgotten, still loved, but the pain eases over time and all the good times flood through. Sounds like you are in compassionate company here, OP.

My wife's dog of 15 years (Australian Silky Terrier) who I'd grown to love as well was put down by the kennels he was in, unbeknown to us whilst we were on a plane back home to pick him up, after visiting close family after a two year gap in the far East. Was dreading calling the kennel after getting their text at Heathrow and then having to break the news to my dear wife. Was absolutely heartbreaking standing at the luggage carousel crying our eyes out. We buried him ourselves in our garden, deep down in a ceremony that was very touching for the two of us.

Finally we made the decision not to get another dog until we've got our traveling days behind us. There is no way we want to put our dog and us through that again. Every dog I see though (unless he's a really mad-eyed angry mutt!) I reach out to, give a pat of two and "chat" for a bit, if dog and owner willing. Love dogs, maybe more than the average human!

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Wow, just seen this thread.

Really sorry about your loss. As French said, you can take comfort in the great life you gave him. Memories last forever.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom