(Not so) Smart Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My dealer certainly didn't use dent master or the alikes, it was a proper approved body shop in the city that was repairing all high end motors, the Mercs were the cheaper end stuff being repaired there.

I'm sorry, but I burst out laughing as soon as I was the picture. That is shocking. And from a "professional" too.
Fecking Kindle auto correct !!! It should read, as soon as I saw the picture. Not, as soon as I was the picture.

Well I thought for a few seconds when I saw the first post and picture that the op had just wrapped one door,to get us all going ,and I laughed,but of course it was a lot more serious than that,I am not sure how a dent repair company can keep somebody employed who could do that,you have to wonder at the guys sanity,how could you continue to complete that repair given the paint was the wrong colour and flat ,it just shows they walk amongst us.

Wow, I am literally lost for words that anyone could do that to a car........ I would be raging, what a bloody moron.

This is why I won't use these cheap option repair companies, a couple of cars back my 10 day old E250 was scuffed by some idiot when I was parked up and they drove off. Light scuffing to the front bumper, I took it back to Merc and they arranged the repair and when I got the car back it was impossible to see the repair, all for just over £150. Yes cheaper to get the likes of Dent master to do but is it worth the hassle when this happens, this is extreme and you have to feel for the OP but I bet he would now agree the proper repair would have been a cheaper opton.

Seriously? I spent just shy of £100k on the car - do you really think I would try and get it repaired “on the cheap”?

Christ. Glad to hear that will be recified correctly. I'd guess spraying the whole side of the car, blending front to back, and clear coating bumper to bumper will make it look perfect. Handles off, trim off, the whole nine yards - but it'll look right when it's done.
I'm guessing the guy who did it is a bit inexperienced. Or he's a Dulux Master Tech having a go in a different industry.
On the plus side he's not left any stray bristles in the paint from what I can see...

Seriously? I spent just shy of £100k on the car - do you really think I would try and get it repaired “on the cheap”?

Don't mean to offend but my car is not worth anywhere near the 100K you spent and I wouldn't have let the likes of Dent Master or the alikes near my car. Sorry if you don't like hearing it but your picture kind of backs up my view point.
I really feel for you but as they say a picture says a thousand words.
If your scuff could have been polished out then take it to a detailer! Otherwise take it to a body shop with a decent reputation. You hear far to many horror stories to take a gamble in my opinion, the old adage of do it right, do it once, does go along way.

Don't mean to offend but my car is not worth anywhere near the 100K you spent and I wouldn't have let the likes of Dent Master or the alikes near my car. Sorry if you don't like hearing it but your picture kind of backs up my view point.
If your scuff could have been polished out then take it to a detailer! Otherwise take it to a body shop with a decent reputation. You hear far to many horror stories to take a gamble in my opinion, the old adage of do it right, do it once does go along way.

He took out insurance for this from the main dealer? How is it OPs fault?

Not really but I guess thats the thing about forums, people hear things that they don't like!
No point continuing this conversation tbh

By letting the likes of Dent Master near a 100k car....

There's nothing wrong with smart repair on any car of any value, and in many cases the damage is such that smart repair is actually the best option.

The issue here is the tech decided to respray the entire door when there was no need to, and also made a very poor job of it.

It's a bit like going to the dentist for a simple filling, and he then decides to pull-out the entire tooth when there's no need for it......

Not really but I guess thats the thing about forums, people hear things that they don't like!

As MJ says SMART repair is actually a good option on high value cars where original paintwork should be preserved if possible. His car did not need repainting, that was the error in this case.

If your scuff could have been polished out then take it to a detailer! Otherwise take it to a body shop with a decent reputation. You hear far to many horror stories to take a gamble in my opinion, the old adage of do it right, do it once, does go along way.

I don’t mind hearing it when I have made a legitimate error, but in this case I haven’t. What I don’t appreciate hearing is you being a smug, know-it-all. I believe other people on this thread will likely concur.

Ah... the Golf Harlequin... I always wondered how the colour was described in the V5C.
Well, I too always wondered that. So I found a Polo Harlequin on eBay and looked it up. The Colour is listed as "MULTI-COLOURED"

At least the OP can change the colour for his car at DVLC if that Smart Repair chap returns ...

Richard

That is a staggeringly bad job, sounds like iced spray on the wing as well. I wonder if painting the door outside in the colder weather, then not being able to bake the paint has caused it to react, hence the matt finish?

Unfortunately smart repairs have their limitations although it doesn’t sound like the ding in question was huge but beyond this guys ability.

A friend of mine did this work for many years. Often turned up to jobs which were huge and he would recommend a proper body shop. People would expect him to paint the entire side of a car on their driveway etc. Was quite a common thing.

I had a look at the other repairs he did too (built up the courage to check them finally) and he’s screwed them too. Botch job alloy repair, and a couple of stone chips on the passenger side air intake he said would “buff out easily”. Sadly it looks like he used a Brillo pad to buff, and you can still see the chips!

Fortunately I won’t have to look at it on my driveway for too much longer. MB of Grimsby are sending me a GLC 63S Coupe tomorrow, and taking mine away for repair of all three areas.

C02E0D4E-CE24-4C60-AB53-9E3C48B3F031.jpeg
80530B81-2DD2-4735-85C9-F01CFDEA5382.jpeg

Bl@@dy hell ! that's shocking, and that's putting it VERY mildly. :eek:

If they keep him employed the company will go into administration .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom