Not so smooth transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi Guys,
I'm concerned about the gear changes on my W208 (CLK320 form year 2000).
When driving normally, the gears change nice and smoothly as expected.

However, on the odd ocassion when I boot it, the gear changes are not as smooth. I only notice it on full throttle. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before, I've only noticed it over these last couple of months.

Is there something I should be checking for or asking the stealership to check for? Could this be the early signs of low oil in the gear box or something?

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

shr.

If your car has covered in the region of 60,000 miles or more, it'd be worth getting the transmission fluid changed before doing anything else. This appears to be an easy fix for symptoms such as you describe.

If your car has covered in the region of 60,000 miles or more, it'd be worth getting the transmission fluid changed before doing anything else. This appears to be an easy fix for symptoms such as you describe.

Thanks for the reply.
It's got about 65k on the clock. Next service is due in about two thousand miles. It's always been to a Dealership for servicing (got the dents in my wallet to prove it!!). Is changing the transmission fluid something they would automatically do, or do I need to specifically request it?

Also, about a year ago, there was a small oil leak coming from the Autobox underneath the car. (I only discovered this when noticing small patches of oil on my driveway after the car had been standing for several days).
The leak was repaired by my local Dealership (on the second attempt) and I was told that they reuse the old oil. I assume that they will also have topped it up before charging me?!?!

Could this leak have any effect on the problem I'm having or should I just go and have the fluid changed now anyway?

Get the fluid changed at the next service. You will need to request it though as it is not part of a service schedule.

Don't let them fob you off. Insist on it. It will cost you around the £150 mark but well worth it for smoother changes and less chance of your gearbox going "FTOOM".

Greg

WOW £150? I was hoping you would say something like 20 quid (yes, I know MB don't do two digit figures!!!)
The next service due is the big one, so I'll be forking out quite a bit anyway, but I miss those smooth gear changes.
I know when I first got the car two years ago the only way I could tell the box had moved up a gear is by watching the rev counter ping down. Now, when the higher gear engages, the car bolts ever so slightly. Admittedly, it's only noticeable when my foot is right to the floor (pass the resistance point, in the two gear kick down zone), but what's the point in having all that power and never having the odd bit of fun with it!!??

\i had some not so smooth gearchanges on my E55. Ended up being the MAS sensor and no the transmisssion.

i had some not so smooth gearchanges on my E55. Ended up being the MAS sensor and no the transmisssion.
If I drive my car normally, I don't notice any problems. It's only when, for example, I'm coming off a roundabout onto a dual carriage way and I put my foot down that I experience the slightly jolting gear change. I'm sure it didn't do that before. I'm just worried that if I don't do something soon, I'll destroy the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom