(Not so) Smart Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E63S

Car
Mercedes E63S
Long story short... bought smart repair when I picked up my car from the dealer. Some idiot opened their door on mine, leaving a scuff.

Dent Wizard FINALLY came over to repair it yesterday. Below pics illustrate their sterling efforts. I’m sure you’ll agree, it matches every other panel perfectly...

D0F24B66-2CA5-4329-A1F0-BD046EAC4B9F.jpeg
Comical.

Long story short... bought smart repair when I picked up my car from the dealer. Some idiot opened their door on mine, leaving a scuff.

Dent Wizard FINALLY came over to repair it yesterday. Below pics illustrate their sterling efforts. I’m sure you’ll agree, it matches every other panel perfectly...

View attachment 81153
Comical.

****ing hell!!!!!!

Yeah. That was my response when I went out to the car this morning. On the plus side, it’s now a super rare car... there can’t be many E63S with 3 gloss finish doors and one matte finish. :D
I was just going to say, it looks like a decent job............................. if it was my car he was repairing.

:fail:

So, he sprayed the door...outside?

Yeah, basically. It was a tiny little scuff. I thought something wasn’t quite right when he asked for the keys to get the paint code, started putting masking tape all over the door and started spraying away. The useless **** even managed to spray whatever it was on the front wing too, as I can feel the rough texture when I run my fingers over it.

If it wasn’t so comically inept I’d be so bloody angry.

Yeah, basically. It was a tiny little scuff. I thought something wasn’t quite right when he asked for the keys to get the paint code, started putting masking tape all over the door and started spraying away. The useless **** even managed to spray whatever it was on the front wing too, as I can feel the rough texture when I run my fingers over it.

If it wasn’t so comically inept I’d be so bloody angry.
Outside...at this time of year (or any time of year for that matter.

Sorry to see this. So what's the battle plan? Or have they agreed to cover the cost of repair?

The car should go to an approved MB body shop and have the door resprayed and the wing polished.

(Must be MB Approved, to keep your paint warranty and anti-rust warranty)

If they won't play ball, then ask them for details of their Professional Indemnity policy and make a claim directly. In this case the insurer will have their own expert assess the repair, but judging from the photo it's a no-brainer.

Good luck....

PS - Hope they won't try the old chestnut 'it will polish out...'.

Sorry to see this. So what's the battle plan? Or have they agreed to cover the cost of repair?

The car should go to an approved MB body shop and have the door resprayed and the wing polished.

(Must be MB Approved, to keep your paint warranty and anti-rust warranty)

If they won't play ball, then ask them for details of their Professional Indemnity policy and make a claim directly. In this case the insurer will have their own expert assess the repair, but judging from the photo it's a no-brainer.

Good luck....

PS - Hope they won't try the old chestnut 'it will polish out...'.

I’ve just got off the phone with someone in their complaints team. He’s sending a different technician to rectify it on Monday. To be honest I would be amazed if it could be sorted without the need of a respray. Good call re the PI. I guess the best thing I can do is see what happens on Monday, then take it from there. I have the dealership, MB CS and AutoProtect on the case too, so hopefully they will be shamed in to fixing ASAP. You would hope that it wouldn’t get to that stage though...

I'm so sorry, what on earth was he thinking! ..... "well it grey init?"

You might want to clay mit the car all over the good new is the overspray should come off the rest of the car.

Credit to you though for seeing the funny side of it because i'd be F'ing livid.

Wow!

Did you not get suspicious when you heard the can rattle?!

:D

I know. How stupid am I to think that he actually knew what he was doing?!

I’m just driving (in disguise) to a body shop to get a 2nd opinion on what needs to be done.

I’ve just got off the phone with someone in their complaints team. He’s sending a different technician to rectify it on Monday. To be honest I would be amazed if it could be sorted without the need of a respray. Good call re the PI. I guess the best thing I can do is see what happens on Monday, then take it from there. I have the dealership, MB CS and AutoProtect on the case too, so hopefully they will be shamed in to fixing ASAP. You would hope that it wouldn’t get to that stage though...
Good luck.

And make sure you have everything documented including before, during, and after photos.....

I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing as soon as I was the picture. That is shocking. And from a "professional" too.

So I have just spoken to the owner of an independent bodyshop local to me, and he (in between laughing) said that was one of the worst repairs he has ever seen. I’m obviously not going to disagree with that! He said it would need a full repaint, and the rear door and wing would need to be addressed too, as he could feel overspray on both. Just on the phone to AutoProtect, who have told me that Dent Wizard are obliged to take any action to rectify, so at least it will be sorted. Unfortunately, until it is sorted, I have zero desire to drive it.

to me it seems "clear", and think of it as a blessing in disguise, but go Matt on all the other panels and what you've got is the pricier designio matt finish that usually costs around 2k as an option. great success (in advance ) , you're welcome btw.

I feel gutted that I didnt take them up on the smart repair policy of my own so that I may end up with Matt blue paint all over my car.

on a serious note , gutted for you. i cannot believe that the idiot who came to do the repair thought it wise to leave a car that has a 90k base price in that state and think he will get away with that quality of “workmanship”.

Did all his kit come with instructions in Braille ? Disgusting !

I've got a mental image of the guy taking a last look over his shoulder and thinking 'jobs a good un'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom