Not as loud!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excessive sound (in the opinion of the tester) can be an MOT fail now. I guess it's pretty rare, but something to bear in mind:
Method of Inspection
During all parts of the emissions test relevant for the vehicle, assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise.

Reason for rejection
A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

I think I'm missing something here

OP asked wether certain procedures would make something louder or not

But all I've seen are replies about how it would personally annoy them? I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP asked for :fail:

Reminds me of bickering on Facebook (ooh, another public forum) you look at a photo or post, most the time it has people commenting complete irrelevant codswollop taking it personally (let's face it, it's personal) but I wonder, why even comment?

I personally don't like Songs of Praise, or some other programs, music, food, whatever. That being, I don't find myself the need to comment on stuff regarding these things simply because it might bother me if I was sat next to it experiencing it in person

Fair enough if the original post was downright ludicrous, it's not. Countless other members on here making their cars go faster, louder or whatever I just don't see the point in negative posts. Honestly it's like when my missus starts moaning about something, just switch off!

The OP introduced the topic of the desirability or otherwise of quietness in post 3, so I think it's reasonable to carry on the discussion.

Last edited:
I personally don't like Songs of Praise, or some other programs, music, food, whatever. That being, I don't find myself the need to comment on stuff regarding these things simply because it might bother me if I was sat next to it experiencing it in person
!

Me neither, but Songs of Praise, someone's taste in cheese, etc, isn't going to drive up my street creating 100+ dB of sound in the middle of the night waking me from sleep.

Why not feed the exhaust outlets directly into the car? All problems solved then.

Bellow said:
Me neither, but Songs of Praise, someone's taste in cheese, etc, isn't going to drive up my street creating 100+ dB of sound in the middle of the night waking me from sleep. Why not feed the exhaust outlets directly into the car? All problems solved then.

Thanks for all your comments.
Much appreciated.

Bellow said:
Me neither, but Songs of Praise, someone's taste in cheese, etc, isn't going to drive up my street creating 100+ dB of sound in the middle of the night waking me from sleep. Why not feed the exhaust outlets directly into the car? All problems solved then.

Very true mate, I wouldn't appreciate it either but it's the OP's choice wether he is going to star in Neighbours From Hell next year or not :)

I like to hear loud exhausts sometimes, I might even crack open my car window to hear better.

I'll not be bothered at night as the traffic is far enough away to leave me to my slumbers unaffected.

On the other hand I'd not be likely mix in the pub with the drivers of said vehicles

Funny how most times you'll never hear an AMG/Brabus/500 V8 owner complain that their car is 'too loud'. Once you've had it, cant live without it ;)

I think I'm missing something here

I personally don't like Songs of Praise,

Whats up with Aled Jones then? eh? you come on on here with your holier than thou routine and yet, you are just like them other barry boys, hoodies and such forth/

You make me sick.

If I was you....etc etc etc....and so on

where is Dieselman when you need him. He would have the decibelometer out and proved that an AMG is actually less disturbing that a bimbling 1lts corse with a drainpipe exhaust, purely on noise/time exposure....

I miss all my AMG's......one day soon however

Loved the sound of your C class on over-run :)

Thanks for your input ;)

I met a lovely chap who has been a long term member on here way before me.

He advised me there has, is and always will be an AMG/ Non AMG divide on here. That's quite sad really.

It's also the reason he doesn't post. I won't be bullied into not posting like he has been.

OOo-er! I have an AMG (E55K) and a non-AMG (SL500). I have a rather louder than normal exhaust on the SL500, which is therefore louder than the E55K, but I don't care for antisocially noisy exhausts. Do I have a split personality? Decisions, decisions...

OOo-er! I have an AMG (E55K) and a non-AMG (SL500). I have a rather louder than normal exhaust on the SL500, which is therefore louder than the E55K, but I don't care for antisocially noisy exhausts. Do I have a split personality? Decisions, decisions...

On that subject I don't disagree there's loud, louder and then there's ridiculously chavvy loud.

I don't like the last one either.

My opinion is that removing baffles probably won't give you the hit you're after.

After a lifetime of modifying all the motorbikes & cars I've ever had, if the vehicle you have doesn't make the right sound from the stock parts, then removing the baffle will only change the exhaust note and its rarely for better. You need to change at least part of the exhaust to meet your needs.

Or as said early, just get rid of the cats for a while, but make sure you can swap them back in ready for your MOT! that's what a lot of bikers do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom