Not a Merc, but I've always wanted one of these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Man I love these. Everytime I see a decent example like this one I have to hold myself from buying! Are there any nightmare stories with these 4.4l engines? I heard they were better than the earlier 8-series engines.

There was a discussion on here a while back and I remember Mudster posting that there was an engine to avoid... i think that was the 5L though... ill search in a sec...

There was a discussion on here a while back and I remember Mudster posting that there was an engine to avoid... i think that was the 5L though... ill search in a sec...

Found the discussion started by Mudster, thanks. As suspected, the later 4.4 is the engine of choice. The stories on electrical problems sounds a bit of a mare though!

Yes also not sure if these were affected by the Nikasil problem...

Apparently the 850 was, but not the later 840 (I read that it was a free repair, so most should have had this sorted).

Moneypits....... Aside the great looks, very poor effort by BMW were these. Not great driving cars, not great grand tourers as they are far too uncomfortable, over complicated for no good reason (2 batteries for example), expensive to repair (over a grand per corner for the suspension), not really that fast unless it was the 5.6 V12 version coupled the optional 6 speed manual gearbox....

Avoid and go for the older E24 6 Series cars..... 635 CSI or the M-powered M635CSI (M6) were particularly tasty....

Moneypits....... Aside the great looks, very poor effort by BMW were these. Not great driving cars, not great grand tourers as they are far too uncomfortable, over complicated for no good reason (2 batteries for example), expensive to repair (over a grand per corner for the suspension), not really that fast unless it was the 5.6 V12 version coupled the optional 6 speed manual gearbox....

Avoid and go for the older E24 6 Series cars..... 635 CSI or the M-powered M635CSI (M6) were particularly tasty....

Like this :cool: I absolutely love these too...

BMW : bmw e24 635csi late 1982 automatic lower price

The 635 coupe was based on the floor pan of the previous generation of the 5 saloon series of the time and had the rep of being a bit "tail happy" but they looked and sounded great.:cool: They were terrible for falling to bits being littered with rust traps in the body.:(

Attachments

• 635m3.jpg
    635m3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom