(Not so) Smart Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just picked up on this thread- entertaining if it wasn’t for your pain op, jackasses!

These smart repairs are always down to the individual operator doing the work.
I've used chips away in the past and they did a good job, a chap in work also used chips away, but got a different operator than I did, now while they didn't do a terrible job, you could see the repair om his car.

I'm glad to hear it's getting sorted i hope this is the for you when you get it back.

It's an absolute horror story I still can't belive the guy had the balls to do that and walk away from it, i get nervous when detailing a friends car incase i sod it up. He's obviously gone a bit too far with his brillo pad and sprayed the whole door to cover it up.

Yikes what a
I had a look at the other repairs he did too (built up the courage to check them finally) and he’s screwed them too. Botch job alloy repair, and a couple of stone chips on the passenger side air intake he said would “buff out easily”. Sadly it looks like he used a Brillo pad to buff, and you can still see the chips!

Fortunately I won’t have to look at it on my driveway for too much longer. MB of Grimsby are sending me a GLC 63S Coupe tomorrow, and taking mine away for repair of all three areas.

View attachment 81220
View attachment 81221
Holy crap what a cowboy - I made a better job of polishing the entire side of my daughter's Honda when it was driven into in a car park - and I'm a granny with no car repair experience and arthritis :crazy:

Yikes what a

Holy crap what a cowboy - I made a better job of polishing the entire side of my daughter's Honda when it was driven into in a car park - and I'm a granny with no car repair experience and arthritis :crazy:

Dent Wizard are interested in offering you employment. :D

What don’t you like about it, out of interest?
Several things:
- it doesn’t sound like an AMG (no sports exhaust - blows my mind when people don’t spec it)
- the boot is such a stupid shape
- the crabbing at anywhere even remotely near full lock is horrendous
- the interior feels really dated, and is a hotchpotch of a few new bits but mostly previous generation
- the new front grille is way too blingy
- it has 600 miles on it, yet has more rattles than a car with 60000 miles

Anyone who spends £75k on one of them must be mad.

Several things:
- it doesn’t sound like an AMG (no sports exhaust - blows my mind when people don’t spec it)
- the interior feels really dated, and is a hotchpotch of a few new bits but mostly previous generation

But apart from that massive list - all good yeah? :D

But apart from that massive list - all good yeah? :D

:D I forgot one other thing... it doesn’t have the IWC clock. Shocking omission.

In other news, my car should be finished by Friday, so am likely going to get it returned on Monday. It was a bigger job than they first envisaged, thanks to comical amounts of overspray on the wing, rear door, and various parts of the black trim. Dent Wizard also wanted to see the car before signing off on the payment to MB for the repair. They sent one of their regional directors, who apparently was rather shocked and embarrassed at the remarkably crap effort of their technician, and signed off the work immediately. I don’t think Stevie Wonder will be in a job much longer.

Several things:

sounds like a case of e class snobbery to me ... ;)
the rattles are part of the premium pack surround sound live instrument option.
as for the crabbing , this is an SUV , so they've engineered that “off road feeling ” even on regular asphalt. it's an amazing feat of engineering.

lastly I bet you find it quite slow compared to the E63s...
kidding aside, why would they not stick a performance exhaust on it. makes the car quite pointless without it ! I also cant understand why , as a new vehicle variant that they didnt update the interior .

I feel glad I went for the C over the GLC especially after your post.

how does it corner and stuff? does it struggle with the ride height and weight ?

sounds like a case of e class snobbery to me ... ;)
the rattles are part of the premium pack surround sound live instrument option.
as for the crabbing , this is an SUV , so they've engineered that “off road feeling ” even on regular asphalt. it's an amazing feat of engineering.

lastly I bet you find it quite slow compared to the E63s...
kidding aside, why would they not stick a performance exhaust on it. makes the car quite pointless without it ! I also cant understand why , as a new vehicle variant that they didnt update the interior .

I feel glad I went for the C over the GLC especially after your post.

how does it corner and stuff? does it struggle with the ride height and weight ?

It actually corners not too badly at all, which surprised me. When I first saw it I thought it was going to make me feel seasick, but it’s pretty planted and stays relatively flat through the corners.

I find the 9 speed a bit clunkier than in mine. When you’re accelerating hard and going through the gears (up to 70mph, obvs) there’s a distinct jerkiness with each change, which is absent in mine.

You made the right call with the C Class. Mercedes gave me a C63S to play with for 12 weeks while I waited for mine to arrive, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. The GLC feels pretty sterile in comparison, even through it’s essentially the same car underneath.

It actually corners not too badly at all, which surprised me. When I first saw it I thought it was going to make me feel seasick, but it’s pretty planted and stays relatively flat through the corners.

I find the 9 speed a bit clunkier than in mine. When you’re accelerating hard and going through the gears (up to 70mph, obvs) there’s a distinct jerkiness with each change, which is absent in mine.

You made the right call with the C Class. Mercedes gave me a C63S to play with for 12 weeks while I waited for mine to arrive, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. The GLC feels pretty sterile in comparison, even through it’s essentially the same car underneath.
lol yes , ahem , interesting that it is so jerky when hard accelerating to "70". Your dealership seems awesome btw , giving you such awesome cars ! They must really value your business. The macan tends to also suffer from the sterile experience problem. Everyone raves about the alfa stelvio as being a lot of fun.

Hope the car paint comes back looking awesome , the E really is such a stunning vehicle , I'm sure if they put you in most cars that they wouldn't impress you once you've been in the E63s! I saw an E63 estate parked up in central London today, black with a personalised number plate, and incredibly dirty , even the rain couldn't wash the grime off . lovely machines they are.

lol yes , ahem , interesting that it is so jerky when hard accelerating to "70". Your dealership seems awesome btw , giving you such awesome cars ! They must really value your business. The macan tends to also suffer from the sterile experience problem. Everyone raves about the alfa stelvio as being a lot of fun.

Hope the car paint comes back looking awesome , the E really is such a stunning vehicle , I'm sure if they put you in most cars that they wouldn't impress you once you've been in the E63s! I saw an E63 estate parked up in central London today, black with a personalised number plate, and incredibly dirty , even the rain couldn't wash the grime off . lovely machines they are.

Yeah MB of Grimsby are awesome. I’m so lucky that I went with them, and not a dealership more local.

The Stelvio looks an interesting SUV. I had a Giulia Quadrifoglio for a weekend last year, and thought it was great. On the Saturday it was sunny, and had great fun. On the Sunday it rained, and it was an absolute brute. The Mrs banned me from getting one as it scared her so much. That said, I wouldn’t have got one anyway, as The only way you can fully open the exhausts is to have it on race mode, and having it in that mode all the time would reduce your life expectancy by about 20 years. The entertainment system sucked too.

I’m pleased with my choice. Although it’s 4wd, it still feels like a rwd. I just wish all four doors were the same colour.

I’ll be getting the car back today. Will be interested to see how it looks. Everyone who has seen it says they are really pleased with the result, but I’d rather see it with my own eyes before making a final judgment.

There's nothing wrong with smart repair on any car of any value, and in many cases the damage is such that smart repair is actually the best option.

The issue here is the tech decided to respray the entire door when there was no need to, and also made a very poor job of it.

Actually that's mostly not true. A repair should be commensurate with the value of the car. All smart repairs are detectable to a trained eye - in this case if the dent couldn't be removed using PDR then it goes to a bodyshop for the whole panel to be repaired in a sealed booth. Even doing that there's no guarantee that the panel will look the same. Trying to smart repair outdoors is always a compromise - at least with wheel repairs the wheel comes off and is done inside a van.

If they keep him employed the company will go into administration .

Usually these people operate on a franchise basis.

To be honest it's partly the owners fault for letting a smart repair company anywhere near his car. I wouldn't have done so and mine is only worth £20k not £100k!

Usually these people operate on a franchise basis.

To be honest it's partly the owners fault for letting a smart repair company anywhere near his car. I wouldn't have done so and mine is only worth £20k not £100k!

Yeah, silly me. If only I was a know-it-all like you, I’d never have encountered this issue.

It's a bit like going to the dentist for a simple filling, and he then decides to pull-out the entire tooth when there's no need for it......
No dentist in his right mind likes extracting teeth it means a loss of any future revenue . They would rather have a go at fixing the tooth and charging handsomely for it each time , then finally giving up and extracting it....and charging for the extraction as well ;)

Yeah, silly me. If only I was a know-it-all like you, I’d never have encountered this issue.

Common sense surely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom