Not taxed, Not SORN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simiewimie

Car
Audi Q7
Hi. A potential purchase (pending satisfaction viewing and drive) has been untaxed since the 30th November 2021 and is not SORN.
This is a car whose owner died in the middle of last year, and his brother bought off the estate but didn’t do a transfer of ownership and has spent the time/most of that time stored in a warehouse and driven once a week around the business park.
From what I can see online DVLA have likely sent out a fine to the deceased’s address and god knows what else if those letters/fines haven’t been responded to.
I can’t speak to the DVLA until Monday, but does anybody know if things like fines based on unpaid vehicle tax are passed on to the next owner? I’m assuming not, but just thinking it’s best to check!

It's a fine on the owner, not the car, so the fine applies to the owner's estate and possibly extends to the inheritor, independent of the estate. Obviously if anyone admits to having driven it on public roads without trade plates in the meantime, there's potentially a fine there.

Your responsibility starts from the day you buy it when, of course, you'll tax and insure it.

Silly point, but depending on value, it might make sense to double check the VIN on the paperwork with the physical car, and don't buy without seeing the V5 form. "Lost ownership paperwork" could take an age to fix, in these circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom