Not a good start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAZZER1

Car
mercedes e320cdi estate
The starter motor on my 2002 W210 E320cdi Avantgarde Estate is playing up, sometimes when I try to start the car the starter seems to engage but makes a spinning noise and disengages, If I then start it again its ok, I have had the starter motor checked a short while ago and the cogs on the starter are ok according to the mechanic, could this be the starter solenoid playing up as I don't want to have to buy a complete new starter which is rather expensive, if it just might be a solenoid problem, has any other Member had this type of problem ???:confused::confused:
All advice appreciated, Thanks Guys

BAZZER1

Could be teeth missing on the ring gear (flywheel) causing your problem, the mechanic could have easily checked this while he had the starter motor removed. (or is 'cogs on the starter' refering to the ring gear?)

Otherwise, starter solenoid (as you say)

Not too expensive....

Various Mercedes Benz New Starter Motor from 1996 until 2012 | eBay

Or failing clutch on the pinion.

Hi Ted, thanks for your reply, I am still having the same problem with my starter motor on my 2002 W210 e320cdi Avantgarde, this morning it started first time, went to Bournemouth, returned to car and same starting problem, it kicks in and then disengages with a sort of whirring noise, leave it for a while and the it starts on the button, its a mystery to me why this is happening, you mentioned it could be failing clutch on the pinion, can this please explain this a bit more and would it give the symptons I am getting with this.
Thanks again Ted
BAZZER1

Most starter pinions are pulled into mesh by the solenoid. This also causes the plunger in the solenoid to close the main contacts, so if the starter is whirring it is unlikely to be the solenoid.
Actually the starter armature will turn slowly as it goes into mesh as the 'pull in' winding completed its circuit via the armature.
The starter pinion also houses a one way clutch - this allows the starter to stay in mesh for a second without the starter destroying itself due to the gear ratio between the flywheel and pinion.
These clutches are in my experience rollers that lock one way and freewheel the other way, (truck assemblies actually have clutch plates) and if they fail, they give the symptoms you explain.
For all practical purposes, this means a replacement/recon starter motor is needed, I'm afraid.

Most starter pinions are pulled into mesh by the solenoid. This also causes the plunger in the solenoid to close the main contacts, so if the starter is whirring it is unlikely to be the solenoid.
Actually the starter armature will turn slowly as it goes into mesh as the 'pull in' winding completed its circuit via the armature.
The starter pinion also houses a one way clutch - this allows the starter to stay in mesh for a second without the starter destroying itself due to the gear ratio between the flywheel and pinion.
These clutches are in my experience rollers that lock one way and freewheel the other way, (truck assemblies actually have clutch plates) and if they fail, they give the symptoms you explain.
For all practical purposes, this means a replacement/recon starter motor is needed, I'm afraid.

Thanks again Ted, I was thinking the same thing that it might be a new starter motor, just wanted a second opinion on this before I bought a new one, I have seen a couple from various suppliers that are compatible for my car, A Bolk BOL-B051033 Starter with a Rated power 2 kw, 12 volts, 10 teeth, I am hoping that this is correct for a 2002 W210 e320cdi Avantgarde Estate, is there any way, without taking the old starter out that I can be sure this is the right one to buy.
Thanks for all your advice Ted, greatly appreciated.
BAZZER1

Can't help, but generally if it looks right, it is.
Check the fitment holes and cutout on the drive end bracket (the one that bolts onto the engine) count the teeth on the pinion - mark one tooth with a felt tip and count round, and check the solenoid connections are the same.
Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Ted
Will let you know how I get on with this. I wouldn't think its all that difficult to do, its a learning curve for me on this.
Best regards
BAZZER1

Can't help, but generally if it looks right, it is.
Check the fitment holes and cutout on the drive end bracket (the one that bolts onto the engine) count the teeth on the pinion - mark one tooth with a felt tip and count round, and check the solenoid connections are the same.
Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Ted
Mercedes Main Dealer wanted £ 720.00 for a new Starter Motor, I got the part number from them and found one from MAE at Salford that exactly matched the part number, a brand new 2.3kw, 12 volts Starter Motor, with correct number of teeth ( 10 ) for £ 69.99 post free.
So will be having this fitted soon.
Thanks to all for the help

BAZZER1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom