Not urgent, but time-sensitive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
My CLS went in for a service today under the service plan.

The dash showed that it needed a Service E, but the garage has done a Service B. I did highlight to the receptionist on arrival that the dash displayed E and she wrote it on the job sheet.

I have seen on another forum (not UK-based) that Service E includes replacing brake pads.

They have replaced my rear pads, but I have been charged for this, so my question is whether anyone knows definitively if Service E does include replacing pads or not.

Also, is there anything else I have missed out on by having a B done instead of an E?

The reason this is time-sensitive is that we are driving to France on Thursday and, if I am going to kick up a noise, I really need to do it tomorrow.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Don't they tend to say that consumable items like brake pads are at additional cost, or had you paid for a specific scheduled service (including parts)?

It could be that they think they're doing you a favour by not performing the more expensive (?) E service when you don't need pads for both axles. - Maybe that's not plausible?

They aren't included in service plans

Service E is just an A service with whatever requirements set for age/mileage at time of service

A B service would be a major service

I'd forget it. As stated, there's no such thing as an E service. They alternate A B A B etc, with other added jobs as specified at specific years / mileages.

Older cars did show services due from A to whatever, but that was basically the same thing.

If it was a franchised MB dealer they would check service required on their electronic system and have obviously picked up on rear pads as well.

No service automatically includes replacing pads (or discs) and if done is at extra cost.

More to the point...

Why let them replace the rear pads, did the message come up on dash saying they were low? (Presuming this is a function on the car)

It is confusing but your dash is telling you two things, first that it just needs a "Service" and secondly, what it thinks needs doing will take "E" hours, higher the letter the longer it will take. You can check on the dash what the jobs it thinks need doing are, it will give you a bunch of numbers, and compare with your service book to see what they refer too, for instance 'Service 3' is replacing the engine oil.

The Service A and Service B referred to by your garage are just a way for the service department to package up the common items for easy pricing.

brake pad replacement fronts 1*2 hours rear 1 hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom