Not really defecting, as such...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_b

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
Our trusty Clio 182 has gone, and been replaced by a 75bhp Vauxhall 1.3 turbo diesel.

The idea being cheap to run - economical, £35 tax, low insurance group. Nice and green, she says, probably to assuage guilt caused by the SLK:)

The idea of a 1.2 ton car with a 75bhp engine didn't lead me to expect any great performance, buit the theory is it will do 60+mpg.

So, based on the 1st 1,000 miles, mostly short, (<10 mile) journeys

The reality is the performance is better than I expected, certainly not fast, but easily capable of keeping up with traffic, and reasonable overtaking capability...

1st tank of fuel produced 45mpg, in fairly hard conditions - aircon on all the time, stop start driving. Second tank 53mpg, I suspect having run it in things have loosened up a bit!

Its quite civilised to drive, the seat and steering wheel adjust so one can sit comfortably, I can plug my MP3 player in neatly, and it doesn't sound like a diesel inside the car.

We''d had a quick look at the A class MB, but weren't terribly impressed, cosidering its 50% more than the Corsa, and 3 ins groupls higher.

So, being green is OK, but I prefer something a little more fun:)

Our trusty Clio 182 has gone, and been replaced by a 75bhp Vauxhall 1.3 turbo diesel.

The idea being cheap to run - economical, £35 tax, low insurance group. Nice and green, she says, probably to assuage guilt caused by the SLK:)

The idea of a 1.2 ton car with a 75bhp engine didn't lead me to expect any great performance, buit the theory is it will do 60+mpg.

Once its loosened up (I assume its new) on a run it must be able to hit 70mpg. Try and keep it below 2k revs for optimum performance.

75hp isn't bad from a 1.3. Even petrols of that capacity are of similar HP's plus you'll have lots of low down flexible torque (probably at the level of a 2.0 NA petrol).

Agree with more miles it should do 55-60 fairly regularly?

Wifes Petrol A class (2.1) does 40+ mpg

Small cars seem to be the way to go....I would be tempted with a smart only It will not tow and carry everything we need...Also don't like the idea of being on a motorway in one.

Wifes parents have upgraded there 'passion' model to a Brabus though....

:)

An update, for those interested...

It is now run in, and fuel consumption is a rather moveable feast - varying between 45 and 90mpg - the latter is the result if you drive with economy in mind, rather than 'economy driving. Typically, 55 -60mpg.

It does have some irritating points. Electronic indicator switch, which lacks any latching, so you really need to check which way, if any, you are indicating.

Getting out the rear - its a 2 door - involves losing the fore-aft seat adjustment, and you end up having to grovel to get the seat re-adjusted so you can get back in the car:(

OK as a town type runaround.

A friend if mine has a 330D BMW automatic - which has averaged 48.6mpg over the 29k miles since he got it, which impresses me. 55-60 in a 1.3 econo box isn't that much progress

It does have some irritating points. Electronic indicator switch, which lacks any latching, so you really need to check which way, if any, you are indicating.
Arrgggghhhhhh!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That's the thing that irritates me most about my wife's Cooper S. I see that the BMW tendency to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist has obviously migrated to GM :(

Arrgggghhhhhh!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

That's the thing that irritates me most about my wife's Cooper S. I see that the BMW tendency to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exist has obviously migrated to GM :(

IIRC GM got in there first with the Vectra, and then the 5 series followed shortly after. I have no problem swapping between them but the Merc single stalk is the best.

first post alert...

Anyway the whole, seat position thing... we have had a 'new' Mini and am just selling a corsa vxr (different seats but pos same frame/runner) both 'seem' like you loose the position to the novice but in actual fact you dont! ;) the trick is when the seat is in its forward position you slide the base of the seat back first BEFORE you adjust the seat back, this way it slides to its original position and locks in place :)

Worth a try...

first post alert...

Anyway the whole, seat position thing... we have had a 'new' Mini and am just selling a corsa vxr (different seats but pos same frame/runner) both 'seem' like you loose the position to the novice but in actual fact you dont! ;) the trick is when the seat is in its forward position you slide the base of the seat back first BEFORE you adjust the seat back, this way it slides to its original position and locks in place :)

Worth a try...

Thanks for that - I've tried it, and no joy. If feels like something is sticking. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order...

A friend if mine has a 330D BMW automatic - which has averaged 48.6mpg over the 29k miles since he got it, which impresses me. 55-60 in a 1.3 econo box isn't that much progress

he must have a newer engine variant than I have, my '06 330d auto averages in the low 40's with my combination of driving (both commute, and longer weekend drives).

that said, I know what you mean abuot the economy, esp as the 330d will do it's 0-60 in a hell of a lot quicker time, should you want it to.

I'd like to try BMW's little 123d (2l twin turbo diesel) and see how that goes, it claims near 60mpg on the combined cycle, but 200+bhp.

dave

Like the Vauxhall we also have a town runnie - a Micra 1.5 Dci. Doubles as my daughter's car to learn to drive. Surprisingly spacious and punchy. Like its nature and no complaints with it...well manual rear windows are a bit of a pain. When we were moving north house my wife stayed a week to finish work and drove it with the remaining household items - double dishwasher, curtains mirrors, safe, lots more clothes, over flowing toy chests and much more.
I was surprised at how much it took and how well it drove..and tax at just £35 a year. With mpg ranging from 45 to 85 she runs on spit!

An update, for those interested...

It is now run in, and fuel consumption is a rather moveable feast - varying between 45 and 90mpg - the latter is the result if you drive with economy in mind, rather than 'economy driving. Typically, 55 -60mpg.

Getting out the rear - its a 2 door - involves losing the fore-aft seat adjustment, and you end up having to grovel to get the seat re-adjusted so you can get back in the car:(

OK as a town type runaround.

Another update:) Now with several thousand miles on the clock the engine has loosened up, and fuel consumption has decreased, and I think performance has increased slightly. Thrash it mercilessly on lots of short journeys around 48mpg. Normal driving including motorways around 60mpg. Driving gently on quiet roads 75 to 80 mpg.

One 195 mile very unhurried journey took 8.1 litres of diesel, or just over 100mpg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom