Not MB...Intercooler Pipe keeps blowing off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vlad

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various Mercs come and go
Any techs or people familiar with turbo installations out there who may be able to help.

I have a 2002 Seat Ibiza 130TDi Sport which has a habit of blowing the bottom induction pipe off the intercooler.....its almost as if there is too much pressure in the system and it can't cope.

The offending pipe has been replaced with a new one, so the connecting lugs are not damaged and its also had new clips to fix the pipe to the output side of the intercooler.

However, when you give the car a good workout the bottom pipe blows off and the car goes into limp mode due to the resulting massive air leak.

What could cause this....the intercooler has been checked and its not blocked....any other thoughts

Patent it and sell it to Ann Summers? :p

Not chiped as far as I'm aware.....how easy is it to adjust a wastegate and are they easy to clean?....thoughts being that it could be full of gunge and sticking.

Re Ann Summers....patent pending!

If you can manage without the car for short time, I could have the turbo recon'd for you.

But I am trying to work out the back pressure thing, for the turbo to throw out that much force to blow the pipes off it would need to go in reverse. Does it perform ok when you give it some action? or is it a bit sluggish?
Have you checked to see if the wheel is actually spinning?

Is it possibly an aftermarket intercooler without the swaged ends?

Proper clips and don't overtighten them.

Dave!

I would check for a seized wastegate, i cant see any other reason for the high pressure that would be needed to blow of a properly secured pipe.

If the car has a turbo boost guage i would expect to see it go off the scale.

Thanks guys some food for thought....how do you check a wastegate for correct function...any idea's???

Would be worth having someone monitor the boost pressure under full load?

No idea if this can be read electronically (ie OBD data) or if you'll need a seperate gauge plumbed in temporarily. At least you'll know if the 'pipe blowing off' fault is the symptom of a different fault (effect rather than cause..)

Will

Would be worth having someone monitor the boost pressure under full load?

No idea if this can be read electronically (ie OBD data) or if you'll need a seperate gauge plumbed in temporarily.

It can with VAG scan tool, but better with a cheap gauge.

Vlad, I suspect it's just badly fitting pipes. Try a large jubilee clip around the pipe and mounting then wire them together or fit a metal strap as a retainer.

I would be really carefull about using extra methods to secure the turbo pipe (as some have suggested) without first actually checking the boost pressure under load.......If the wastegate is defective (as i suspect) then there is a chance that the intercooler instead will be blown if you make it impossible for a pipe to blow off.

I would be really carefull about using extra methods to secure the turbo pipe (as some have suggested) without first actually checking the boost pressure under load.......

I thought we'd already covered checking the boost first. This is a known problem on these cars, but it could well be a stuck vane ring in the turbo.
If the boost goes over prescribed limits the MAP will detect it and shut down the fuelling, so damage is unlikely.

Clean out with something to remove baked on carbon. There is a proprietary cleaner for this.

Vlad, I suspect it's just badly fitting pipes. Try a large jubilee clip around the pipe and mounting then wire them together or fit a metal strap as a retainer.

Yes, I thought 'we' had also untill the above was posted!!!!!!!!!

You must have missed this

...Originally Posted by Dieselman

Didnt miss anything!........known problem or not, it really is bad advice to suggest wiring up the turbo pipe without first strongly recommending the turbo pressures to be tested first.

Just trying to save Vlad the extra expense of having to buy an intercooler!

Yawn...

For some reason you are only quoting half the post. Now why would that be.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm .....a tactical diversion??

yawn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom