Not All Tyres Are Equal Width!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
A tip I picked up from another forum and checked myself.

I have the same size tyres on the C270 and the front of my 968 - namely 205 55 R16. Flaken FK452's on the C270, Pirelli P6000's on the 968. Falkens are only slightly wider than the rim, Pirellis are a good 1/2" wider - thus rim has some protection from accidental kerbing. Goodyear Eagle F1's on the back of the 968 are the same, as apparently are Michelins and Toyo T1R's.

OK, we don't aim to kerb the rims, but it happens - and some tyres give your rims more protection than others.

Yes some tyres specifically have rim protection others dont.

A tip I picked up from another forum and checked myself.

I have the same size tyres on the C270 and the front of my 968 - namely 205 55 R16. Flaken FK452's on the C270, Pirelli P6000's on the 968. Falkens are only slightly wider than the rim, Pirellis are a good 1/2" wider - thus rim has some protection from accidental kerbing. Goodyear Eagle F1's on the back of the 968 are the same, as apparently are Michelins and Toyo T1R's.

The Mercedes wheels are wider...

Pirelli P6000's ( A.K.A Ditchfinders ) :crazy:

Tyre technology has moved on since those were made , i used to have them on my H plate CRX and they were terrible , but i was too tight/poor to bin them until they wore out !

On a 968 , i bet they would be hysterical ....

Pirelli P6000's ( A.K.A Ditchfinders ) :crazy:

Tyre technology has moved on since those were made , i used to have them on my H plate CRX and they were terrible , but i was too tight/poor to bin them until they wore out !

On a 968 , i bet they would be hysterical ....

Just because the brand name has been used on tyres for 20 years or so does not mean the tread design or compounds have not changed. My W203 C320 has Pirelli P6000 all around, they were on the car when I bought it and despite driving in extremely heavy rain and over a range of surfaces from smooth motorway to gravel tracks I have not had a problem with them.

Tyres will also work very differently on different cars.

Guys, I was not trying to recommend one tyre over another, merely to highlight the difference in fitted width at the rim between tyres - that some give you more protection against accidental kerbing than others! My car came with tyres that gave little or no protection, and with rims that had been well kerbed by the first owner. I've replaced those with effectivly brand new (but otherwise identical) rims, and try to look after them - when I fitted the Falkens I did not realise the difference in "width at the rim" between various tyres. Now I know, I will not be looking at 452's when I get the 968 rims refurbished and fit new tyres, nor will I get 452's again (despite being happy with the price and ride quality so far) next time I need tyres for the C270.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom