Not Happy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexis.jones

Car
C320 CDI Sport
I had my car serviced at MB in Northampton 2 months ago and while i was driving today i noticed lots of whining so automaticaly remembered reading on here about the power steering fluid. So i stopped and checked, it was completely empty :eek:. Surely they should of checked that and topped it up on the service. NOT HAPPY

I had my car serviced at MB in Northampton 2 months ago and while i was driving today i noticed lots of whining so automaticaly remembered reading on here about the power steering fluid. So i stopped and checked, it was completely empty :eek:. Surely they should of checked that and topped it up on the service. NOT HAPPY

I had a simlar problem before 6 weeks after a service one of my tyres had no air in it, you would think they would have checked it at the last service and topped it up :wallbash:

I agree with the others...stupid post.

Get off the fence C - say what you mean.

I had my car serviced on Tuesday. Looked in my wallet today and no money. Damn Garages.

I can see his point, if the 18 month old car is losing fluid at such a rate that it drains in 2 months, the car is faulty, if not, then the service technician is faulty, both reasons to be a little miffed.

I can see his point, if the 18 month old car is losing fluid at such a rate that it drains in 2 months, the car is faulty, if not, then the service technician is faulty, both reasons to be a little miffed.
Checking fluid levels in your own car is the driver's responsibility. The fluid may have been fine when checked a whole two months ago. The OP is plainly blaming the garage for something that may not be their fault. As for the car being 18 months old, well sh!t happens I'm afraid, it just needs sorting out.

My car lost all its fluid, including that for the rear suspension, in...2 minutes. I don't think 2 months is too short a period to lose the fluid...when it springs a leak.

This really does sound like the mythical Rolls Royce owner who changed the car because the ash tray was full. Or who complained because a tyre went flat.

The OP's expectations are unreasonable and also unthought out. The fluid does not reduce during normal circumstances. So, if they had noticed it was low 2 months previously, they would not just have topped it up...they'd have looked for the cause. And if it had been low 2 months earlier, it would not have taken 2 months to empty. His problem probably arose on the same day that he noticed it.

Some people just like to complain...and make themselves look stupid in the process. And this is a prime example.

OP...please now check your oil level...because it really will be too late when you "notice" it's low.

Last edited:
Wow ok, in the two months the service had been done the car has moved about 100 miles and has no leak. It is my fault for not checking the fluids i agree but i placed my trust with mercedes service department.

Edit

Last edited:
Two lessons to learned here. One check all your car's fluid levels regularly yourself [ admittedly power steering is not one that people do routinely] but since it takes only seconds? Two don't rely on an MB's service department's checks--- some are excellent some are frankly atrocious---- also the guy doing the service has a service operations check sheet--- if checking the power steering fluid level isn't on there on the service schedule --- he won't do it! Barring catastrophic failure or damage to a steering component which is possible but unlikely then gradual loss of fluid due to a chronic leak would have possibly shown up as a reduced level at the service and alerted the mechanic of a potential problem. However if it was not scheduled to be checked_____??? Your strongest grounds for complaint would be if the the power steering fluid level check was indeed part of the documented service list. However its almost impossible to prove this without further investigation of the cause of the fault. DO NOT IGNORE THIS since such drastic loss of fluid means there is a fault somewhere and will recur -- the fluid just doesn't normally disappear into thin air.

Wow ok, in the two months the service had been done the car has moved about 100 miles and has no leak. It is my fault for not checking the fluids i agree but i placed my trust with mercedes service department.

Of course it has a leak.

This stuff doesn't just evaporate. Until mine leaked it hadn't been touched for years.

alexis.jones said:

I suggest you have the system checked it is unlikely that you don't have a leak as the lack of fluid (in your OP you say it was empty) would indicate you do. Can I put it another way if your engines oil light came on after only having been serviced 2 months ago and having covered just 100 miles would you think the garage was at fault or would you think you car has a problem losing engine oil. The reality is you can lose an awful lot of fluid in two months so the leak per day could be just minor and may not show up as fluid loss in just a few days since you discovered the problem. I would get the steering checked to ensure you don't have any further problems in the future.

I agree with the others...stupid post.

It was somewhat ill thought out as a post but probably just a way of letting off steam.

A minor leak from the steering may not be obvious and may only occur when driving and it is likely that any fluid leaking will be blown away in the airflow under the car.

This just underlines the need to regularly check all essential fluid levels, tyre pressures, tread condition etc regularly whatever the age of the car although I know of several friends who never check anything on their cars because " the garage will do it when it is serviced" or "it is a company car and I do not care" or the worst I think, "it passed the MOT so they would have checked it so I do not need to bother"

Last edited:
Calm down guys, Op is obviously frustrated.
Even if there is a leak it should have been spotted at the service, considering the car has done 100miles I’d say go back to MB and explain.
Normally my local MB dealer are very understand & helpful.

Calm down guys, Op is obviously frustrated.
Even if there is a leak it should have been spotted at the service, considering the car has done 100miles I’d say go back to MB and explain.
Normally my local MB dealer are very understand & helpful.

Isn't the point that nobody knows when the possible leak started, the fact that the car has covered 100 miles in 2 months since the service is neither here nor there. I can only guess from the small amount of info that the OP has not checked the fluid either before the service and not until the noise became obvious, regardless of how frustated they are they really do need to seek professional help to have it checked over.

Have to say I went on war path finding the oil warning on 3 days after a service.

got home and noticed a pool of oil on the driveway. Oops.

driving today i noticed lots of whining so automaticaly remembered reading on here about the power steering fluid. So i stopped and checked, it was completely empty

If it was leaking before the service wouldn't it have been making the same noise?

You don't have to be S.Holmes to figure out it has since developed a leak.

D'oh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom