Not the best start to Xmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
Left the better half's fam's home in Cambridge yesterday late afternoon to make my way to London, then off to Kent this morning. All for Xmas, of course.

Fpound a quiet stretch of NSL country lane and thought I would utilise the quattro and 360hp. First, second, third, brake, down to second as I go round a left hander, third to limiter and finish time trial as I exit into a village with a 30 limit.

Really enjoyed it and got the 4wd working overtime (amazing how much speed the S5 can carry with so little fuss). Pulled into a space to let a car through a narrow spot in the village and engaged first whearby the clutch stayed rooted to the floor.

Master cylinder I reckon (had a listen - lots of squelching). Apparently a common VAG fault.

Spent 6 hours waiting for, sitting in and getting out of the rescue flatbed. Got the car to a closed Dulwich Audi who had previously informed me they had no courtesy cars left as so many people have had shunts.

Carless for xmas and paid a cab down to kent this morning.

Should have kept the ML!!!

That's lousy luck - hope you can get back on the road quickly. If it is a common issue with the car, maybe parts are readily available and you can get sorted out soon.

Many years ago (early 1980's I think) I was a passenger in a friend's Quattro driving up to Aviemore in the middle of winter. It was one of the original quattro cars and just incredibly capable in the snow.

It is a half day fix....any other time of year. Audi can't look at it until the 30th as thats when their mechanics get back in...which is also my birthday so it would be a nice surprise if they gave me a call saying all done!

Can they not provide a courtesy car....

I know Audi have a deal with enterprise to provide a vehicle for broken down Audi customers.

When "the shed" broke its wheel bearing a brand spanking 212 and then a CLS I was given.

I wish they never fixed mine.

Yep a common fault on all VAG performance cars, the S4 and RS4 and all the S cars are exactly the same there used to be a performance upgrade for them that Audi did under warranty when they failed. It was one of the things I was told to check on the A8 we bought which uses the S8 Engine.

Thought they had fixed the problem on new cars particularly the S5 which is an awesome car and sorry yours has failed so soon. As regards the courtesy car have a good go at the dealer they will offer you something as a gesture of good will.

Hope its sorted soon :thumb:

Sorry to hear of your bad start to Xmas, hope it got better.

It's shocking that Audi dont have a tie in with a rental firm to cover breakdowns as I assume it a warranty repair. With MB warranties (new and used) you will get a car from Enterprise. Last time I had to use this service, I had a Vauxhall Signia the night of the breakdown, which was replaced with an S320 CDi the next day and then a CLS 320 CDi as I wanted a car with parking sensors so that my Wife could use it.

Rich... I think its time to return to a Mercedes!

Last edited:
Its shocking that Audi dont have a tie in with a rental firm to cover breakdowns as I assume it a warranty repair. With MB warranties (new and used) you will get a car from Enterprise. Last time I had to use this service, I had a Vauxhall Signia the night of the breakdown, which was replaced with an S320 CDi the next day and then a CLS 320 CDi as I wanted a car with parking sensors so that my Wife could use it.

Rich... I think its time to return to a Mercedes!

Audi also have a deal with Enterprise so can't understand why they have not offered this:dk:

sorry to hear this, its a nice car, shame they havent sorted it out for you as your driving a expensive audi (although that shouldnt matter, customer service should be to people with all modles)

We are sorted - I have a nearly new Audi A3 from Dulwich Audi and not Enterprise....not sure how the deal works but no arty claimed responsibility for getting me one so I had a word with the dealer manager.

Quite a different car from an S5, but will work for a few days!

Now just need to hear what is wrong with the S5.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom