Not shifting to gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom10

Car
Mercedes B class. 13plate
Hi

My car is fine starting but when trying to shift in to gear there’s no response and there’s a loud noise coming from the engine?
It was driving fine then suddenly on the motorway went out of gear.
it’s a Mercedes B class 13 plate.

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Is that a CVT box ?
Someone who knows about these things will be along soon.
You can search for CVT in this forum.

It is automatic

Does the selector move into position but with no drive or does the selector just not move?

Does the selector move into position but with no drive or does the selector just not move?
Also do you only get the noise when trying to select or is it constant? If constant does it change depending on rpm?

Also do you only get the noise when trying to select or is it constant? If constant does it change depending on rpm?
The noise is constant from engine & the selector does not move with a sign coming up on dash saying:
WITHOUT CHANGING GEAR CONSULT WORKSHOP

The noise is constant from engine & the selector does not move with a sign coming up on dash saying:
WITHOUT CHANGING GEAR CONSULT WORKSHOP
Does it allow you to throttle in neutral? Sounds like a torque converter problem to me. I don't know loads about the CVT system to be honest but I would start looking there. I always go manual eurgh my motors. less headaches and cheaper to repair. Good luck brother. Hippie it doesn't turn into a money pit.....

A friend of mine said the same thing (torgue)
Thanks for your input fella.

Not much help but the general thought is keep away from these CVT boxes,the A and B series cars are cheaper if auto which says a lot,still I take it the car has been towed to either a garage or your home,it needs to go on star to see whats gone wrong,I see you are in Liverpool you have ecutesting near you well worth a look on line they are experts on these gearboxes.

A friend of mine said the same thing (torgue)
Thanks for your input fella.
No problem. If your getting pressure from neutral there must be build up in the converter. The outer wall may have given up which explain the grinding rattling noise. Don't run it to much as it may chew up the bell housing on the gear box rendering it unrecoverable.

Not much help but the general thought is keep away from these CVT boxes,the A and B series cars are cheaper if auto which says a lot,still I take it the car has been towed to either a garage or your home,it needs to go on star to see whats gone wrong,I see you are in Liverpool you have ecutesting near you well worth a look on line they are experts on these gearboxes.
True that. The early CVT boxes seem to be problematic even under a 100k which is crap to be fair from Mercedes heritage. I love my A200 turbo manual but all the CVT models that come up for sale have gearbox problems

No problem. If your getting pressure from neutral there must be build up in the converter. The outer wall may have given up which explain the grinding rattling noise. Don't run it to much as it may chew up the bell housing on the gear box rendering it unrecoverable.
It may just be the internals of the converter that are knackered. CONSTANT VARIABLE TRANSMISSION is basically a centrifugal clutch that acts as a ratio changer for the 3-4 basic gears in the box. Again if the internals of the converter are throwing themselves around dont run it too much as the imbalance might wreck your end bearings/seals on the crankshaft

Well had a look on the ECUtesting website,and in typical fashion MB fitted three ecu's to the B class if the op finds it is the ecu then they will recondition his ecu for £200,they list all the faults and the numbers that will come up on the star and one of the things is not being able to engage a gear so looks like the ecu has given up

Well had a look on the ECUtesting website,and in typical fashion MB fitted three ecu's to the B class if the op finds it is the ecu then they will recondition his ecu for £200,they list all the faults and the numbers that will come up on the star and one of the things is not being able to engage a gear so looks like the ecu has given up
That wouldn't explain the noise from the engine bay would it?

Does it allow you to throttle in neutral? Sounds like a torque converter problem to me. I don't know loads about the CVT system to be honest but I would start looking there. I always go manual eurgh my motors. less headaches and cheaper to repair. Good luck brother. Hippie it doesn't turn into a money pit.....
If you buy a proper merc it won't be manual🤣

If you buy a proper merc it won't be manual🤣
Who wants a detached drive? Auto is for lazy drivers. manual is far more fun! 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom