Not destined to own a Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
Hi all,

So my story started back in August, I purchased a new c250d AMG line estate, after a couple of weeks I wasn't very impressed with the dealer, but got a decent discount so thought I'd just put up with it and get the car.
On 31st August I attended the midnight hand over, got the car and was happy! :bannana:

17 days later I went on holiday to Cornwall, 400 odd mile drive, car never missed a beat, drive assist was awesome.

Day 18 took the car to explore Cornwall, 15 miles later Engine Management Light came on, took the car back to the accommodation, used Merc Assist, they said it's only a warning light, the car is fine to drive, mentioned I was on holiday and that I would cover 2000 odd miles before the car can go into my local dealer, they said it's fine. Car had only covered 950 miles.

Day 19 Decided to take the car to Truro Merc as it was bothering me, no appointment, they looked at it after about 45 mins, checked the fault apparently CAT sensor but was a stored fault not an active fault, they reset test drive, light stayed off. Said they would replace the sensor but haven't hit one in stock, but it should be fine. Took the car, 1.5 miles down the road EML back on again. Phoned Truro, they ordered sensor, arranged to fit next day.

Day 20 car now done 1100 miles, car goes back to Truro for 45 min appointment for sensor change. After an hour car still on ramp, they came out to say the "pins are corroded" so they need to replace the wires the lead into the car.
Long story short I eventually got a base level Passat hire car to use after 4 hours of what I can only explain as torture that is the Merc Assist hire car process because I have a dog and wouldn't accept a saloon.

Day 21 after research found that the "corroded pins" means water in footwell, which is interior strip out. So formally rejected the car under consumer rights act section 22.
Had call from Ipswich Merc asking if I would accept the car back fully repaired with a good will gesture, I declined, was promised a Merc estate hire car either in Cornwall if possible, or will be waiting when I get back on Saturday.

Day 22 discussion with Sales Manager in Ipswich, said I want a C43 as replacement, and to provide figures for change.

Day 24 drove home in Passat, hideous rubbish back hurting car!

Day 25 visited Merc Ipswich, no hire car no figures!

Day 27 car transported back to Ipswich

Day 31 finally got Merc estate car from MBUK

Day 34 no figures for new car, went to dealership, they priced up the car at apparent cost, I added more deposit, asked for MBUK to contribute something for all the hassle. They were submitting details for request. Also found out car was not repaired, still has fault.

Day 36 email to say details submitted, would update me on day 40

Day 40 no update

Day 41 no update

Day 42 I had to chase for update, apparently they had to submit something else

Day 43 no update

Day 44 - today!! eventually last minute email saying waiting for MBUK will update me Monday.

As you can imagine I'm pretty fed up at the position, but it seems my custom means nothing.
Am going to Audi and BMW this weekend to get some quotes on an S4 and 340i/335d.

My whole Mercedes experience was been a nightmare, wish I never brought a new car! :wallbash:

Another example of poor after sales customer service. It does seem to vary from dealer to dealer, but you have had a poor experience. No wonder you are looking elsewhere.

Have really had a gut full, have to be careful, I'm driving around in their loan car at the mo, if I tell them where to go I could be carless until the new one arrives!

Sad tale - they have taken large amounts of your hard earned cash then treat you like this.
Shame, I've owned several Audi's in the past and while they have been perfectly adequate I've never found them to be as "complete" as an MB. As for BMW, I've test driven several times and always bought an Audi or MB

Sounds like a nightmare, if you do still fancy a Merc and want to try another dealer Michael Wilson from Mercedes Chelmsford is a good guy.

Really hope it gets sorted soon.

Have you contacted MB UK directly to speak with them?

The dealer really needs to own up to their responsibilities. I admire your patience, if it was me I'd be handing it back as being not fit for purpose.

Sounds like a nightmare, if you do still fancy a Merc and want to try another dealer Michael Wilson from Mercedes Chelmsford is a good guy.

Really hope it gets sorted soon.

Have you contacted MB UK directly to speak with them?

Yup, they just passed th complaint to the local dealer.

The dealer really needs to own up to their responsibilities. I admire your patience, if it was me I'd be handing it back as being not fit for purpose.

Car is handed back, and sitting at dealer, finance cancelled. I've been waiting 3 weeks now for a new car quote!

I've sworn off new cars precisely for this reason. I'd rather spend a fraction of the money on a classic Mercedes and have it fully restored and ready to last longer than I will...

I've sworn off new cars precisely for this reason. I'd rather spend a fraction of the money on a classic Mercedes and have it fully restored and ready to last longer than I will...

I think it's the way forward!

Phoning MB is a waste of time. Well, I won't be using MB Ipswich next time round. I'll go up to Norwich and use JBD.

So many stories of poor after sales here in U.K. Although there seem to be a few good dealers in fairness .

Different story in Germany , haven't heard anything bad about dealers there .

Only story I can relate is after my dad got his first Mercedes , a new W110 190 back in 1964 , we took it on holiday to Germany . Driving down the Rhine ( the road at the side ! ) a car came round a tight bend a bit wide and hit our nearside front wing doing a fair bit of damage . None of us spoke any German back then , but the police called the nearest MB dealer and arranged for us to be picked up . ( The insurance was another matter and took a while to sort out , but my dad's insurance covered the immediate repair ) .

Anyway , we were recovered to this dealer on a Saturday afternoon with a badly damaged car - the response was " You are tourists , take this car with our complements ( another new MB ) and come back on Monday , when your car will be ready "

It was !

Bought. Not brought.

Sorry, but that really niggles when people make basic grammar mistakes.

I'd be as ****** off as you are if it had been me with car problems, so you have my sympathies.

Bought. Not brought.

I'd be as ****** off as you are if it had been me with car problems, so you have my sympathies.

That one used to annoy me too - until I realised it is caused by predictive text , which often 'corrects' what you type without your noticing .

Bought. Not brought.

Don't prod the bear, seriously. [emoji12]

I've had similar issues with Audi and Bmw..... so it's not just them, although I've heard little positive from Mercedes and my dealing with Glasgow Mercs been pretty poor.

Hi

Stories like this make MB a lol,stock.

Dealers like these need to lose their franchise imo, if it is a franchise.

With your woes, I would have though they'sd given you at least a higher spec car, ideally same as yours and thoroughly test/resolve your cars prob
GL

Bought. Not brought.

Sorry sir, will try harder next time :D

Don't prod the bear, seriously. [emoji12]

Lol. Grammar is the least of my worries!

Hi

Stories like this make MB a lol,stock.

Dealers like these need to lose their franchise imo, if it is a franchise.

With your woes, I would have though they'sd given you at least a higher spec car, ideally same as yours and thoroughly test/resolve your cars prob
GL

You would have thought so, I got just over 13% discount, so the 14% being offered is not that great.

I basically wanted free servicing and a £2k contribution however that comes (they could lower the interest rate to even that out)

But it all seems like too much hard work. I feel currently that I'm at the bottom of the pile and they'll do it when they can be bothered!

I've had similar issues with Audi and Bmw.....

My feeling is that MB are rather better overall than BMW.

However the OP's experience should have resulted in a customer who ended up being impressed by the response by MB and the dealer in sorting the situation out.

The fact that the rejection of the car seems to have been relatively straightforward is the only saving grace - but MB should have expedited a solution that got the customer into another MB.

My feeling is that MB are rather better overall than BMW.

However the OP's experience should have resulted in a customer who ended up being impressed by the response by MB and the dealer in sorting the situation out.

The fact that the rejection of the car seems to have been relatively straightforward is the only saving grace - but MB should have expedited a solution that got the customer into another MB.

Indeed, the car went wrong, was it the dealers fault? No!
It's how you deal with the situation, and do what you can to maintain a relationship, communication is key.
If they called or emailed with updates as they promised I'd know the situation. But as it sits, I don't, so my business is now at great risk as after a 3 week wait I'm now shopping about and more than likely taking my business elsewhere, but maybe that's their plan?

Mate of mine be returned an CL55AMG under a similar circumstance. (Now his family are seriously loaded and probably spend circa 3-400k pa on cars with this multi franchise dealer. But anyway he rejected the CL and he asked to re order an SL55 AMG. So he said I want a courtesy car, remembering I'm an AMG customer not a standard Mercs customer. Well the dealer sent him a list of options, nothing took his fancy. The dealer principle phoned him and said what about a Phaeton?? As he said almost a Bentley and as he has 16.5 cars anyway he said yeah and used it for 6 months as his commuter.

The SL was delivered 6 months later, but the Phaeton remained. He called the DP a few weeks later and said, love the SL, better built car so please take the Phaeton away.

The dealer said, no. It's the least we can do to hopefully repair the damage with your family. Keep it with our compliments.

Now this sounded odd. He digged deeper and it almost sounded like he was doing them a favour, they couldn't sell them and had to rotate stock periodically. Tell you money goes to money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom