(Not so) Smart Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update...

Just took a call from the dealer where I bought it (Listers of Grimsby, who have always been awesome), and they said to not let anyone from AutoProtect or Dent Wizard anywhere near it. They are going to collect it from me on Monday, and are going to sort it in their own workshop. They're also sending me down an AMG to play with until mine is fixed. They're also going to look at refunding me for my smart insurance. Top notch CS there.

Although I am pleased at the outcome, I do think it is an absolute disgrace that these companies think it's ok to leave a pretty expensive car in such a poor state. I wouldn't trust Dent Wizard to even fit a new dust cap now.

Great result.

Well of course when you see the first photo.you have to smile,I do feel for you,a great car made to look like you could not afford a door in the right colour,these dent wizards and scuffs away can be very good,but some are terrible our local one is not good,as with anything if you can get a recommendation about the quality of the work done,that is half the battle,great to hear that MB has stepped forward and are going above and beyond for you,maybe we can start a new thread by taking pictures of dodgy paint jobs on mercede's we see,but yours is going to be hard to beat.

That is a diabolical repair. The guy responsible should consider a different career.

Great response from the selling dealer. That is what you need to hear when your pride and joy has been treated like that.

That looks like a first day apprentice has done it.

In the dark.

Will the dealer being having a word with the repair firms National office I wonder re cost recovery?

And this was a double take photo - could not believe it

Will the dealer being having a word with the repair firms National office I wonder re cost recovery?

And this was a double take photo - could not believe it

You would think so, wouldn't you. I don't think it's going to be particularly cheap to rectify.

A radical sheen change is an admin. error over an application error.

He pushed the wrong button or they supplied the wrong clear coat.
Yet I expect such finger pointing will be glossed over..

What is this smart repair option? (I know what a smart repair is but first post sounds like it is an option on new cars)
I would object to anyone making any repair that required paint outside of a workshop on my pride and joy.

What is this smart repair option? (I know what a smart repair is but first post sounds like it is an option on new cars)
I would object to anyone making any repair that required paint outside of a workshop on my pride and joy.
To be fair, if I had know there was going to be any spraying of paint or sealant involved I would have politely declined the repair. After speaking to all parties involved, not one thinks there was any need for anything more than a buff and polish. Sadly the only person who thought otherwise was the idiot who turned up to fix it...

Long story short... bought smart repair when I picked up my car from the dealer. Some idiot opened their door on mine, leaving a scuff.

Dent Wizard FINALLY came over to repair it yesterday. Below pics illustrate their sterling efforts. I’m sure you’ll agree, it matches every other panel perfectly...

View attachment 81153
Comical.
Unbelievable....but now, what it will need to rectify it...that door will have to be prepped for spraying and it and the panels on either side will have to be "faded in" with the proper basecoat, and then the complete panels will have to be finished with clear coat to restore to its proper finish. That's what will need to be done, IMHO. How you will follow up on it however is a different matter....but there can be no dispute that its shoddy workmanship...it' plain to be seen...literally !!

Wow, I am literally lost for words that anyone could do that to a car........ I would be raging, what a bloody moron.

This is why I won't use these cheap option repair companies, a couple of cars back my 10 day old E250 was scuffed by some idiot when I was parked up and they drove off. Light scuffing to the front bumper, I took it back to Merc and they arranged the repair and when I got the car back it was impossible to see the repair, all for just over £150. Yes cheaper to get the likes of Dent master to do but is it worth the hassle when this happens, this is extreme and you have to feel for the OP but I bet he would now agree the proper repair would have been a cheaper opton.

If I'm not mistaken the OP bought the smart repair insurance through his dealership, so it is their preferred repair method. If he didn't have the insurance and took his car to this particular MB dealership to repair there is a good chance they would have called Dent Wizard in anyway and charged an extra fee for the privilege. I don't think he was cutting corners/costs, he was doing what was advised by MB at the point of sale.

As others have said they have had some good results from Dent Wizard and the likes, but this particular "expert" shouldn't have been let loose with a mop in their office toilets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom