Not starting for 10 minutes when hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nando87

I have a w209 clk 320 cdi. Ramdonly, it fails starting (it just does not crank, only makes a quick start motor noise), only when hot, and this lasts exactly for 10 minutes. After that, it starts without problems at all. My local dealer and me are completly lost... Anyone has experience with this? Apart from this, everything is ok

Sounds like CPS has failed. Does your dealer not have STAR Diagnosis?

Nando87 said:
I have a w209 clk 320 cdi. Ramdonly, it fails starting (it just does not crank, only makes a quick start motor noise), only when hot, and this lasts exactly for 10 minutes. After that, it starts without problems at all. My local dealer and me are completly lost... Anyone has experience with this? Apart from this, everything is ok

Camshaft sensor or the crank angle sensor. Just had the fault myself and the camshaft sensor was at fault. Starts fine now

Definitely not a crank or cam sensor fault, Crank or cam sensor faults wouldn't stop the motor from cranking,

Sounds like a possible 'dead' spot on the starter motor commutator windings. (replace starter motor)

Definitely not a crank or cam sensor fault, Crank or cam sensor faults wouldn't stop the motor from cranking,

Sounds like a possible 'dead' spot on the starter motor commutator windings. (replace starter motor)

What about a bad engine harness. Hot spot in the cable which is causing the ecu some issues.

Thanks for your replies. I forgot to say that all these problems started after I replaced the battery using a non official varta silver (I don't know if this could have something to do). In addition, the instrument cluster's lightning with the speakers and everything else turned off is unestable when the engine is not running. What do you think?

Nando87 said:
Thanks for your replies. I forgot to say that all these problems started after I replaced the battery using a non official varta silver (I don't know if this could have something to do). In addition, the instrument cluster's lightning with the speakers and everything else turned off is unestable when the engine is not running. What do you think?
Interesting ifno. Recheck the battery connectors. Disconnect them and give them a good clean so as to make sure you have a good conduct Theo

ps: I assume the size of the battery is fine ?

I would be looking at battery terminals first, especially the earth strap.

Then I would consider the starter motor itself or its relay.

How many miles has this car done?

Could be a sticky starter solenoid well known fault in the contemporary W211 model.
W211 Starter does not turn: Intermittent - Mercedes-Benz Forum
Could be a software/electronics problem which needs the car to go on Star

The SD shows no problems at all now after we replaced the EIS (I think this is its name) which was fried (SD info) two weeks after I replaced the battery... 1800€ repair, and the car has the same problem as before, nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Must have had the key in the ignition when the power was connected. Thats known to cause all kinds of horrible problems. The worst one I ever saw was
- both fuse boxes
- cluster
- igntion barrel
- ABS module

Just from changing a battery.

Must have had the key in the ignition when the power was connected. Thats known to cause all kinds of horrible problems. The worst one I ever saw was
- both fuse boxes
- cluster
- igntion barrel
- ABS module

Just from changing a battery.

I'm quite sure the key was out, I know the problems it can cause... but I'm starting to doubt now after all these problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom