Not eBay but still an auction with some Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Also some very interesting other marques.

Several Mercedes on offer with no reserve at Silverstone Auctions, 27 - 28th July. Quite a bit of other nice stuff as well but the Mercedes make it for me. I don't seem to have a particular favourite in this collection, let's face it, they're all lovely, though if I did have to pick I'd be torn between the Mk I Lotus Cortina and the W108 280SE. The Citroen DS would have been in with a shout but it's too late a model for me.

The catalogue looks a bit like a small portion of the cars belonging to @jaymanek but in reality we know that he rarely sells anything of special interest. :D

Love the two tone SEC in red over silver. Have seen a pre facelift W124 coupe in this colour also and think it really suits.

A couple of the MB descriptions are mixed up and when clicking on anything I get a '404 error'.

I love the auction estimate price with (+buyer's premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%), so a £40k buy becomes £50k+!

I like the Arnage 500T. Looks great.

I love the auction estimate price with (+buyer's premium of 15% including VAT @ 20%), so a £40k buy becomes £50k+!

The VAT is levied only on the buyer's premium, so I calculate the cost to be £46,200.

(£40k plus £6k buyer's premium plus £1.2k VAT on the buyer's premium)

The VAT man doesn't tax used cars, only the sales commission being taken on flogging them.

Here's their write up of their buying process:h ttps://www.silverstoneauctions.com/pages/buy

Last edited:
Very nice, on just 38k miles:

1988 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEC (C126)

8.jpg

7.jpg

Anyone want to buy an MG Metro:
1985 MG Metro 6R4

For a quarter of a million quid.

5.jpg

I mean, it's OK, but I'd have to change those wheels....

Estimate £35-45K - plus 15% buyers premium + VAT, as above!

Agreed: apologies, I thought you said £40k plus £15k buyers premium + VAT.

But we should be wary about their estimates, they're only a best guess. Could be £35, could be £50 plus fees, could be unsold. It all depends on the second
highest bidder.

They won't remain unsold, as written in the OP and the Silverstone web page, no reserve on any of them.

Brave decision? Or shrewd?

No apology needed Mike, my brain was in neutral thinking 15% of 40k was more than 6k, and that the VAT was on the bid+buyers premium - never been to an auction so don't know how the system works!

Sounds a lot of money for a 31 year old car even with low mileage and superb condition - but what do I know about classic car prices (not a lot!). I think I'd struggle to sell my 26 year old classic for anywhere close to the "in the region of £20k" that PCGB valued it at a couple of years ago!

Buyer's premium of 15% including VAT = 15%.

Or, in other words, buyer's premium of 12.5% plus VAT.

So £40k +15% = £46k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom