Not the usual control knob problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteDawson63

Car
C200 cdi 2012
Hi All,
I have what I believe to be a short circuit problem on the control knob. It needs to be rewired and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of wiring for this item?
I thought I'd try repairing myself, but it will end up at the local garage if there's no info to be had.
Any help would be very wecome.

How have you decided its a 'short circuit' problem - that is a stange thing and there is almost no wiring to be re-wired (its a ribbon cable). It takes power and CAN bus (The telematics can bus). I suspect that no garage will be able to repair it, they are mechanics not electronics engineers.They will want to replace it. Sadly you are a bit far from Lightwater in Surrey.
Unless somehow the wiring has been cut ?

R

How have you decided its a 'short circuit' problem - that is a stange thing and there is almost no wiring to be re-wired (its a ribbon cable). It takes power and CAN bus (The telematics can bus). I suspect that no garage will be able to repair it, they are mechanics not electronics engineers.They will want to replace it. Sadly you are a bit far from Lightwater in Surrey.
Unless somehow the wiring has been cut ?

R
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
I had the car fully scanned for error codes and it came back with a C253500. (also C253400 and C243800) Looking around on the internet I found someone who had the same code and it turned out to be a short circuit in the cigerette lighter. Putting 2 and 2 together, I figured my command knob being dead might be something similar. I have replaced the command knob and no luck. I also replaced the radio unit with no luck (tried each combination to make sure both new units were tried together)
I'm assuming there is a short somewhere in the wiring after the connection near te gear lever. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but seemed reasonable to me.
I have tried my local electricians and he couldn't find a wiring diagram, so no luck there. My plan is to remove the centre consol and trace the wires to a connection beyond the plug near the gear lever to check for problems or to rewire if necessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom