Not Leather Interior in Mercedes Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's "man-made leather". That would be plastic, then. One saleslady even told me that I should treat the interior of my Artico-clad car with leather preservative. Not sure about that. :D

On some cars most of it is Artico and a small part is leather to produce the smell of leather. The amount of industrial steam irons that are used on the production line to 'finesse' the car seat cover into place and get all of the creases out has to be seen to be believed.

P.S ,mine are Leather :p

Its new to people who dont know,its old hat to me and im sure many others in here,but the fact of the matter is,why are the mercedes dealers telling people it leather interior? they even provide a leather cleanetr kit to look after it, when its not,ITS PLASTIC? thats the whole point of the post nothing wrong with recycling etc,but stop conning the people who are buying the cars,be straight,its recycled plastic material your seats are made of,then let us decide if we want them or not and the car prices should be down people knowing this

Its new to people who dont know,its old hat to me and im sure many others in here,but the fact of the matter is,why are the mercedes dealers telling people it leather interior? they even provide a leather cleanetr kit to look after it, when its not,ITS PLASTIC? thats the whole point of the post nothing wrong with recycling etc,but stop conning the people who are buying the cars,be straight,its recycled plastic material your seats are made of,then let us decide if we want them or not and the car prices should be down people knowing this

The original article is over two years old.

Have you proof that Mercedes are "conning" customers as you suggest?

If you have then show us the sales material where it sates "full leather seats" when they supply part leather because I am sure MB will have worded any description to be legally accurate. In that case the information you want to "let us decide" has / will have been provided.

Why should car prices come down because not all of the seat is leather? There is clearly a cost to produce the car in the trim materials in which it is sold.

Again if you wish to accuse MB o r anyone else of being untruthful I would be happy to see your evidence. For the record an out of date poorly researched article from such a reliable source as the Daily Mail is not evidence is it?

Salespeople are not always completely up to date with all options available in a model as there are thousands of permutations.

I haven't seen this on the MB website, but non-MB dealers' websites are full of Artico car being advertised as 'leather'.

Having had both leather, cloth, and Artico cars, I personally prefer Artico, but the fact remains that leather is an option that affects price, so passing Artico as leather is a con.

Unless the second hand car dealers don't know it... and I am sure there are some who are unaware, in which case it isn't a con as such, but it's at the very least 'not as described' , even when it's an honest mistake.

There is something a bit underhand with Mercedes in the way they advertise this in their brochures. Calling it 'Artico' somehow conveys something special, when it's just vinyl and the small print mentions that it is 'man-made leather' - not plastic. The honest MB-tex they used to do up to the 1990's was hard wearing, but was not a desirable option in the used market - most wanted leather or cloth especially if it was an S-Class. It was hard wearing though - Artico isn't.
Audi also do this with their £995 'leather twin' option - the middle bits are leather, but the bolsters, sides and backs of the seat are plastic.
I know this is an issue in the used non-franchise dealer network. A dealer tried to pass off BMW's dreadful 'sensotech' plastic as leather when I went to look at second hand X3 years ago. I told him it wasn't leather, but they never changed the advert.

We have three MBs - one with cloth, one with Artico (107k miles so far and still looking good), and one with leather. I would certainly have another car with Artico.

PS Alcantara is also 'plastic' but doesn't seem to attract the same type of comments? :dk:

For the record an out of date poorly researched article from such a reliable source as the Daily Mail is not evidence is it?

If the Daily Mail stated that the sun would rise in the East tomorrow I'd be inclined to want more evidence...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom