Not Merc - Alfa Brera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1, in fact I can remember stopping to look at one in a car park a couple of years back and I almost never do that.

Prodrive one is meant to be the one to get. Handles like it looks (apparently)

m.

Its a beautiful machine. Don't care about the so-called Alfa reliability - this car is too pretty to ignore!

The 159 saloon I owned had that motor. I did'nt keep it too long. For a diesel engine they are thirsty, turbo lag very apparant and the dpf is commonly problamatic. The later / soon introduced 210 bhp replacement is meant to suffer less turbo lag.

I love those, my friend owned the V6 petrol for about six months and I got to drive it a few times.

I don't like adverts with loads of exclamations though!!!!!!!!!!!

|It's from the same family of Fiat/GM 4 cylinder diesels found in Vauxhalls, Saabs, Fiats etc. They probably squeezed more power out of it with larger capacity and more top end boost--possibly at the expense of turbo lag? The newer twin sequential turbo versions of this engine first seen in the late Saab 9-3? and recent VAUXHALL Insignia are reckoned to be better. JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BERA is good looking car but for me it would have to be petrol engined for that true ALFA experience

|It's from the same family of Fiat/GM 4 cylinder diesels found in Vauxhalls, Saabs, Fiats etc. They probably squeezed more power out of it with larger capacity and more top end boost--possibly at the expense of turbo lag? The newer twin sequential turbo versions of this engine first seen in the late Saab 9-3? and recent VAUXHALL Insignia are reckoned to be better. JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BERA is good looking car but for me it would have to be petrol engined for that true ALFA experience

The 5 cylinder motor is actually is actually a stand alone design from the 4 cylinder motors which Saab and Vauxhall used. It was used by some Fiats and succesfully in the 156 in different states of tune/10 valve heads for example.

I think you're right about the top end boost at the expense of turbo lag. The sheer weight of the cars together with the dpf hampering the engine's characteristics are part of the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom