Not using car very much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Orland

Car
C class 220d Premium Plus estate
In this difficult time, my Mercedes 220 premium Plus estate only goes shopping once a week and only does about 20 miles a week, any tips on how to assist the engine to stay in good health.

Nothing. just use it more when we all can. Keep an eye out on the oil level etc.

Maybe one thing. When its hot. Give it some welly. This helps keep the DPF cleaner. Also use premium fuel.

I would definitely use it for a minimum of a few miles a week or maybe for 30 minutes every couple of weeks or so and ensure the aircon is switched on. Aircon doesn't like not being used for too long which leads to leaky seals and loss of refrigerant.

If the 20 miles is one round trip to go shopping then you are already doing better than most to look after the engine. because that will get both the coolant and the oil up to temperature. You don't need to do anything else

Also think about the battery, I'm in a simialr position with my S204 C220 parked on my driveway, I have a cheapo battery condition tester connected and visible through the tailgate so I can see when the green fully charged light disappears and I need to put the charger on it. I do a 3-4 mile run Sat and Sun involving 2 starts, plus maybe a 4 mile each way naughty trip to the supermarket, and find I have to put the charger on every couple of weeks. I bought a SIP Chargestar Smart 18 Automatic from Toolstation and find it excellent for my 100Ah wet battery, don't know what yours has but it does gel and AGM as well.
The tester I have is one of these :
Obtainable from Lidl when they have them for a bit less,, but not ATM!

On the occasion that I do use the car, I try to drive around until the ECO symbol on the dash goes green, this means the battery is reasonably charged.

Maybe one thing. When its hot. Give it some welly. This helps keep the DPF cleaner. Also use premium fuel.

Where did that come from? That's the opposite of what you should be doing. Giving it some welly produces more soot and fills the DPF quicker.

Mine has not been used much, its doing about 10 miles a week, mainly to just get it moving and the tyres and other parts rotated. I have recharged the battery after a month of little use as there are electronics that run all of the time regardless of use.

Once it has done around 300 miles of low use I will take it for a longer run to allow for a DPF regen to occur, little point before then as it won't trigger one before that. More likely lockdown will have been eased before I need to and it will just be semi normal use by then.

The fact you are using it weekly will be enough really, its only the battery I would look at if you have a charger at home.

Where did that come from? That's the opposite of what you should be doing. Giving it some welly produces more soot and fills the DPF quicker.

Mine has not been used much, its doing about 10 miles a week, mainly to just get it moving and the tyres and other parts rotated. I have recharged the battery after a month of little use as there are electronics that run all of the time regardless of use.

Once it has done around 300 miles of low use I will take it for a longer run to allow for a DPF regen to occur, little point before then as it won't trigger one before that. More likely lockdown will have been eased before I need to and it will just be semi normal use by then.

The fact you are using it weekly will be enough really, its only the battery I would look at if you have a charger at home.

It comes from experience. We remove DPF's quite often. The cars that get driven harder always have a cleaner DPF. The cars that poodle about such as taxis suffer from the DPF sooting up. The "welly" drives more air through the exhaust and therefore keeps it cleaner.

How long do new cars sit around on a field before delivery to a new customer?

A few months?

How can a dpf clog up if the car isn’t being used?

Yes tomorrow I dig the car out and go shopping,which is only a 4 mile round trip but having loaded up with shopping I go up the A120 to Horsley Cross roundabout and then come back adds another 16 miles to the trip and most will be a 60 mph the limit :cool: so the car gets a decent run.

Be realistic - what happens to your car when you go on a fortnight’s holiday ?

Take it out for a weekly drive if you can. Drive normally and enjoy what it does best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom