not so fun day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyg1987

Car
CLS63AMG, C63AMG Gone but not forgotten
Recently the coolant top up warning light has been coming during the cold mornings, it then goes away after. Decided to take car in the MB Aberdeen and they have advised they cannot see any leaks however upon checking the coolant it was significantly low. My car is due in for a service soon and they said they would top it up then and mix water and it should be fixed?

next thing whilst the car was in I was adviced i needed 4 new tyres. is this common to change 6 tyres in 16months, Ive done 12k miles since owning it. no track days or donuts done. I do take it through its paces as you do but mostly town driving and occassional country roads. It seems to be that the wear on all 6 tyres have been on the inside to the point of showing the metal and having a cut through each tyre like its been slashed!

i know these things eat tyres my concern is more whether it is an alignment issue or not?

what has your tyre wear been like on both front and rear?

and to add to my misery, the tech advised that i have an engine leak, and it would require taking the engine out and replacing a gasket on the lower crankcase? the car is still in warranty. they have advised it would take a week

anyone else had this problem? should i be worried?

Hi
You 100% have alignment problems.
Lucky you have the warranty for the leak, enjoy the car once it's all done.

Hi Jatt, i tried getting mb edinburgh who i bought the car from to stump up the cost of the tyres but has been quite challenging to contest. They said they would pay for alignment and thats about it.

they are disputing that the alignment couldve been out due to driver use/ potholes / bumps etc.

i am hoping once i have the new set on and alignment done i should get a bit more wear. all tyres have been MPSS as well and not cheapo ditch finders.

isn't 12k miles out of a set of tyres on a C63 good going despite the alignment issue? I have read people needing new tyres at half that mileage.

Does anyone know what the standard alignment is for a 2012 c63? just so I can check the results when I get it aligned shortly?

here are some photos be interesting to see if everyone else has the same issue? or not?

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2927.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 109
Does anyone know what the standard alignment is for a 2012 c63? just so I can check the results when I get it aligned shortly?

here are some photos be interesting to see if everyone else has the same issue? or not?

That has to be an alignment issue, you seem to have quite a bit of tread left in the centre?

I had a similar issue, had the car aligned both at MSL and the Dealer:

13880344_10205641229064727_6840313212516984718_n.jpg

Have a few other friends with C63's and they, along with MB said it normal as the car is setup like that to keep the rear inline :confused:

Not good when you're spending £1k per set and using a bicycle tyre's worth :D

It does seem that yours are wearing another couple of cm's further in though

Please take this in the way it's meant: as education.

This level of wear hasn't suddenly happened. You're driving a high performance car and you need to properly check your tyres much more regularly. If you had checked them even at monthly intervals you would have seen that there was significant wear to the inner shoulder that would warrant replacement. By the time you get to the cords showing, the tyres are both dangerous and illegal. For reference, it's 3 points and a Level 4 fine (i.e. up to £2,500) for each defective tyre so you could have been looking at a totting ban and up to £10k as a fine.

OK, now to your question.

12k out of a set of tyres on a C63 that isn't driven by a Nun is pretty nigh impossible if the tyres are to remain legal. You may have an alignment issue, but probably not. The C63 runs unusually high toe-in on the rear axle to promote stability at speed, so the rear tyres will scrub like that. At the front, due to the chosen geometry the inside shoulder wears first too. I'd say that the wear you have experienced is probably par for the course.

Last edited:
That has to be an alignment issue, you seem to have quite a bit of tread left in the centre?
That's what i thought, middle sections each had roughly between 2-4mm left in each one.

I had a similar issue, had the car aligned both at MSL and the Dealer:

13880344_10205641229064727_6840313212516984718_n.jpg

Have a few other friends with C63's and they, along with MB said it normal as the car is setup like that to keep the rear inline :confused:

Not good when you're spending £1k per set and using a bicycle tyre's worth :D

It does seem that yours are wearing another couple of cm's further in though
Did you notice more even wear after alignment? looking at your pics mine seems a bit better haha! but yes am a bit more worried like you say when you spend £1k worth and get a contact patch of a bicycle

its the lack of confidence that worries me hopefully after having it aligned ill have the peace of mind and be a bit more reassured.

Phil,

no offence taken and surely is a lesson learned going forward.

Last edited:
Defo alignment. Are u using willowbrae or newbridge Mercedes?

Defo alignment. Are u using willowbrae or newbridge Mercedes?
Newbridge Mercedes. They couldnt confirm to me that alignment was done prior to purchase but have also said that even if it did it could easily be knocked off alignment due to various reasons. Car is now booked on the 27th for alignment and i have purchased MPSS 245/35/19 and 275/30/19, going to try these sizes for a change.

Sorry to jump on your thread but has anyone used this tyre size?. If so how did you find it??

Cheers

275 on rears stock 19' is ok.

Definitely alignment issue.
However, rears will not last 12K. At best 8-10K.

Looks like a pressure issue. Probably need to run slightly higher pressures. How often do you check and what pressures do you run?

Sorry to jump on your thread but has anyone used this tyre size?. If so how did you find it??

Cheers
i just google search it on this forum and mbworld, seen a few guys saying they ran a 275/30/19 setup.

Looks like a pressure issue. Probably need to run slightly higher pressures. How often do you check and what pressures do you run?
i check pressure religiously as its easy to do on the sceeen i go with 2.8bar 41psi. i believe this is a common setup?

Those pressures seem fine, presumably rears are higher than fronts. Perhaps a slight alignment issue and characteristic of low profile 19s. 12k miles is about right for shot tyres.

I was getting no more than 6k out of the rears of my c63 and 12k on the fronts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom