Not as loud!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virgovirgo71

Car
Mercedes SL R230 BRABUS B11
Hi people.
After having the post cats and centre silencers deleted off my Brabus it sounded absolutely awesome! Growling and thundering, that just left the pre cats and the rear boxes to the exhaust system. I've noticed after 1500 miles, the sound has somewhat gone quiet! no more growling or thundering on idle, or just above 1000rpm.
Ok maybe I'm used to it but it's nothing like it used to be! Around 2000/2500 rpm there's noticeable sound but again not like it used to be! Am I right in thinking that the back boxes are coked up? But my exhausts are really clean inside no black soot whatsoever!

I read today that a fellow MB club member has deleted all silencers including rear boxes and had straight pipes from 1st cats to the tips he has a SL65. His statement says it sounds as it should.

So people should I delete the internals of the rear boxes and re weld to get back the sound I want or will my car sound like a tank which I obviously don't want.

Eagerly waiting your thoughts!

the sound

You could just leave things as they are and realise that not everyone appreciates having the "awesome growling and thundering" of other peoples' cars inflicted upon them and the entire neighbourhood.

Scott_F said:
You could just leave things as they are and realise that not everyone appreciates having the "awesome growling and thundering" of other peoples' cars inflicted upon them and the entire neighbourhood.

I would of bought a Yaris if I wanted a quiet car.
Get some earplugs my friend.

Hi Virgovirgo71

Could it be like you said, you got used to the sound levels?

You won't like it when the rozzers hand you over an asbo! Lol

MSG2004 said:
Hi Virgovirgo71 Could it be like you said, you got used to the sound levels?

I think your right! I am probably used to the sound. If I'm honest it still sounds great.

Bore off :fail

Bore off :fail

I think that you might fit in better on Pistonheads Stuart, it seems that you have outgrown this forum in some ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you might fit in better on Pistonheads Stuart, it seems that you have outgrown this forum is some ways.

Thanks for your input ;)

I met a lovely chap who has been a long term member on here way before me.

He advised me there has, is and always will be an AMG/ Non AMG divide on here. That's quite sad really.

It's also the reason he doesn't post. I won't be bullied into not posting like he has been.

Hi people.
After having the post cats and centre silencers deleted off my Brabus it sounded absolutely awesome! Growling and thundering, that just left the pre cats and the rear boxes to the exhaust system. I've noticed after 1500 miles, the sound has somewhat gone quiet! no more growling or thundering on idle, or just above 1000rpm.
Ok maybe I'm used to it but it's nothing like it used to be! Around 2000/2500 rpm there's noticeable sound but again not like it used to be! Am I right in thinking that the back boxes are coked up? But my exhausts are really clean inside no black soot whatsoever!

I read today that a fellow MB club member has deleted all silencers including rear boxes and had straight pipes from 1st cats to the tips he has a SL65. His statement says it sounds as it should.

So people should I delete the internals of the rear boxes and re weld to get back the sound I want or will my car sound like a tank which I obviously don't want.

Eagerly waiting your thoughts!

the sound

In answer to your question.

You will likely have 4 cats, a resonator then back boxes.

Deleting more cats/resonator will make louder. As will gutting the silencers. Bear in mind no cats = MOT fail.

I met a lovely chap who has been a long term member on here way before me.

He advised me there has, is and always will be an AMG/ Non AMG divide on here. That's quite sad really.

The car in question is a Brabus not an AMG.

But whether it's a performance Mercedes, a barry-boy Corsa or a yoof on a 49cc moped doesn't matter at all. An unwelcome racket is an unwelcome racket.

Babies - they can't stop themselves making a noise. Usually, because they want attention...

Babies - they can't stop themselves making a noise. Usually, because they want attention...

Miawwww!loool

When we were small children we used to use clothes pegs to hold playing cards in the spokes of our bikes.

I suppose this is the motoring equivalent.

230346d1390238487-powerstroke-meme-46fd00b42ee578d6919805b0482a3efd.jpg

I think there's noise and there's noise.

A V8 growl is very attractive to me (even with some mods to "enhance" it).

One of the most popular features of an AMG is it's sound - and the motoring press seem to agree.

However, something that's loud enough to be noise pollution is very unattractive, whether it's an AMG or riced up Saxo.

One of the most popular features of an AMG is it's sound - and the motoring press seem to agree.

However, something that's loud enough to be noise pollution is very unattractive, whether it's an AMG or riced up Saxo.

Agree hence I have left resonator and primary cats in.

An IPE sounds better though!

Indeed. I've heard AMGs which I feel have "gone too far" and they sound OTT for my liking.

Louder meaty under heavy tilt is good but relative quiet is good most of the time.

But I am getting old so that probably accounts for not liking loud cars anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom